Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

The Plan

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink The Plan

Take my 04RCSB(sig). Ran 15.1 last time out. IIRC, only had tune & CAI. But maybe it was tune & LTs. I want to take it to 13.1-13.8 ET range(see how that suits me. I really want to beat my bros 01Z06 w/CAI only, since he said I never will. So I may revise to 12.4 ET.(he always said 12.4-12.8range, but I thought GMHTP hit some really low #. This is DD, so durablity 1ST!!!! I want mileage too.

Step 1. Radix See what I get. I put on, dyno, track.

Step 2. Cam. I have a Comp 54-412-11. & some 1.75R Arms. I need pushrods, retainers still. What else to support valvetrain? Initial plan was throw on bigger rockers to tide me over til I can have truck down for awhile. I wanted a small cam 1 step over stock. I'll try this cam. I may down road swap a Z06 cam or LPE GT2-3. Cam install, dyno, track. See where I'm ET-wise.

Step 3. Heads. Get some Edelbrocks from WCCH or some AFRs. Repeat testing for ETs

-Cam & heads order may change. I wish to do them separate tho to verify stuff. I'm just that way.

Motorwise. Should be it...I think.

***TRANS***
-Please vote on my T56 conversion poll.

Trans will prolly be addressed soon since I'm already worried, & don't want RADIX to take it out. Already soft slip between shifts.
I want to go w/ some tranny upgrade. I feel FLT Lvl.5 as a 1st choice. Lean toward a 4L60e/65e if it'll stay put. If it survives, cool. I only do that route once!!! If it doesn't, no more of that, 80E for no worries. But I've got this crazy idea of a T56( for fun but only if clutch holds up).

I don't wanna go stall, unless for durability due to mileage concerns. I'll consider a small stall like a PI, say 2200-2600 range. Or TB.

Upgrade G80. Unsure on TruTrac vs another Eaton. Stay w/3.42, consider only up to 3.73.

If I get close to goal, I may tweak plan. If I run 13.0, w/all motor upgrades & no stall, I'm out. Tranny & rear will get UPGRADED no matter what!!!!
To reach ultimate goal(12.4) I'll do lil shot of spray before stall. Thoughts???

Please don't forget my poll in Drivetrain. Thank you to all.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. Don't forget valve springs too. I have a heavily built 60E, and it has held steady for me.(knock on wood) I think that would be good enough for you. I upgraded to a posi w/ 373's from a pegleg, so i have no experience on how long the G80's last. Without a stall i ran 13.8 w/ my turbo. With some tires, and the radix, i think 13's should be easily attainable. With my stall however, i knocked of half a second. Hopefully the 4.8 will last you. That 13 second goal won't be satisfying for too long, especially w/ that z06 around.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

You want mid to low 12's from your RCSB 5.3L? It really shouldn't be too difficult and not nearly so complex...

small cam like LS6 or LPE GT2-3
Magnacharger
Lv5 FLT ftmfw
a little lighten and your there.

I would forget about rocker mods and all the other stuff. Maybe an alky kit for those warm MI summers.

TruTrac and 3.73's to help take some strain off the drive-train. The PI converter would help too.

I think 11's are easier for you than they are for me and I've spent a ton of $$ on redundancy that you wont have to.

Look at what the guys like Krambo, Dewmanshu, KySilverado and Stoichiometric and a whole slew of other guys (self included) have done with their Daily Drivers.

I have NO head-work (yet)...one thing at a time bro, slow down take care of the trans upgrade and get the maggy on...one step at a time.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Maroon20's.
Sounds like a good plan. Don't forget valve springs too. I have a heavily built 60E, and it has held steady for me.(knock on wood) I think that would be good enough for you. I upgraded to a posi w/ 373's from a pegleg, so i have no experience on how long the G80's last. Without a stall i ran 13.8 w/ my turbo. With some tires, and the radix, i think 13's should be easily attainable. With my stall however, i knocked of half a second. Hopefully the 4.8 will last you. That 13 second goal won't be satisfying for too long, especially w/ that z06 around.
I've got some 918s from when got other Comp Cams stuff. Didn't they go thru a revision on the 918s?

