Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Overheating problems with A/C on

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the truck never gets above 200 degrees with the new radiator and fans. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Now I'm on to the A/C. I took the truck to a professional who has done A/C forever here in vegas. He said the compressor was way too noisey and most likely needed to be changed. He wrote me out an estimate of 1500$ for everything.....haha So I got home today and tore into the thing again. I let the system bleed out and then took the compressor out. I'm hoping to get that waranteed since it is just under a year old. Also the orifice tube has some metal shavings in it. The A/c place said if I find metal shavings, I might need to change the condenser. What do you guys think about that? Why can't the system be flushed?

Name:  2d46d417.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  54.2 KB
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

See how small the particles are??? If they get trapped in the condenser between the tubes it will either clog it and not be *** efficient or not come out on the flush and shake loose under the higher pressures and ruin the new compressor. Shop air is 80-120 PSI AC pressures are in the 200-250 PSI range...

He is really just covering his *** by doing it the right way...

You should definitely put a NEW dryer in it when you have a failure like that and flush all the Lines with solvent and compressed air. On the condenser its your call... You never know you might find a good used one through a wrecker that you can clean and use.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will just pony up and get a new condenser. Also a new dryer. Do the metal flakes get caught up in the dryer as well?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by oakley6575
I will just pony up and get a new condenser. Also a new dryer. Do the metal flakes get caught up in the dryer as well?
Yes they Do!!! A dryer is always a must even if you don't see metal. They will absorb the moister from the air. So don't take the caps off until you are ready to install it.

FWIW The dryer is usually much cheaper then the condenser.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those metal flakes will go through the entire system. Looks like the makings of black death ! Everco makes an inline pancake style filter you can use when you reassemble the AC system. I would even take all the lines off of the truck and flush them out. The orifice tube is only a screen not a filter.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Okay thanks guys. Hopefully I can get everyting back together next week.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

So I got the compressor replaced today. Good news is they are also going to replace the drier as well for free. I'm going to replace the condenser while I'm in there and have everything buttoned back up tomorrow. Should I add oil to the compressor or just have the a/c shop do it when they do the flush/evac/recharge?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by oakley6575
So I got the compressor replaced today. Good news is they are also going to replace the drier as well for free. I'm going to replace the condenser while I'm in there and have everything buttoned back up tomorrow. Should I add oil to the compressor or just have the a/c shop do it when they do the flush/evac/recharge?
Was it new or a rebuilt unit??? Some come with oil already in them. Might want to find out first. To much oil and the system won't function properly.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

The unit is new. I just got done outside. When I opened the box, there was a tag on the inlet saying to put 2oz of oil in it. So I did that and then installed the compressor. Its bolted up but the system is still open so I left the rubber plugs in until I get the drier and condensor tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well guys, I got everything back together and charged. It blows cold as hell but I still have that damn PPPSSHHHH sound. It really freaks me out because I replace everything that has to do with the a/c system except the evaporator. New compressor, condenser, accumulator, orifice tube.

So I figure the sound is the blow off valve on the back of the compressor but I can't figure out why in the hell it would be relieving pressure. I know that the fans are doing a great job at pulling air so I don't think they are a problem. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Overheating problems with A/C on