Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Need a new battery!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm tight with the parts manager at the dealership down the street (don't know where the local Delco supplier is...don't think that there's one very close)...would the dealership carry the Pro grade?

If not, might have to start some googling...
Old 04-12-2010, 02:31 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skolman91
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_65540594/
looked that up just for you... dated sept 2000, take over probably happend early 2001.
was gonna say alot more but i think ill just stick to my opinion of rumors and internet myths..
I knew that the take over had happened and was not saying you were incorrect about that. I was simply referring to the fact that some had posted that this brand and that brand are simply better than others when the same company basically mass produces them all and sticks different stickers on them. I will say that optima is a gel cell and that the same plant produces them as always and has never changed even when it was sold to Gylling by Gates, so QC should be at the same level if not elevated with Johnson Controls aquisition from Gylling.
Articles for more info
http://www.google.com/search?q=histo...ed=0CDAQ5wIwCg
Old 04-12-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

ok sorry guess i misunderstood you then. and i would agree you would think QC would be the same. but when you can go to any advanced or auto zone and buy one i think they have lost some of that QC for quanity. to put out that many the only thing that sets them selves apart from the other names on the list is that its a "supposed" gel cell battery. and like i have said before just dont think its worth the extra money for the risk of failure ive seen with them, again just my opinion..
Old 04-12-2010, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I'm tight with the parts manager at the dealership down the street (don't know where the local Delco supplier is...don't think that there's one very close)...would the dealership carry the Pro grade?

If not, might have to start some googling...
If your dealership is like mine, we can get delco parts same day from a local distributor, they offer us two runs, 11am and 3pm
Old 04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I'd never heard any bad on the Optima of any color. I thought they were just expensive bulletproof batteries that the stereo geeks loved?

BTW, what "group series" are our batteries?
75 and 78 series both work. Depending on the application but I always go with a 78.

Originally Posted by marlboroman71818
I have had a yellowtop for 4 years that had been completly discharged for 6+ months and a red top for two that also had been fully discharged. Both times put them on a battery tender for a few days and no problems comming back to life and working perfectly.

Seems like to me that the internet can give any product a bad name just because someone has heard of someone that heard of someone that might have had a problem with it and didnt know how to properly restore it.
+1 on that. i have had a yellow top for a couple years and I love it. I bought it because we all have enclosed trailers with lights on/in them that we use when we hunt around here. So I bought the yellow top so I didn't have to burn gas when running the lights, and for the last couple years it's worked great. Enough power to turn the truck off and leave the lights on.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrgoodwrench3
Go with a Delco Pro. Cannot go wrong.

So, the hi end Delco that hirdle j used w/. 800 CCA's for $80 exchange is a Delco Pro?

Johnson Control makes Delco, Interstate and Optima....

From Wikipedia:

Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a.k.a. Interstate Batteries, is a privately-owned company that markets automotive batteries manufactured by Johnson Controls through nearly 300 independent distributors. The company is based in Dallas, Texas. The current owner and chairman is Norm Miller.

Johnson Controls manufactures batteries for the following private labels:

Interstate Battery

Die Hard Battery

Duralast Battery

Kirkland Logo

Kirkland Battery

Everstart Battery

Prostart Battery

Johnson controls also makes some or all of these batteries as well.

Acura, Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto, Tough One, Alliance, American Hardware, Ames, Varta, Blains Farm & Fleet, Battery Alliance, Bosch, Carrefour(Europe), Champion, Amara Raja Batteries LTD(Joint venture with Johnson Controls India).

Varta, Optima Batteries, LTH, and Heliar are all battery manufactures owned by Johnson Controls.

Johnson Controls supplies Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu with original equipment batteries. So next time you go and buy a battery, or a automobile chances are its a battery made by Johnson Controls.
Interesting for sure, I'd never have guessed.

I get the Delco batteries from my AC Delco supplier, Dealer Source. They are different then ones sold in retail stores. Check with your local Delco warehouse.
That means the avg Joe is S.O.L. cause it's wholesale @ Delco warehouses, right?

Originally Posted by h20son
If your dealership is like mine, we can get delco parts same day from a local distributor, they offer us two runs, 11am and 3pm
Must be an advantage of living in MI.

camochevy21, IDK the dimensions betw. 75 & 78 series, but both work for you, & you prefer the 78. I might wanna figure this out now, so when time comes, I'll know & can just get it rather than hunt lookin for it. Cause my stuff breaks when its 0* or 95*.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-12-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:46 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by fastnblu
So, the hi end Delco that hirdle j used w/. 800 CCA's for $80 is a Delco Pro?
That's what I gather, gotta find out from Joe where he got it for that price, and talk to my guy at the Chevy dealer down the street and see what I can get it for from him
Old 04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by budhayes3
That's what I gather, gotta find out from Joe where he got it for that price, and talk to my guy at the Chevy dealer down the street and see what I can get it for from him
Yah for sure, my batt took a **** last week..
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by skolman91
ok sorry guess i misunderstood you then. and i would agree you would think QC would be the same. but when you can go to any advanced or auto zone and buy one i think they have lost some of that QC for quanity. to put out that many the only thing that sets them selves apart from the other names on the list is that its a "supposed" gel cell battery. and like i have said before just dont think its worth the extra money for the risk of failure ive seen with them, again just my opinion..
Yes, the optima isnt really a "gel" battery, it is a spiralcell AGM battery. I was trying to just be quick about it to show the manufacturing was different.

Could you elaborate more on this, you believe that because the company has done a good job of keeping up with customer demands and were able to market the product to where it would be easily obtainable for the customer their quality has dropped? I am sure they have production phases. Really though I am not understanding your train of thought, I understand that you do not like the product which is cool, but what I dont understand is why you are saying things that are not valid and are contradicting to what the company has accomplished. A company doesnt get to be on top by making bad products and staying as small as possible.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

well imo anytime you raise output of something your going to get more chances for an occasional faulty product. and i understand not every 1outof5 coming off the line is going to be bad. but when you dont up size the company and then ask it to double its output, that previous small % of defect/faulty stuff gets doubled too, no matter what kind of QC is in place.(and obviously any decent QC should be able to catch any and all defects before they go out the door)
Also im not just directing this toward batteries, this goes with anything being mass produced wether its cars, tvs, whatever..
I dunno i guess ive worked in a fast paced assembly line job and that might have biased me toward that way of thinking, i dunno..? but thats my train of thought for the most part on it..

Quick Reply: Need a new battery!