Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

The new "L" should GM be scared?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The new

yea my dad is on a weighting list for one and i told him bring it because i will hopefuly be done with my truck by then and will smoke his expensive truck. Any ways i like the truck and i am not a ford guy but i loved my dads 03 L. say what you want but from the dealer with a warenty it has good power and looks and handles good has nice interior. all with a waranty i think it is a all around good truck but would not trade my chevy for it.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So what's the price of it? Surely it's got to be a LOT more than the 03's?
Old 09-09-2003, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually like it. They missed on some key areas like independent rear suspension and their cool charge idea It is a 4600lb. truck used for straight line speed -independent rear is not going to hook as well on a launch and it is too heavy to take advantage of the independent rear handling benefits.
The cool air charge to the intercooler is a good idea, but unfortunately I doubt the idea will see production. ( if that was that was a production listing) The idea that a company of mass production would spend that much time and parts cost into a system like that is unlikely.

Overall, I think it is one badass truck! I have worked on a couple of Fords though and have always found stuff to be backwards, or they have used parts that make you ask yourself "what were they thinking" I think truck enthusiasts will have a little something to be scared of though...

Old 09-09-2003, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have worked on a couple of Fords though and have always found stuff to be backwards, or they have used parts that make you ask yourself "what were they thinking"
case and point the two inch extended cab behind the door um...okay
Old 09-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Default Re: The new "L" should GM be scared?

One of the reasons I did not get a 03 L is the looks (and the missing back seat). The melting blob look just does not turn my crank. The Silverado SS fit my list the best and looks great (to me). I actually like the look of this new L concept truck, and that is saying a lot coming from a life long Chevy guy. It will be interesting to see how much of that concept makes it to production. One thing is sure, Ford is ready to duke it out with the Dodge srt 10.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with ryan 100% when it comes to working on them or just things like he mentioned. why do they do certain things. i have worked on some other peoples fords lifting them and such and you can have 3 identical trucks all 2003 models and they will all have diffrent parts on them this makes it hard when getting parts.

but all around i love the lightning and if i was going to buy another daily driver truck it would be one. but i would still have the little ol chevy that would drag it.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

GM is playing it conservative with the SS and SSR. I dont think GM will ever step up. We need SLP to do it like they did with the Firehawk, Ultra Z, GTX, and S-10 Extreem. I feel that GM will always have more power potential, and beter looks.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel that GM will always have more power potential, and beter looks.
I could not agree more.....
Old 09-11-2003, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

I've said it before, do you think GM will actually make a truck that would put down comparative, if not better numbers than it's flagship the Corvette?
I think that's a big factor. Remember, GM rated the F-bodies at 305 hp, yet some people were getting ~300 rwhp stock, which equates to about what the LS1 Corvette makes. That's how seriously they take the perception of the Vette performance. If they won't admit how close another performance car's power output is to the Corvette, do you think they'll let a truck compete with it? Ford has shown they don't care about stuff like that; the Lightning was the fastest thing they had until they decided to supercharge the Cobra last year.
Also, someone mentioned the limited market for an expensive hi-performance truck. When the SS was anounced, GMHTP magazine asked a GM exec about it vs the Lightning. He said they'd rather make an all-around vehicle that will sell more units. Also, considering the price of such a truck, the typical buyer is an older chap who is less likely to be concerned with hauling more *** than cargo.
Anyway, you can always buy a GM truck and mod it to beat a Lightning.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

I heard on the new magazine from HOT ROD that berger is preparing to biuld a GMMG 2003 Black SS reg. cab with a LS6 and a six speed test truck..the question is Will they or Will they not?

Quick Reply: The new "L" should GM be scared?