Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Proper disposal of used Antifreeze.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
I agree. These f-ers made it so hard for me to dispose of that **** that its still sitting in the bucket right now. I called the local lube shop; they told me to call the firestation....called the firestation; they tell me to call harris county maintenance....I call them; tell me to call haz mat......Im PISSED Why cant they make it as easy as dumping oil. Damn near every car nowadays uses it so why isnt it easy?

Sud's in Conroe will take it

that's where I'm taking all my fluids.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:05 PM
FormerVendor

I just take mine to work and dump them into the oil tank.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:09 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont you have a county dump near by? Or a full service auto repair?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I may sound like an uneducated redneck, but I'd just dump it in the woods or something. You're 2 gallons of antifreeze isn't going to have any major affect on enviroment, though I do give you credit for trying to do the right thing.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tan327
I may sound like an uneducated redneck, but I'd just dump it in the woods or something. You're 2 gallons of antifreeze isn't going to have any major affect on enviroment, though I do give you credit for trying to do the right thing.
.........but what if everybody dumped 2 gallons of antifreeze in the woods?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Sexy Party Mod

THIS JUST IN: My old man dumped it in our aerobic septic system tank. You know, the one that waters your yard with grey water....consider our front yard dead. I wasnt very happy with him but no crying over spilled milk.

My argument still stands. Why do they make it so hard to dispose of it? By doing that, they are BEGGING for people to dump that ****.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
THIS JUST IN: My old man dumped it in our aerobic septic system tank. You know, the one that waters your yard with grey water....consider our front yard dead. I wasnt very happy with him but no crying over spilled milk.

My argument still stands. Why do they make it so hard to dispose of it? By doing that, they are BEGGING for people to dump that ****.

antifreeze, tranny fluid and other fluids aren't as common as oil, that's why the dump sites are limited in numbers.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:59 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every dealership or repair facility here in Jersey has to properly store and dispose of all of those fluids. Oil and coolant have to be separated. Trans fluid, brake fluid, ps fluid, etc. can go with the oil. If you put your used anti-freeze in containers and bring them to a local repair shop, lube shop, dealer, etc., they should be able to dispose of it for you. They may charge you a fee, but it's worth it IMO to pay a few bucks as opposed to contaminating a piece of land that will never grow back. Trust me, I'm no tree hugger either...back in the day when I was younger I used to be one of the morons who just dumped it behind my shed. But now that recycling facilities are readily available, I do it the right way. Luckily, I work at a dealership where I can bring my waste oils and anti-freeze for disposal. Still, I sometimes find my oil buckets full on a Saturday or something, and go to the nearest gas station with a repair shop, and they always take it.