Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

the perfect gas mileage set up. how would it go.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:08 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AdioSS
T56 + 3.23s would make 6th gear nearly unusable.

Lower the truck, put a bed cover on, block off any air openings at the front of the truck. Skinny front tires slightly overinflated. If you have power folding mirrors, pull them in on the highway.
ohh yeah forgot about that - make it equal to a 3.23 thats what i ment
Old 01-01-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody tried this setup? I'm currently running an lq9 and getting about 15mpg city. I wonder if I put the 4.8 back in my truck and maybe put a smaller cam in it could I get maybe 17+ mpg? I would suck be slow again but I got another play toy.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:51 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15mph city is decent IMO, esp. with a cammed 6.0. Certainly not worth the effort of swapping out an engine IMO.

peace
Hog
Old 01-01-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1969x11
Anybody tried this setup? I'm currently running an lq9 and getting about 15mpg city. I wonder if I put the 4.8 back in my truck and maybe put a smaller cam in it could I get maybe 17+ mpg? I would suck be slow again but I got another play toy.
i say swap it and let me have that lq9. but agreed, not really worth the effort in my opinion for 2mpg
Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hog
15mph city is decent IMO, esp. with a cammed 6.0. Certainly not worth the effort of swapping out an engine IMO.

peace
Hog
I would like to hear from someone running this set-up maybe it would do better than 17mpg. Im bored with my current setup and to the point where I either wanna turbo it or buy a set of cnc'd heads and maybe a Fast intake. I sorta wish that I would have just turboed the 4.8 that was in the truck to start with.I guess what I would really like to do is put a 4.8 back in the truck and later on turbo it....keep the lq9 for my 72 thats stuck in the corner of the shop..I always respect your input Hog.. thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdioSS
T56 + 3.23s would make 6th gear nearly unusable.

Lower the truck, put a bed cover on, block off any air openings at the front of the truck. Skinny front tires slightly overinflated. If you have power folding mirrors, pull them in on the highway.
I saw an episode of Mythbusters not too long ago debating gas mileage in pickup trucks. Adding a bed cover or removing/lowering the tailgate all LOWERED gas mileage. Something about screwing up factory aerodynamics. Anyone seen this? The test truck they used was a 2008-ish F-150.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1969x11
I'm just guessing here but it seems that most things that gain you low end tq gain you fuel economy. I don't see longtubes listed in your sig, that may help, and a smaller cam with a wider lsa and a TBSS intake instead of the ls6 would probably help too.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Another MPG mod I have seen on some other forums mention cutting grooves in the cylinder head.

At first I sorta freaked out when I saw them thinking it was just waiting to crack where they grooved the heads, but from what I have been reading people don't seem to have cracking problems.

I'm skeptical and wouldn't want to try this on an expensive set of heads but from what I have been reading there seems to be some merit to this.

They're called singh grooves

Here are a few links:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sing...-a-102958.html

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3876

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=66779
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slpsilverado
I saw an episode of Mythbusters not too long ago debating gas mileage in pickup trucks. Adding a bed cover or removing/lowering the tailgate all LOWERED gas mileage. Something about screwing up factory aerodynamics. Anyone seen this? The test truck they used was a 2008-ish F-150.
Saw it. Don't really believe it. As stated on the show there are too many variables. They were using two different trucks. Two different drivers. We know how that goes. No two trucks are the same. The factory didn't make the bed for aerodynamics. It's meant to haul sh*t.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw the Mythbusters episode, but dont believe much they do. As SGP93GSX stated they were using different vehicles. It seems like every episode they do something that makes me scratch my head and think these are the best guys that they could find for this show?
As for best fuel mileage, fuel is in direct relation to the air entering the engine. The best way to improve fuel mileage is to increase aerodynamics and lower drag. The less RPM's that you can turn, you are generally better off. I would vote for the high compression 4.8 T56 with tall gears.

Quick Reply: the perfect gas mileage set up. how would it go.