Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

played with a SS silverado tonight

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default played with a SS silverado tonight

i was on my way to chaperone a high school dance. about a 1/4 of a mile up i see a black EC pickup pull put out from a side street. it looked like an SS, but i couldn't tell from that far away. eventually the road turned to 2 lanes and i was able to catch up, even though he kept chaning lanes to get by slow traffic. i think he finally saw me coming up from behind so he slowed up a bit. i rolled down my window and i gave him a thumbs up. he rolled down his and we talked as we cruised slowly through traffic. i asked him what he had done. he said corsa exhaust. we both complimented each other on our trucks. i think it was the same exact SS i test drove last april because it was a 2003 and he bought it from the local dealer who only had one in their lot. after we rolled up out windows, he punched it from a 30 mph roll. then i did the same. i kept up with his tailgate til about 45 and we had to shut it down because of cars in front of us. couldn't get a light together. too many damn cars infront us. i know he would of been game because he kept punching it. he seemed pretty cool. i think i probably could of hanged with him from a complete stop. i have been waiting so long for this moment to race an SS, but it just didn't work out this time. damn. that corsa sounded bad *** on that truck. it was a single side exit. the chrome tip on it was a single tip i think, not the dual tip like you usually see on the corsa. it was very cool to see someone who wanted to talk and possibly play a bit. you don't get that too much here up North. sport trucks are very rare. eventually we had to go our seperate ways, i rolled down my window and waved, he honked. chevy owners rock

then on the way home on the same stretch of road, i saw a dakota R/T up ahead. i lined up with him at a light. i was like cool, maybe i'll get some fun tonight after all. light turned green, i waited, i couldn't get him to bite. so i punched it anyway and took off. i put it in auto 4WD at the light too. i was ready. *****

oh well, my day will come.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

good story to bad you couldn't have got a light together. i am waiting for my day to come where one pulls up to me at a light. have you got any times for your truck? probably somewhere around 15's are those all the mods you have done in your sig. how do you like your stall i am thinking about getting one. thanks
Old 03-13-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

i haven't G-teched my truck in a while. with just intake, exhaust, and HPP3 i was running 15.6-15.7

i haven't g-teched since i added the Yank, Eaton, and wires. i am hoping 15.3-15.4.

i love the TC. it makes driving alot of fun. i lost alot of low end when i installed the intake and exhaust. after adding the yank, i got alot of that back. nice to get whiplash once in a while. before the yank i could never break the tires loose. now it is super easy. a little bit too easy which kind of sucks since you can't get the full effect of a TC. probably because i am using all-terrain stock tires. installing the Eaton helped alot. if i am racing from a complete stop i have to use auto 4WD or 4HI. so overall i am happy. the only down fall is:

- low traction
- tranny life
- shift quality (which probably could be cured with shift kit and servos i think)
Old 03-13-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like your getting that truck running pretty good. So why didnt you buy the SS? I test drove one back in Oct. and i was disapointed. From driving my truck, to driving the SS felt like i was in a Honda. No offence to you guys with the SS, but in stock form i think its slower than a 2wd ext cab swb. I had a 2000 EC Dakota RT before i bought this truck, and off the line it was awsome. But after @2500rpms all the power fell off. I put on a cold air intake, Flowmaster, and got one of the Mopar computers, and i still got beat by a friend of mine with a 96' integra with a few mods. Nothing like a Chevy truck!
I cant wait for my chance to line up with an SS. Its going to be ugly. Are you in the northern part of NY?
Old 03-13-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
Sounds like your getting that truck running pretty good. So why didnt you buy the SS? I test drove one back in Oct. and i was disapointed. From driving my truck, to driving the SS felt like i was in a Honda. No offence to you guys with the SS, but in stock form i think its slower than a 2wd ext cab swb. I had a 2000 EC Dakota RT before i bought this truck, and off the line it was awsome. But after @2500rpms all the power fell off. I put on a cold air intake, Flowmaster, and got one of the Mopar computers, and i still got beat by a friend of mine with a 96' integra with a few mods. Nothing like a Chevy truck!
I cant wait for my chance to line up with an SS. Its going to be ugly. Are you in the northern part of NY?

yup, i am in the upstate part of NY, outside of Rochester which is between Buffalo and Syracuse. so i am pretty close to Lake Ontario. i didn't buy the SS because it was too expensive. i would be paying more in monthly payments than i was before, even with trading in my truck for $17K. screw that. plus i like to offroad once in a while. i don't like leather either. i think it is not as comfortable, it is cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and it wears out quicker than clothe seats. my dads last 2 tahoes had leather. after about 2 years it looked like crap. i like having the opportunity to be able to use 4HI, 4LO, and Auto4WD. it is nice to have control over the tranfer case in certain situations like pulling a boat out of a launch ramp using 4LO, or using 4HI in real snowy conditions. it all depends the senario you are in for selecting a transfer case setting. i didn't have a choice with an AWD truck. i also have so much $$$ already invested into my '99. it would be $$$ down the tubes if i got rid of it. i think i will drive my truck into the ground. but there are days that go by that i think about buying a new one and slapping a Radix on it .
Old 03-13-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't understand you guys wanting a piece of a SS. You should out be hunting the ford's or dodge's. But if you want - I'll race.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Need More N2O Mod

i'm your huckleberry, but no most ss run low 15s stock. i am running mid to high 14s with a few bolt on stuff. and for the price i paid 34000 for mine which was right around what i was looking at a lt z71 for the payments are not much more than the last truck i bought. but i love my truck and i am glad i bought it.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

don't get me wrong. i wouldn't mine having an SS. i think they look awesome. at the time i was looking at one, they were priced pretty high since they just came out then. it was around $40-41K. with the deals you can get now, i might of got one. but i love my truck, and i made my decision on what would be the most practical for me.