Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Pacesetter LT's and ORY install, or attempt rather

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck is ready. 400 bucks even. I'll pick it up in an hour or so. There is some bad news. He couldn't get one of the bolts out with the easy out. It is one in the middle, where there is two bolts beside each other. He seems to think because it's a middle bolt, it won't be an issue. I sure hope he is right.

When I get there, i'll upload the custom tune I stuck on the predator last night, and roll. Muffler gets put on Friday, then it's done. Maybe after all that, the wife will let me get a boat.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Launching!

That sucks about the broken bolt. Do you have the stock cat-back? I'm curious how that would sound.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

It actually doesn't sound bad at all. It's got a distinct drone at around 1500 RPM's, and when you give it the gas, it makes the "machine gun" sound. At part throttle, it sounds absolutely nasty, as does it idling. It's no where near as loud as I thought it would be. The best part, no leaks. (so far) Brand new OEM gaskets and such, and i'll drive by the shop in a week or so, and let him give the bolts one more torquing. I'm just glad I got it back. I'll take some pictures soon enough, and post them up.

The only issue is the tune isn't entirely right. The truck is running good, but i'm getting the service engine light on my truck for the O2's. They obviously forgot to delete them in the tune, which is annoying. I'm waiting on a reply back from RPM now in regards to getting the tune adjusted.

Because of how it sounds now, i'm wondering if I really need to go with the Dynomax super turbo, or if I should go with the Dynomax bullet muffler. I wonder how the bullet muffler would work in regards to eliminating the drone in the cab, and if it would change that machine gun sounds at WOT. I hate that machine gun sound. LOL
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Launching!

If you put the super turbo muffler on there and its too quiet, you can always add a cut-out before the muffler. Just depends on what sound you are going for.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Probably isn't a bad idea to just go get you some ARP header bolts.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Default Update

I just wanted to post up an update on the headers, and how everything ended up working out. They've been installed since February of this year, and I have yet to have any problems. That's in, the headers and ORY, or the missing header bolt in the middle. The power is definately there, and it really does sound great.

Only issue i've got right now is that little "clatter sound crap" that has been there since day one. I was originally told by the mechanic that buttoned up my system that it was just the sound of the exhaust fumes bouncing around inside the Y, but i'm not convinced of that. I'm beginning to think there is something it is vibrating against, making that hollow clattering sound. Maybe i'm wrong, but I have another post up in regards to that sound it's making, and how to resolve it.

The dyno max muffler I went with actually compliments the system very nicely. It's not super loud, but provides a nice, deep rumble; especially when I get on the gas. At idle, it sounds really nice and deep. No drone in the cab, that's the best part. I hated the drone it had with out the muffler. Since I had the muffler put on, I stopped getting head aches every day. go figure.

But, all i all, it's a good set up. I didn't get the fuel mileage increase I thought I would, but i'm probably around 20 mpg's in town when i'm easy on it, and very good on the highway. That's with all the other crap I did, and running a custom tune for 93 octane.