I have a 5.3.Booyah.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trever1t
You want mid to low 12's from your RCSB 5.3L? It really shouldn't be too difficult and not nearly so complex...

small cam like LS6 or LPE GT2-3
Magnacharger
Lv5 FLT ftmfw
a little lighten and your there.

I would forget about rocker mods and all the other stuff. Maybe an alky kit for those warm MI summers.

TruTrac and 3.73's to help take some strain off the drive-train. The PI converter would help too.

I think 11's are easier for you than they are for me and I've spent a ton of $$ on redundancy that you wont have to.

Look at what the guys like Krambo, Dewmanshu, KySilverado and Stoichiometric and a whole slew of other guys (self included) have done with their Daily Drivers.

I have NO head-work (yet)...one thing at a time bro, slow down take care of the trans upgrade and get the maggy on...one step at a time.
I forgot about meth kit. Is alky kit the same or just a brand name?
Other stuff? Details for the newbie. I need pushrods bro. I just don't know length.
Or by other stuff do ya mean, heads? I might not get heads, just a cleanup by some very competant head GURUs.

I yanked the hitch to save wtg. A pan will go on too.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:11 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

AlkyControl is the brand name of a meth injection kit.
Click on my sig and go to page 2 for a chronological report of what i did.

I recommend doing things step by step. You have made up your mind on the large parts. Now put them together. Trans/blower....good.

Worry about the little things later, play with your new found power. It is like drugs, after a while you will get bored and want to raise the limit. Do the next mod then do the next...etc, get my point. You will never be done...
Old 04-23-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trever1t
AlkyControl is the brand name of a meth injection kit.
Click on my sig and go to page 2 for a chronological report of what i did.

I recommend doing things step by step. You have made up your mind on the large parts. Now put them together. Trans/blower....good.

Do the next mod then do the next...etc, get my point. You will never be done...
I knew u had that brand since I read it on your sig w/in last 2 or 3 days. I didn't know if meth & alky are one in the same in generic terms.

Ya, true. I never outlined the brake/ wheel / tire setup. Nothing smaller than 13" brakes.

Gauges: In boxes, Autometer; BOOST, Fuel Press., Wide Band, & a DPIC to play w/. I'll either upgrade cluster w/ tranny gauge or get Autometer trans temp. Previous tranny issues on other projects showed me the light.
I've got interior stuff to cover.

Cosmetic upgrades too.

More details will follow. Ya'll stay tuned. Chime in on any thoughts. I want to key in on power/ functionality/ durability. Cosmetic is always 2nd to power.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

No other opinions? Anyone...care to comment? Good or bad. Let's hear it.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I've got some 918s from when got other Comp Cams stuff. Didn't they go thru a revision on the 918s?

I have a 5.3.Booyah.
lol, i dont know where i got 4.8 from. As trever said, alkycontrol is very reputable and have great customer service from what i've seen. Snow Performance makes meth kits for a little bit cheaper than alky. They did revise the 918's at some point, maybe someone will chime in that knows. I just installed my cobalt gauges a few weeks ago, which series did you get?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cobalts. The Wide Band is a Ultra Lite. I wanted a Cobalt Wide Band, but the price I got was pretty good. I'm thinkin this...keep( the W/B as as Ultralite) to offset, draw my attention to it. How are you mounting, Maroon? I'm thinking fab up in the O/H or go So-Cal mount. I'll still need to mount 2 or 3 gauges elsewhere. I might try my hand @ custom interior work. I'm 6'2" & I personally want to stay away from pillar but it may be best option. & I don't like visibility being reduced w/ pillar mount. But again, it may be best. Besides, it's kinda hard to view more than 1 @ a time.

Quick Reply: The Plan