Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

No start - clicks.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
How did you test the starter? It sounds like that is the problem...that or there is corrosion in one of the battery cables that you can't see as it's hidden by the insulation
Buy starting the truck 20-30 times

It doesn't labor while cranking.....tapping on the starter doesn't do anything when it doesn't start.

I'm keeping any one on it - but the truck has been fine all day, we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

No start today again - disconnecting and reconnecting the battery didn't work.

I guess I'm going to have to start from scratch.

I'll remove the relay tonight and jump terminal 30 and 87 as recommended and go from there.

It sucks that it's cold out and since it won't start I can't even get it into the garage.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nocooler
.....tapping on the starter doesn't do anything when it doesn't start.
Did you try beating the sh*t out of it? Some times a bigger hammer works.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sc00by
Did you try beating the sh*t out of it? Some times a bigger hammer works.
Yes...

I jumped the relay today - and the solenoid engaged but the starter didn't. So I pulled the starter and had it tested for grins, as I thought it was good.

Now it's time to go over the grounds.....
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nocooler
Yes...

I jumped the relay today - and the solenoid engaged but the starter didn't. So I pulled the starter and had it tested for grins, as I thought it was good.

Now it's time to go over the grounds.....
Having a starter "tested" is worth next to nothing. Trust me, I have tested plenty of starters in the past 3 years and many of them come in the door with problems but work great on the bench tester.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Having a starter "tested" is worth next to nothing. Trust me, I have tested plenty of starters in the past 3 years and many of them come in the door with problems but work great on the bench tester.
Scott is right, I've seen guys bring their starter into AutoZone or wherever and it seems like they always test out good, even when they're smoked.

Check to see if you have 12v to the starter solenoid while cranking, and I'd also make sure that you have the full 12v on the big B+ cable to the starter. If that's all good, then, simply put, the starter is at fault.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Scott is right, I've seen guys bring their starter into AutoZone or wherever and it seems like they always test out good, even when they're smoked.

Check to see if you have 12v to the starter solenoid while cranking
I don't have voltage while cranking.....everything goes dead as soon as I hit the key....

I'll take my chances with the starter for now......It's not like it's hard to R&R.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

I gotta Go with Billy n the other boys on this one..... having worked in a couple auto parts stores I can tell you horror stories..... Think of it this way, if ur gunna spend money into it woudlnt you rather just put the $70 in the starter and know its good and not have to replace it again and to boot its even already out of the truck!! I would rather deal with a starter then a battery any day, I always get stuck working on the ones that have corrosion and acid allover ther terminals and end up with battery acid skin........

Make sure that you shim the new starter if applicable and it prob wouldnt hurt to re-ground that starter just in case..... extra 5 minutes with a wire brush on the frame and that new ground should do just fine.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by aeorozco
I gotta Go with Billy n the other boys on this one..... having worked in a couple auto parts stores I can tell you horror stories..... Think of it this way, if ur gunna spend money into it woudlnt you rather just put the $70 in the starter and know its good and not have to replace it again and to boot its even already out of the truck!! I would rather deal with a starter then a battery any day, I always get stuck working on the ones that have corrosion and acid allover ther terminals and end up with battery acid skin........

Make sure that you shim the new starter if applicable and it prob wouldnt hurt to re-ground that starter just in case..... extra 5 minutes with a wire brush on the frame and that new ground should do just fine.
If it was $70 I'd just do it.....it's $200 for a reman and more for a new.

I'll think about it......

I know a bench tester isn't 100%, as the starter is free wheeling, and if there is a bad spot it may never land on it.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

hit up junk yards man. i had the same problem, it is DEF your starter. i lucked out with mine, my friend had his starter from his v6 after his 5.3 swap and GAVE it to me for 20 bucks.

Quick Reply: No start - clicks.....