Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

new truck/ new setup= good gas mileage (goal)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new truck/ new setup= good gas mileage (goal)

just bought a 2005 cc 1500 z71 on friday. this truck will be my daily driver/family wagon.

it has 3.42 rear end and 285/70/17 tires on it the goal is to get the best MPG possible but still be able to hold its own. only drove it 20 miles on a 55mph road with 5 stop lights on it. i netted 17mpg (stock truck with out speedo corrected).

MODS: (to be installed)
pacesetter LT headers and ORY.
BB tune (87oct)
elec fans (factory)
k&n intake
flowmaster muffler (came on truck, and is pretty quiet)
trailblazer stall
built trans

according to this calculator http://www.chevellestuff.com/tools/rpm_calculator.htm
@ 70mph i will be at 1722 RPMs
@ 75mph =1845 RPMs
@ 80mph =1968 RPMs

so my guess is i need a motor that has tons of tq so that at those rpms the motor will have some power and not be a dog. looking to get better then factory MPG.

will a torque cam for a 5.3 be enough to push this heavy truck or should i opt for a torque cammed 6.0? budget is $2000.

What are your ideas and thoughts.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SimpleManLance
... 3.42 rear end and 285/70/17 tires on it the goal is to get the best MPG possible but still be able to hold its own. only drove it 20 miles on a 55mph road with 5 stop lights on it. i netted 17mpg (stock truck with out speedo corrected).

MODS: (to be installed)
pacesetter LT headers and ORY.
BB tune (87oct)
elec fans (factory)
k&n intake
trailblazer stall
built trans

so my guess is i need a motor that has tons of tq so that at those rpms the motor will have some power and not be a dog. looking to get better then factory MPG.

will a torque cam for a 5.3 be enough to push this heavy truck or should i opt for a torque cammed 6.0? budget is $2000.

What are your ideas and thoughts.
Well u asked, I've got a few thoughts. You picked the heaviest in the fleet, so the good gas mileage title is kinda an oxymoron to me. Just sayin.

Drive it some more, or go thru a tankful, then do a full tank on gauge to a full tank, then calculate. I think that'd be more accurate than a short run. I think the 3.42s will help tho.

A stall, & u want better than stock MPG figures? That right there raises your starting RPM's by ~600 rpm.

That stuff aside, what mods are on the truck already, beside the Flowmaster? Cause a $2k budget sounds like it'd be real tuff, depending on what u have for mods already, or depending on how crazy mods will be like the K&N & tranny as outlined below. I put estimates, if ya already have em, so be it, or if ya get a deal, it's a different story.

pacesetter LT headers and ORY. $400
BB tune (87oct) $2-300
elec fans (factory) $100
k&n intake panel or CAI? - $50 or $200
trailblazer stall $100-200 junkyard or a reworked CircleD? $395
built trans Not sure what you're goin for here buddy, just a shift kit & servos, cause u know how much a FLT costs.

A torque cammed 6L for MPG? If ya said for a runned, OK, but if it were my $, just jam a torque cam in the 5.3. I know someone is gonna tell me their 6L gets this, & if it's GMCtrk, well you're running 4.10s & a 3600 stall, so you're out.

Lance I do wish good luck, & I hope ya get what ya want MPG-wise. But that weight is gonna be your nemesis. It looks clean tho.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-07-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's what I'd say.

Smaller tires(narrower=less rolling resistance)
cam the 5.3 for torque
stock mani's & cats(can get into closed loop faster)
CAI of your choice
87 octane tune(BB is good, discuss your goals with him)
consider lowering the truck and put a lip under the front bumper(reduce drag)
Install a vacuum gauge, try to stay in as much vacuum as possible at all times
basically, teach yourself better driving habits.

The e-fans won't improve your mileage(in my experience), but will cost $$
built trans isn't necessary, unless yours goes ****-up
TB converter will hurt your mileage
Old 04-07-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
cam the 5.3 for torque

The e-fans won't improve your mileage(in my experience), but will cost $$
built trans isn't necessary, unless yours goes ****-up
TB converter will hurt your mileage
I never even thought of the stock man. / cats thing - closed loop. But I've been running headers since I had 16k, so stock was long ago.

Lowering I think did help me. IMO, a tonneau helps, but not what mine cost, so cost recovery vs MPG gains offset poorly, I did it for storage, security & a look. If cost there's a concern, there are cheaper, so I think that helps MPG too.

E-fans didn't do much, if any. Actually, they lower parasitic, but electrical draw places demands that affect mileage. I spent the coin already on e-fans, but I like how it creates room, so they stay.

****-up.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-07-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Tonneau info.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

same truck I got man, and I love it. If you want the best mpg, I wouldn't put a cam in there. even if its a little tq cam, it's going to want more air and more FUEL, and I've never seen a aftermarket cam on a mild setup put more tq down at a lower rpm then the stock cam...
Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

On my 5.3 2005 ECSB silverado 4x4, I get about 17-19 average... With a tune, volant cold air intake (ram air tube behind tow hook) and a flow master exhaust... I also have the L33 aluminum engine and it came factory with the electric fans. I am not sure how much heavier your truck is than mine. I did install a transgo hd-2 and vette servo, but don't think that helped gas mileage any. I wouldn't complain the gas mileage you saw. Also these are only 4l60e's if I wanted better gas mileage I would get a 6l80e for the extra gears to help and a better tranny as well (better over drive also). Maybe the newer trucks also with active fuel management also helps by only having to feed half the cylinders also....
Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
cam the 5.3 for torque
CAI of your choice
87 octane tune(BB is good, discuss your goals with him)
All this, except for the CAI. Just modify your stock box and make your own "free-flowing" tube.

If you want tires the same height, but narrower, look for some 235/80/17's.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 PM
traveling mod

As mentioned before get a smaller tire..I had 285's on mine for awhile and then went to 255 75 17's and i could def tell a difference between the 2..

Id go with some 1 5/8 headers,cai of some sort,ls6 cam or similar cam,tune,smaller tires,
Old 04-07-2011, 07:36 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I forgot to mention this about selecting tires for mpg. You want 4 ply tires, not 6 or 8 ply tires. Also, do not select tires with aggressive tread, or large voids in the tread. Do NOT have them siped. Ask for tires with low rolling resistance and a high treadwear rating.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

all the things on the "MODS" list i have except the black bear tune. they are just not installed. i just dropped the trans off at the local guy to build it to handle a cammed 6l(just in-case). the $2000 was above and beyond the things in the MODS list.

the window sticker says 15/18mpg on it. im hoping with the right driving habits i can do 15-17/18-20mph. i just want to have fuel economy in mind when i add stuff to the truck. i dont really want to give up MPG, if anything gain them.

dont really want to swap tires or lower the truck. i actually plan on leveling out the truck because the front sits lower. so the torsion bars will be cranked some. i got to be able to climb the sand dunes.

im worried with the 342s and the bigger tires it will be a dog on the highway. i dont really want the truck to have to downshift to climb a incline. thats why i was thinking more torque. that way it has the power for crusing to push itself and a little extra when i want to hammer down. im not going to drive it like a grandpa 24/7.

Quick Reply: new truck/ new setup= good gas mileage (goal)