Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

The Plan

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fast... keep us posted on your wish list. But still consider building from rear up. (why doesn't that sound right?)
Old 08-23-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lady3bglover
Fast... keep us posted on your wish list. But still consider building from rear up. (why doesn't that sound right?)
Well...latest update. A squeal started @ driver's rear. I figured being 50k miles, it needed pads. And it did! I went w/ Hawk Performance pads. The bad news...I was forced to drive on em before I could get around to fixin em. The old pads were way worn & my delay chewed up my rotor.

New pads & 1 rotor were needed. But determined the other may not cleanup. So I bought 1 for right rear too.

Brakes on rear done for now. BIG brakes will be put off for now.

While back there, I swapped on my QA1s. These were needed last yr when I did my drop.

It brakes like it should & my latest suspension upgrade is done. For now, suspension is done. Some Edelbrock shocks for front & maybe Caltracs and it'll be completely finished in that department.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What part # for the Qa1s? I have Edelbrocks for the front and theyre nice, not so good on the rear.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nickpc82
What part # for the Qa1s? I have Edelbrocks for the front and theyre nice, not so good on the rear.
Nick, sorry I never got back to ya on this. I was gone from PT for quite awhile. I forgot til posting on some shock questions today. See my other posts on shocks from today if more info needed.

Double Adjustable QA1 p/n DTC 1539P. If u don't need to adjust both rebound & compression, get the Single Adj. & save $. Again, don't forget the QA1s need a bit to make em work ( washers, sleeves, nuts & bolts) & minor clearancing on mounts. Nothing too hard tho.

An inexpensive non adjustable great shock, Belltech StreetShock. Obviously, you've tried Edelbrock. QA1 is overkill for most, but it fit my needs & that was prior to Belltech's latest.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Figured I'd post up on my build thread. I finally got some new treads. Had the original Americraps for 59k+( close enuff to 60k). Ya, they were shot @ 45k.

I tried to save & not go w/ Goodyear Triple Treads. Instead, I figured I'd give General another shot, but this time w/. a better tire. General Grabber HTS. If I lived in a nice area, I'd have tried UHPs. But I need wet/ snow/ ice capable.

I went w/ a staggered sizing. The fronts are 255/70/16, while rears are 275/70/16. They're ~1.1" taller in back. I wanted it for a wider look out back. And greater contact patch. They do fill out rear wheelwells nicely. Widthwise, it didn't create as dramatic an effect as I originally thought. I would need to go to a 285 or larger, I think. I could stay w/ a 275 in back, & go to say 235/70 front. That might create the look.

But, changing much beyond what I did, would prolly pop a ABS light. Speedo is off by 2mph according to TomTom. I have some more info on this on Staggered tire sizing/ HPTuners thread. Under Tuning/ Diagnostics section.

Nothing fancy, just necessary. So until I need a drag radial or slick, or til I go to a 17" or larger, tires/ suspension is set for awhile. I just need to put my BellTech shocks up front. Only other (non-tire) change I might make, is CalTracs. That I'm tellin anyway.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:24 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Sounds good Tom, my gps unit says my speedo is off by a few so i'd think it pretty normal I run 285's in all 4 corners but am thinking of going to a 275 just because it's freaking hard to find my tire size anmore.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fastnblu
If I plan on a TruTrac & Caltracs, I'm wondering. I typically do a mod @ a time. I know the Caltracs should help ETs. Wouldn't a TruTrac just be a durability upgrade, & not lower ETs @ all?

The way I see it, do the Caltracs after, since there's less **** to get in the way while I'm underneath.

Where's Trever1t when u need him?
Well, is it possible to improve ETs w/. just a Trutrac? No gears, just the TT. It's just to fortify driveline, & has no bearing on times, right?

I finally got some new treads. Had the original Americraps for 59k+( close enuff to 60k). General Grabber HTS. If I lived in a nice area, I'd have tried UHPs. But I need wet/ snow/ ice capable.

Nothing fancy, just necessary. So until I need a drag radial or slick, or til I go to a 17" or larger, tires/ suspension is set for awhile. I just need to put my BellTech shocks up front. Only other (non-tire) change I might make, is CalTracs. That I'm tellin anyway.
I'm glad I went thru this thread. It helped me to verify I gotta do a tire rotation. I'm still quite happy w/. the Grabber HTS.

Here's what's new since last posting here.

Learned how to adjust for speedo due to staggered tire sizes using HPTuners.

Also, it's kinda nice to see if I've adhered to The Plan. I wonder who on here has a game plan of sorts they've followed. I know some have changed directions w/. their builds too.

Since the tires, I've added a few things. I think I did my front brakes ~60k (again Hawk LTS). They throw a lil more dust than stock, but not bad.

Newest:went w/. a Snugtop for a tonneau lid. Pics in Show & Shine; go back ~ 1wk to find thread. Great paint match, surface quality is top notch (not perfect, but very, very nice).

I'd thought I'd already have a tranny or Trutrac on by now.

A mysterious coolant leak, which I'll take care of this week, has me takin off water pump. Well, the clutch fan has to come off, so I'm upgrading to '05 efans at same time. 160* Tstat, '05 efans from a wrecked 50k '05 'burb, new 34" radiator, & Blackbear fan harness. I'll tune it w/. HPT.

Last edited by fastnblu; 10-26-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:22 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, is it possible to improve ETs w/. just a Trutrac? No gears, just the TT. It's just to fortify driveline, & has no bearing on times, right?
Good question...I guess that if it helps you hook up and launch that would help your ET, although my G80 actually works good when launching...it just makes me cringe knowing that the next launch may be the G80's last...and may cause possible damage to the trans and driveline.

I'd thought I'd already have a tranny or Trutrac on by now.
Yea, me too Tom

A mysterious coolant leak, which I'll take care of this week, has me takin off water pump. Well, the clutch fan has to come off, so I'm upgrading to '05 efans at same time. 160* Tstat, '05 efans from a wrecked 50k '05 'burb, new 34" radiator, & Blackbear fan harness. I'll tune it w/. HPT.
Are you doing the work this weekend or are you gonna tackle it during the week? Get pics of those water pump gaskets if you can, I'm curious to see what they look like and if they're deformed
Old 10-26-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Good question...I guess that if it helps you hook up and launch that would help your ET, although my G80 actually works good when launching...it just makes me cringe knowing that the next launch may be the G80's last...and may cause possible damage to the trans and driveline.

Are you doing the work this weekend or are you gonna tackle it during the week? Get pics of those water pump gaskets if you can, I'm curious to see what they look like and if they're deformed
Ya, that cringe is why G80 worries me. And & don't wanna damage tranny & driveline. Been there, done that. Plus, I wanna let u know I don't wanna damage your tranny/ tq conv.

During week, I'll do it. Friend is goin away on w/e, so I want his help w/. pins. Don't trust myself w/. that. I'll take pics.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Fast where you located at? I'm right by the Palace. I've managed to miss this thread for evidently the last year or so, could possibly give you a hand some time, time permitting.

Quick Reply: The Plan