Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

New guy with a problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with a problem

Hi everyone, I finally joined today after about a year of lurking. I own a pewter 2001 Silverado RCSB 4.8 w/ approx. 118,000mi, all stock performance-wise except for a flowmaster catback system. I am a student @ UAB with my major being mechanical engineering so money for mods is very sparingly. I decided, after seeing the great tech. knowledge here this would be the perfect place to get help. After I couldn't find what I wanted using the search I decided to register in order to get help.(selfish I know)

About a month ago I was speeding up in the on ramp to get on the interstate. I was getting on the interstate and there was no one around so I decide to stomp on the pedal @ about 50mph and the truck took off. After I punched it and carried the rpm's over to about 5k I heard a rattling noise coming from the engine compartment and this is still the problem that ails my truck now. When I take the truck to above 5k rpm's to however high the stock programming will allow it to go the truck rattles and the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light starts blinking on and off. I took it by advance auto parts and had them check the diagnistic port and it showed a P0302 or a cylinder 2 misfire detected. Since then I have changed the plugs and wires thinking it was something wrong with the ignition system but the same trouble code appeared (P0302). I took the valve covers off, took out the push rods checked them, they were straight and the holes in the middle weren't blocked. so now here I am at a loss and I don't know whats wrong with my baby. any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

could be a bad coil pack or nasty injector???
Old 06-15-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

The sound you are hearing is called detonation!!!! Dont do it again. Something is seriously wrong if ytou here that!! I dont understand why its happening because you dont have many mods. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you a more detailed answer.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Try running some injector cleaner. One of the injectors might be clogged which would make you run lean causing pinging. Could be a bad tank of gas possibly. Also, easy thing to do is check and replace the fuel filter. I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Injector cleaner new fuel filter and try some higher octane gas if the others dont fix it.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

cant help you with your problem but it is good to see another person from bama on here!
Old 06-15-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alabama ROCKS! lol j/k
Old 06-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

My truck did the same thing above 5500 when it was stock. I opted to NOT do it again untill I had a good tune! I was actually running 90 octane at the time?? So Ive always kinda wondered the same thing as well?
Old 06-15-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, sounds like detonation. changing the fuel filter helps, (at least it felt like it did a little in mine.) my truck did this also a little bit when it was stock and would do it again every now and then. I would do what everyone said run some injector cleaner, or if possible run some injector cleaner directly through the fuel rails. and run some good gas for a little while.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Also, since you have very high mileage, it would be a good idea to run some Seafoam through your intake manifold. It will clean all of the oil puddled in the intake manifold and will also help remove the carbon build-up (which causes pinging) on the pistons.
Philip S.

Quick Reply: New guy with a problem