Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

OBDI Vehicle with OBDII motor still require emmisions tests?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDI Vehicle with OBDII motor still require emmisions tests?

Ive talked to different people about the requirements and gotten different answers.

If I have a 1995 s10 and swap in a LSx, will that truck still be required to pass a sniffer as if it were factory? OR would the truck only be required to pass the diagnostic check that the newer engine would be subjected to?

Im in Texas, around the big cities its just a diagnostic check for readiness, no emissions for OBDII vehicles.

I find plenty of 1994-1995 S10s Id be happy buying and modding, but this issue has kept me from even considering them so far. Id like a definitive. answer

Basically, whatever motor goes into my project vehicle, there is no chance it will pass an emissions test, so my search has been 1987 and older, since its safetye inspection only due to age, AND 1996+ OBDII trucks.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Its kind of a grey are depending on who you talk to. I am not familiar with Texas Laws But in California It states you must pass what ever emissions testing applies to the new engine being swapped in to an older vehicle.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

As far as the inspection place is concerned your truck is totally stock, so yes just the sniffer test.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by silverado-lover
As far as the inspection place is concerned your truck is totally stock, so yes just the sniffer test.
Not quite. Several years back I had a 94' S10 that had a TBI 4.3 stock. I swapped in a 94' TBI 5.7, when I had it inspected (required sniffer with both engines) it was inspected as a 94 S10, with a subclass emissions test of a 94' TBI 5.7 Silverado.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Its kind of a grey are depending on who you talk to. I am not familiar with Texas Laws But in California It states you must pass what ever emissions testing applies to the new engine being swapped in to an older vehicle.
Thats what Ive always heard. I guess I will need to personally ask a few different people who currently work at inspection places to find out.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by A Low Dime
Thats what Ive always heard. I guess I will need to personally ask a few different people who currently work at inspection places to find out.
That would be your best bet.

California makes it so difficult to do something like this.

We would have to get a swap like this inspected by a state referee to inspect and sign it off. If you pass that then It gets smogged to what ever there findings are for your engine swap.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

A sonoma I did a vortec 350 swap on went to houston a friend of mine owns it. I actually did have all of the emissions stuff working on it. But they just plugged in everything was good to go did a visual on it and sent it down the highway. Cats evap and all were functional it's easy to do and that stuff does not effect horsepower one bit nowdays.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

if you need help passin hmu
Old 04-25-2012, 06:40 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I did alot of calling around today.

I read the transportation code as well, it states a 1994/1995 (or whatever year your are working with) vehicle must have in operating condition, all of the emissions equipment it had as it was from the factory. So even if an 02' 5.3 is swapped in, it must have EGR and EVAP etc etc, as the stock 4.3 or 4 cyl had. I must also be able to pass the sniffer test as well, it will not step up to the OBDII test because of the newer motor. HOWEVER, whenever it is inspected, just have to make sure to tell the technician to change the engine to whatever was installed. That way the emissions output would be that of the V8.

I bet a mild LS motor with cats would be just as clean or cleaner than a 4.3 tho. I can get the truck inspected either way, real sniffer, fake sniffer or if I had to, could install a bunch of smog equipment once a year to pass.

Figured Id pass on the info I found.

I talked to 4 different inspectors from different shops, DPS office, and the supervisor at the Emmisions Compliance office at the DPS office as well. All of them told me this.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by A Low Dime
I did alot of calling around today.

I read the transportation code as well, it states a 1994/1995 (or whatever year your are working with) vehicle must have in operating condition, all of the emissions equipment it had as it was from the factory. So even if an 02' 5.3 is swapped in, it must have EGR and EVAP etc etc, as the stock 4.3 or 4 cyl had. I must also be able to pass the sniffer test as well, it will not step up to the OBDII test because of the newer motor. HOWEVER, whenever it is inspected, just have to make sure to tell the technician to change the engine to whatever was installed. That way the emissions output would be that of the V8.

I bet a mild LS motor with cats would be just as clean or cleaner than a 4.3 tho. I can get the truck inspected either way, real sniffer, fake sniffer or if I had to, could install a bunch of smog equipment once a year to pass.

Figured Id pass on the info I found.

I talked to 4 different inspectors from different shops, DPS office, and the supervisor at the Emmisions Compliance office at the DPS office as well. All of them told me this.
Interesting... I know in California you have to swap all the newer style emissions related stuff that applies to the engine you swapping in. So lets say there is only 1 cat converter with an air tube on a 95. You would have to swap to the newer style cat converter over with all 4 02 sensors.

What I am attempting to do on my 2000 is swap to a 2002 computer and harness, remove the EGR and the AIR Injection and replace the upper cover and then get it re-certified. In 99 and 00 they had Air Injection and EGR. at some point the EGR went away every were but California. I think In 01 they may have stopped using it but I know for sure 02 didn't have it.

For me, the EGR only dirty's up the intake path and its rarely on any way since the average street speed limit is 40-45 and high way speed limit is 65-70. The air injection which only works on start up to light the cats off faster seems to need new valves every other year.

The stupid sniffer/ Dyno test is done at 15 MPH and then 25 MPH and the car has to be fully warmed up any way...

Quick Reply: OBDI Vehicle with OBDII motor still require emmisions tests?