Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Parish mentioned GM High Tech Performance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know when the Dragweek coverage will be in Hot Rod?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

TGO,
Glad you liked the article.
I was lucky enough to spend a whole day at FLT to shoot the article. Chuck took the time to make me as smart as he could about 4L60e's and what he does to make them last.
So far I have been extremely pleased with the FLT trans. I swore off automatics a long time ago due to bad experiences with incompetant builders. The FLT 4l65e is the first auto that has not let me down.
Since the trans and torque converter swap, the truck has about 7,000 miles on it including towing a car through the PA turnpike, an autocross, and numerous stoplight encounters.
I was happy to put in a word for Jim and 1320video. Frankly, Jim's truck inspired the buildup of mine.
You guys are pushing the limits on these trucks, so I pay attention to what's going on here and try to work it into my articles.

I am working on tuning article for the truck to see how much power we can wring out of the combo before something else breaks.

Last edited by JohnUlaszek; 11-11-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnUlaszek
TGO,
I was lucky enough to spend a whole day at FLT to shoot the article. Chuck took the time to make me as smart as he could about 4L60e's and what he does to make them last.
So far I have been extremely pleased with the FLT trans. I swore off automatics a long time ago due to bad experiences with incompetant builders. The FLT 4l65e is the first auto that has not let me down.
Since the trans and torque converter swap, the truck has about 7,000 miles on it including towing a car through the PA turnpike, an autocross, and numerous stoplight encounters.
John, what converter did you go with? How does FLT compare with Jag? My trans is still holding up, but I know it's only a matter of time.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

I used a Vigalante multi-disc from Precision Industries. The converter has worked out perfectly. I believe it's about a 2800 stall. It's obviously a little looser than stock around town, but you get used to it pretty quick.

I really can't compare FLT to anyone else as FLT is the first auto I have run in about ten years. It would be nice to do a back to back comparision, but it's just not practical.

And for the record, the factory transmission not blow up. I cracked the case during a botched corvette servo upgrade.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:59 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

John, is there any way you can let me know what months the build up took place. I found one of the articles, but would like to get the back issues to see the whole story.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

So what are the specs on thier 65e's? Their website is under construction so there's no info there.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

TGO,
I was happy to put in a word for Jim and 1320video. Frankly, Jim's truck inspired the buildup of mine.
You guys are pushing the limits on these trucks, so I pay attention to what's going on here and try to work it into my articles.

I am working on tuning article for the truck to see how much power we can wring out of the combo before something else breaks.
Keep up the good work John, its nice to see someone in a mag do technical articles on the trucks. There are not too many mags that get into depth on anything about trucks, most of it is the bling factor and the tech stuff is mentioned but never in depth.
I've been getting the mag for about a year now after seeing it in a book store and noticing how little cosmetic stuff they talked about and how much more tech stuff was disscussed.
I figured there is so much in common with the Camaro/Firebird/Corvette/Truck engines it would be worth while. And it is!
Old 11-11-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Default Off Topic But....oh Well

Originally Posted by ChevyMan23
He was in an issure of Hot Rod also....a while back...before the new stuff
HEY DUDE.....I KNOW I'M OFF TOPIC BUT....ANYWAY....JUST WANTED TO SAY...."NICE TRUCK PAL.....REALLY CLEAN LOOKING"
Old 11-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

TGO,
Thanks a ton, I think you summed up what we try to do at GMHTP. It's all about the tech. Not that I have a problem with a good looking ride, but we tend to put go in front of show.

I think there have been five articles on the truck, two of which are on the GMHTP site. I don't recall which month's the articles were.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Veteran

TGO,
Thanks a ton, I think you summed up what we try to do at GMHTP. It's all about the tech. Not that I have a problem with a good looking ride, but we tend to put go in front of show.

I think there have been five articles on the truck, two of which are on the GMHTP site. I don't recall which month's the articles were.
No probelm John.
I look forward to your articles the most when I get the magazine!
They help the truck crowd get the very much needed and warranted recognition and respect, and also open up the eyes of the aftermarket!
Some peoples eyes just need to be opened up to the current trucks being built. They are not the old slow slugs of the past.

Quick Reply: Parish mentioned GM High Tech Performance.