Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Question About Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
...I used to use ACDelco until they discontinued the PF59 (I like the slightly extra capacity). ...I like Amsoil and Mobil1.
I never used the PF59, but I was aware we could & it was nice to have it as an option. Til u said it was disc.

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I'm actually starting to think using conventional oil and high quality filter is the best option because you will be changing the filter more often. I'd like to see what an oil filter looks like after running synthetic oil for 7000+ miles. That being said, I use synthetic oil. I used mobil 1 5w30, then changed to royal purple 5w30, then royal purple 10w30, and now back to mobil one 10w30. After reading multiple bad reviews on RP, I decided mobil 1 synthetic was what I was gonna keep using. I switched to 10w30 because it provides better protection during the summer months, and IMO does no thin out as bad as 5w30
Theory sounds good. U can buy a cutter & examine inside Scott.
I've used RP since day 1 in my '04. When I swapped a LT1 into my 89 c1500, RP. I've seen some kinda survey that I couldn't interpret, RP was in middle; other surveys in comes out on top. I suppose I'd compare it to movies. Ever been to a movie critics say was bad, & u loved it? I have. The ones they say are good, I've found to be bad. Sometimes. It isn't a steadfast rule, just sayin.
When gas shot up last yr, it took motor oil w/. it. Now, gas is down & motor oil costs are same as last yr. I can get Mobil 1 for less & it's more common. I might throw in towel on RP & start using Mobil 1.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keeping the oil changed that often, no need to run a synth oil... Like they said use a good filter and stick with reg old oil.. I have always used 5-30 casaroll, run a ac delco or wix, havn't have a prob with my old engine or new one thus far....
Old 08-08-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys, Yeah I already ran the AC Delco oil filter due to so many horror stories i've heard about the filters like Fram insides being sucked up into the engine and screwing stuff up. Looks like I will be switching oil tho. Mobile 1 now... again thanks for the help.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves.

You are wasting money changing your oil that often. Synthetic or Conventional, doesn't matter, just change it when the truck tells you to.

Everyone splits hairs over oil when only about 1% of people actually keep their trucks long enough for it to make a difference.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:54 PM
something else

Coban you go by the "dummy light"?

I change mine every.... Well when I think it needs to be changed. I don't keep track of the mileage or anything.

I agree with everyone else on a good filter and regular ole oil.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coban
Sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves.

You are wasting money changing your oil that often. Synthetic or Conventional, doesn't matter, just change it when the truck tells you to.

Everyone splits hairs over oil when only about 1% of people actually keep their trucks long enough for it to make a difference.
Prolonged heat kills oil. It becomes thinner and thinner the longer it is in the motor. Synthetic oil resists this process better than conventional oil, and the majority of the synthetic oil producers add other minerals to their oils to help preserve bearing surfaces and reduce wear on the internal engine parts.

I do agree with the "long run" theory in a normal setting, but in a performance engine like most of us have, there is no excuse not to run a high quality oil, unless you change your oil very frequently (under 3000 miles). I run synthetic oils in my truck because I take my truck to 6600+ RPMs daily, and it makes me more comfortable doing so knowing I have a high grade oil in there.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

My 1st 2 oil changes of my truck being new, I changed earlier than they say you can go. After that, I went by the DIC since I was using a synthetic anyway. I wonder how many on PT go by what the DIC recommends vs how many just do at regular intervals. On my other vehicles, w/. dino oil I went 3k/ or 3 months. I like synthetic cause it allows that timeframe to be extended.
My brother is so particular, his changes were at 3k w/. dino, & later when he switched to Mobil 1, he kept changes at 3k! Only recently, does he have me do them @ 5k intervals on a V6 workvan.

ACDelco is only filter I use; it works/ fits my needs on every vehicle I've owned. When I owned a Stang, I used Motorcraft. I prefer OEM products. Years ago, I used Fram sometimes, now it's all AC.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

I do go by the dummy light.

I have not seen the calculation they use to turn on the oil change light, BUT I would be REALLY surprised if it didn't at least factor in RPM and Load... If you beat on the engine, its still built into the calculation.

Personally, I don't know of any LS engines that have thrown a bearing due to lack of fresh oil. But, I am sure there are some out there. I have seen some lock up due to lack of oil though.

I don't think the engineers that designed it are trying to wear out your engine faster in an effort to sell more engines for GM...
Old 08-09-2009, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

I have seen the engine hours and the "dummy light" (engine oil %) reset on their own a couple times since ive owned my truck so be aware of this. Being FI i change mine consistently (3000 MILES) just to have peace of mind as well. My next oil change im gonna go 5000 miles and send in a sample of the Shaffers oil Ive been running in this new engine. My buddy has an 01 Dodge cummins that runs 12.8s with propane, water/meth, edge comp race box, built auto w/ converter and a few other mods. He sent in a sample after 10,000 mi and Shaffers told him to go 15,000 as it still didnt have hardly any breakdown. Im anxious to see what they say about mine, but will still prob change it every 3000 mi regardless since im so particular
Old 08-09-2009, 03:27 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I suppose I'd compare it to movies. Ever been to a movie critics say was bad, & u loved it? I have. The ones they say are good, I've found to be bad. Sometimes. It isn't a steadfast rule, just sayin.
I feel the exact same way about movies and critics Tom

My truck came from the factory with a PF-59. They used to make a high performance filter that was a UPF-59, it was black instead of the old Delco blue, and had a synthetic media and some other improvements. They discontinued that first, the PF-59 followed a few years later. From my research, Mobil1, K&N, Wix, and Amsoil all make good filters. When I get my LQ9 together I plan on using Amsoil oil and filters. My truck currently has Mobil1 oil and filter in it now.

Quick Reply: Question About Oil