Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Overheating problems with A/C on

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow what a nightmare! I don't know of what else to check and I work on AC's all the time!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteChevy3
Wow what a nightmare!
Your telling me!! It doesn't make any F'ing sense. The only thing I didn't replace with new were the evaporator, ac lines, and AC relay. Maybe I should throw a new relay on just for the hell of it.

Wouldn't you think if the bov is relieving pressure, it must be be building too much pressure in the compressor. That tells me that either the fans aren't dissipating enough heat or the compressor isn't cycling like it should..? So maybe the relay isn't letting the compressor cycle. ****, I don't know. I'm not an ac expert
Old 08-09-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Whats the head pressure running that will tell you what direction you need to be looking. Could be a weak high pressure relief also. I have had them go bad before many times through the years.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Whats the head pressure running that will tell you what direction you need to be looking. Could be a weak high pressure relief also. I have had them go bad before many times through the years.
By head pressure do you mean high side pressure? If so, I will have to buy some gauges to put on the thing.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Autozone has some cheap 134a gauges to buy if u have to. Head pressure - high side. Suction pressure- low side ( blue hose).
Now if u took it to a Ac shop and had them charge it u Would think they knew what they were doing however I have seen some pretty poor techs. Uhh I don't think they have a bov in the comp. But they do have a high pressure switch I think, or at least I have seen some vehicles with them. If it has to much gas in it the compresser will cycle on and off constantly with the hood open u would be able to hear it doing so.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WhiteChevy3
Autozone has some cheap 134a gauges to buy if u have to. Head pressure - high side. Suction pressure- low side ( blue hose).
Now if u took it to a Ac shop and had them charge it u Would think they knew what they were doing however I have seen some pretty poor techs. Uhh I don't think they have a bov in the comp. But they do have a high pressure switch I think, or at least I have seen some vehicles with them. If it has to much gas in it the compresser will cycle on and off constantly with the hood open u would be able to hear it doing so.
Yea the a/c shop here in town has been there forever and is the best in town. I don't doubt them one bit.

Anyway there is a snap ring holding a silver/aluminum plug in the back of the compressor. It looks like a pop off valve or something like that to me. Anyone know what it is? That is what I thought was relieving pressure from the compressor but that could be wrong and probably is.

The compressor doesn't seem to cycle. Everytime I've popped the hood to try and see it cycle on and off, I only have been able to see it on and running. I haven't seen it turn off yet but then again, maybe i'm just impatient.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

IIRC those popoff valves are not serviceable. If it pops due to too much pressure in the system, it releases all refrigerant from your system and you need a new compressor.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by smokeshow
IIRC those popoff valves are not serviceable. If it pops due to too much pressure in the system, it releases all refrigerant from your system and you need a new compressor.
Good to know. Then I guess I can rule that out.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

The bottom pic shows the relief I was talking about. You can see it is held in there with a snap ring. Thanks smokeshow for ruling that out as the culprit.

Name:  20-21711.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  53.4 KB
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Could u unplug it and check the voltage at the connection with the ac button on and off. Most cars send a 12vdc to the compressor to activate it.

Quick Reply: Overheating problems with A/C on