GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Piston slap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
This noise has been a customer concern since 1997, when the LS1 was introduced in the Corvette. Then again in every vehicle it has been introduced in, including our trucks. My truck has made this noise for as long as I can remember. In fact, GM came out with a way for us to handle this at the dealerships. If a customer complained about the noise, we gave them information about the noise, and the GM customer service phone number. They could then call GM and recieve a "component letter". This letter gave them a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on the engine, and its internal components. Its intention was to give the customer peace-of-mind. I can tell you that no engine has ever failed from this condition. I can also tell you(by talking to employees at other brands dealerships) that this condition exists with Dodge, Ford, Subaru, Toyota, and Nissan.
Talk to any engine machinist who has been "on the job" for a long time, and when they are going to bore your engine, they will bore it differently for forged pistons vs. cast pistons. Cast pistons stay the same size(for the most part) with cold to hot engine temps. Forged pistons shrink when they are cold, expand when at operating temp. A good machinist will always bore a little extra if you are using forged pistons. Add to that, these engines are not just forged pistons, they also use skirtless forged pistons. No skirts on the pistons to keep them centered in the bore. While they are cold, they flop around some, and make noise. This is not a bad thing, they can handle the stress, if you don't abuse them while cold. GM used these(along with most other manufacturers) because they are a low friction design that is strong. That adds power(low friction) and longevity and strength(forged).
Your noise is normal, and you should not worry.
Sorry man, but the only GEN3/IV engine to use forged pistons is the new 2009 supercharged LS9 ZR1 Vette engine.
Even the supercharged 556hp 2009 Cadillac LSA engine uses cast pistons. As does the 505hp LS7.

Again theya re NOT forged, they are a cast hypereutectic cast aluminum desgn. Hypereutectic simply means "High Silicon". The main reason a high silicon cast piston is used is the HYPER piston actually expands less than a HYPeutectic(low silicon) cast piston. This allows teh OEMs to use tigher poiston to wall clearances in an order to lower pollution levels(blowby, raw fuel caught in piston rings when cold).
These high silicon pistons are more brittle however and they will crack easier during pre igition/detonation.
The hyper pistons used in forced induction appliocations usually have a lower percentage of silicon than NA applications, thus making them less brittle.

But you are correct about boring a cast piston engine and forged piston engine differently, the forged piston needs the extra room to grow, thus looser piston-wall clearances are used.

peace
Hog

Last edited by hog; 12-09-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
This noise has been a customer concern since 1997, when the LS1 was introduced in the Corvette. Then again in every vehicle it has been introduced in, including our trucks. My truck has made this noise for as long as I can remember. In fact, GM came out with a way for us to handle this at the dealerships. If a customer complained about the noise, we gave them information about the noise, and the GM customer service phone number. They could then call GM and recieve a "component letter". This letter gave them a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on the engine, and its internal components. Its intention was to give the customer peace-of-mind. I can tell you that no engine has ever failed from this condition. I can also tell you(by talking to employees at other brands dealerships) that this condition exists with Dodge, Ford, Subaru, Toyota, and Nissan.
Talk to any engine machinist who has been "on the job" for a long time, and when they are going to bore your engine, they will bore it differently for forged pistons vs. cast pistons. Cast pistons stay the same size(for the most part) with cold to hot engine temps. Forged pistons shrink when they are cold, expand when at operating temp. A good machinist will always bore a little extra if you are using forged pistons. Add to that, these engines are not just forged pistons, they also use skirtless forged pistons. No skirts on the pistons to keep them centered in the bore. While they are cold, they flop around some, and make noise. This is not a bad thing, they can handle the stress, if you don't abuse them while cold. GM used these(along with most other manufacturers) because they are a low friction design that is strong. That adds power(low friction) and longevity and strength(forged).
Your noise is normal, and you should not worry.
So you are saying that the stock pistons in Gen III/IV engines are forged from the factory??? I was always had the belief that these engines had cast pistons stock, all but the LS9 that is.

HAHA, hog beat me to it, I type to slow.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When i first put the 6.0 in there was no noise, but a few months later i have a sort-of loud piston lap, especially the colder the engine is. I took it by Texas speed and had them check it out and they said that that was normal, and it was probably just piston slap.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 06 still does not do it but my 03 tahoe does when it is cold.LOL But it doe snot worry me.Everything is great with it and I do oil analysis
Old 12-09-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
i would sea foam it...my truck used to slap like no tomorrow...it was awful...usually would do it after 1500-2000 miles after my oil change...i sea foamed in last spring and its around 10* outside and its starts up and doesnt make a noise(knock on wood)lol...the only other thing i changed was running Pennzoil to Cen-pe-co oil and i think that helped a lot!
mine started the slap 2 years ago. it just showed up one winter. nothing i tried has helped. i just let the truck warm up a minute or so before i start driving it. it seems to be ok in idle. if i immediately start driving it, it is very loud. so letting it idle first has helped.

i tried sea foam. didn't make a difference. i probably should of sucked it up through the vaccuum hose. is that what you did JakeBrake? i put mine directly in the crankcase.

i have lucas oil treatment in my truck right now. that doesn't make a difference either. the temp outside plays a huge role in its severity .
Old 12-09-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

2000 4.8 had it pretty bad. 02 LQ9 is dead silent. I'm thinking GM took some extra measures to make the Caddy engine quieter.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I never had it before (like 3 months ago) and once warmed up it's only the clickity clak of the valve train to drive me nutts.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

valve train is another story. My top end is so loud you'd swear something was about to blow off the engine.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sickREDsierra
you dont have very many miles on that motor for being an 05. damn.

you must live your life a quarter mile at a time.
you honestly believe the times hes running with just a 5.3? dont let the old wise man fool you.
in other words my brother in laws 06 truck just started makin noise a few months ago out of no where. he called me and told me he was taking it to the dealership, i told him not to waste his time that they all do it in time. thats how i got the 6.0 block i have now, it started the piston slap, person didnt like it and wanted a new motor, i got the old one. as long as it has all the signs of normal piston slap i wouldnt worry too much about it.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

I have no answers but a question about sea foam. What do your cats and o2s think about getting all the carbon crap blown out through them/stuck in the cat? Are you supposed to remove anything before you do it?

Quick Reply: Piston slap?