Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

ok, curious mileage question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ok, curious mileage question

Ok, I'm very familiar with the LS series engines. I'm curious as to when it comes to trucks VS cars how much the mileage comes into play. Seems like its no big deal for a truck to have damn near 200k miles on the clock & still be running like a top where as most cars never see this kinda mileage & when they get close they are usually worn smooth out.

I'm lookin to buy a used truck but everything in my price range is close to 200k miles. Can these be bought with any kind of confidence or is it a roll of the dice like on the cars?

My initial guess is the cars get beat on harder but I know some truck owners beat on their trucks. I'm guessing when buying one with this kinda miles its best to find one in stock condition unmodded and most likely from a dealer who has already done a multi point inspection?

I found a nice 2005 Silverado 1500 crew cab for $8995 but its got 184k miles on it. Interior looks brand new & the truck is 100% bone stock from a dealership. Would something like this be a good truck to look into?

Honestly I'm lookin to get schooled on trucks as this will be the first I have ever owned once I do make a purchase.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, as you know low mileage LS 5.3's can be had for about $500...whats your budget on truck?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like he said ^, if you buy a truck with a ton of miles on the motor, a low mileage 5.3 block or even a 6.0 can be had for less than 1000
Old 07-15-2011, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

I'm lookin at about $7k max but just a few moments ago a good friend of mine offered me his Avalanche, its a 2004 with 107k miles. He said I could get it for $9k flat cause he is looking to get a smaller car again & that it still books for about $11,500.

He said it isnt on the market officially right now so he will still have it in December when I have cash to buy. He also said if he already had a beater to drive I could already come pick it up, LOL. So I might try to make that deal work out somehow.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for $9000, thats a buy
Old 07-15-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LS series engines are very resistant to wear. I just crossed 248,000mi on mine. Runs really smooth with zero engine noise. Mods in sig.

There are a few things to look into before buying one of our style trucks with that kind of mileage. Some of these are well known issues. Some are just what I have replaced on my truck.

--Transmission-The 4l60e trans is a weak spot if the truck has had ANY performance work done. Some have gotten away with many mods and have had OEM builds go for 160k+ miles. Most have had failures with just a few mods. Im currently on my third trans but this one is going to stick around. If the truck has 200k miles on it with the OEM trans its probably not long before it bites the bullet.

--Knock Sensors-Sometimes these will last forever! But on a truck that has seen water from either mudding or one that has been washed down frequently to keep it clean the rear knock sensor has the tends to fill up with water. This will rust not only the knock sensor but also the wireing harness. It is recomended that BOTH knock sensors AND the wireing harnes be replaced when this is done. There is also a TSB on how to fix the water issue using RTV silicone and building a "dam" to prevent water entering the knock sensor cavitys. Cost will be roughly around $200 when this happens. I did this to my truck around 160k miles but I wash my engine compartment every other wash. Its not a difficult fix since you can almost have a party in our engine bays compaired to an F-Body.

--Water Pump- Lost mine around 165k. I caught just when it was seeping out of the hole on the bottom of the spindle.

--Front Wheel Bearings- Lost one at 190k and one at 220k.

There may be a few other things but nothing big really.

These trucks will run forever if maintained......even if you beat on them. They are running an iron block vs an aluminum in the cars.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Thankx for the heads up. I'm 98% sure I'm gonna get my buddies truck so its only got right over 100k miles. I figured the motors wear stuff was about the same but was curious. I guess most the car guys swap motors too often to get high mileage like the trucks. This truck has never been off road or beat on, just his daily driver commuter.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your golden! Thats a killer deal!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Thankx for the heads up. I'm 98% sure I'm gonna get my buddies truck so its only got right over 100k miles. I figured the motors wear stuff was about the same but was curious. I guess most the car guys swap motors too often to get high mileage like the trucks. This truck has never been off road or beat on, just his daily driver commuter.
go for it, i wouldnt hesitate to buy a 100k mi truck. mine is at 70k now and i have no worries about extensively modding it further pretty soon
Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Yea, I got to thinking last night if I decide to mod the truck later since its got the 5.3 in it, I can just swap over my H/C/I combo from my Trans Am, they are stock 5.3 heads milled & worked over. As long as the PTV was alright on the 5.3 engine it would be a direct swap basically. Just be out the cost of freshening up the heads & gaskets/bolts.

The TA will be getting a LS3 swap while its down.

Quick Reply: ok, curious mileage question