GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Northern Area exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:19 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Northern Area exhaust question

Since I live where there is salt all winter long is there any other material I could use for a custom exhaust besides say 304ss. I was looking at buying jsut dynatech headers, aerochambers and having a local shop fab my up a system. Would aluminized steel even have a chance? If I do it, I'm gonna do it once though. I really don't need the bling of ss and I was thinking of painting them back with high temp paint any ways...

On second thought I think the Aerochambers are aluminized steel, does this mean if I want a welded system I can't use ss tubing?

Last edited by PSM; 04-09-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:39 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

316 will resist corrosion better. Why not just get all the stainless coated with a ceramic type coating? Then you'd have the best corrosion resistance and the insulation.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:23 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking about getting it coated, but I'm trying to save some sort of money on it I swear its not possible, yea you can save some in the short run, but its ends up being go big or go home no matter how you slice it.

So you think I should get the whole system completely stainless and coat the whole system headers to tip?

Another thing to add is I don't really care how the system looks aside from the tips because the whole undercarage of the truck will be rust from the salt any ways
Old 04-09-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I live in Mich., believe me when I say road salt is my nemesis. Granted, I spent some coin (see sig on exhaust stuff), but I should never have to buy exh. again. I'm stainless from front to back. I had my Dyna's ceramic coated. It allows cool to touch inside ~20-30 min. & keeps heat out of engine bay. I even had their Y & cats done. The cats were just my experiment to see how much heat they get & could the ceramic hold up. On 1 the ceramic held up, the other flaked due to excess heat. Before I had coated I was told he had a much higher temp. coating but it was black so I said no. Morale: Don't coat cats on a DD or use hitemp black coating. If you find someone who can weld s/s, then I say go w/it. The hi temp black ceramic coating can be applied to get rid of so-called bling.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

FWIW
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...gnaflow+winter

My Corsa still looks pretty much new after another winter.
The MF muff I have looks much worse than these pics from last summer.

A lot of guys around here just run aluminized and it lasts for years at 1/2 the cost.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe I should mention I'm not a fan of bright shiny exhaust, even the tips. I'd like the hole system to have that dull metal look like the stock exhaust does. Is it possible to get this look and keep it that way through all the winters? If I remember right you can get dull stainless tubing...
Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Moodoo, I read all 5pgs. just now. Lots of great info. Ngianop said 400-series s/s has more iron. Tells me all I need to know right there. Any posts by Bill Reid always teach me something; I always pay attention to any of Bill's posts. FWIW, my Corsa looks great after 1, maybe 2 winters; had on Dynas a bit longer.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I never put tip on my Corsa, so u could get rid of any bling that way too. I never installed since I wanted to use a different tip. I planned on a Magnaflow tip LOL. Anyway, have a shop tuck in under if u want. If u read other posts, u'll see the guy I use for coating has more than 1 option for exhaust. Just another idea for ya.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:47 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 01:27 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tailpipes on my Gibson cat back held tough for a good 6 years with the winters here in New Jersey, then I removed them and dumped it before the axle when I lowered the truck. They were still solid at the time. I still have the catback on the truck, minus the tailpipes. It's been about 7 or 8 years....it aint pretty, kind of yellow-silverish-orange-brown, but it's solid. Not sure what grade of stainless Gibson uses, but I'm sure it's pretty much your aftermarket stainless catback standard issue.

Quick Reply: Northern Area exhaust question