Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Questions Questions Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:11 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Envelope Man
Thanks Thunder550, I really don't have a set budget, that is not to say I am rolling in dough however. one thing I know I want is a Skyjacker 6' Suspension lift along with a front end leveling kit and at least 305/75/16 I think I will keep my stock wheels, I just like the way they look. I do like the sound of a lope in the idle, but don't want to go overboard. I guess what I really want is hp in the 350 to 375 range and about the same for trq. I'm 44 but I still like my women hot, my beer cold, my music loud and my truck fast.
Agreed with the others about regearing and beefing up the drivetrain.

Second, you have two wants that don't really go hand in hand. Forced induction and lope generally work against eachother. Lope comes from overlap (where the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time), and when you go FI you have the tendency to blow fuel and air straight through the combustion chamber without ever igniting it. That being said, superchargers are less sensitive to it than turbos, but big lope is reserved for the N/A guys for the most part. There are some good high RPM blower cams that will lope a little bit at idle, but not too much.

Based on what you've said, I'd probably consider doing a blower and a small cam. The popular s/c kit around here is the Radix, but there are a few Whipple guys too.

If you go with the Whipple, don't install their crap electronics. Make sure you get a good fuel system in there (better in-tank fuel pump or an additional inline pump and some good injectors) and a good custom tune. Whipple cheats and uses your stock injectors and tune and just adds a piggyback computer and two additional injectors to the intake air stream.

The Radix kit comes with the fuel system upgrade and has great customer support. The popular cam to run with the Radix is the LPE (Lingenfelter) GT2-3...it has been proven many times over as a great blower cam in these trucks.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to everyone!!!! I think I will concentrate on the lift 1st along with gears. I like the sound of 4.30's frt & rear
Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Agreed with the others about regearing and beefing up the drivetrain.

Second, you have two wants that don't really go hand in hand. Forced induction and lope generally work against eachother. Lope comes from overlap (where the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time), and when you go FI you have the tendency to blow fuel and air straight through the combustion chamber without ever igniting it. That being said, superchargers are less sensitive to it than turbos, but big lope is reserved for the N/A guys for the most part. There are some good high RPM blower cams that will lope a little bit at idle, but not too much.

Based on what you've said, I'd probably consider doing a blower and a small cam. The popular s/c kit around here is the Radix, but there are a few Whipple guys too.

If you go with the Whipple, don't install their crap electronics. Make sure you get a good fuel system in there (better in-tank fuel pump or an additional inline pump and some good injectors) and a good custom tune. Whipple cheats and uses your stock injectors and tune and just adds a piggyback computer and two additional injectors to the intake air stream.

The Radix kit comes with the fuel system upgrade and has great customer support. The popular cam to run with the Radix is the LPE (Lingenfelter) GT2-3...it has been proven many times over as a great blower cam in these trucks.

Hello, there are Kenne Bells Too.... Jeeeeez
Old 04-01-2008, 04:03 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Hello, there are Kenne Bells Too.... Jeeeeez
Sorry man! I don't want you to feel left out. Kenne Bell's truck kits are relatively new, correct? I forgot. I sowwy
Old 04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats goin' on guys. My name is Chris and I've got a 00 Sierra 5.3L Z71 ext cab 4wd that I want to give more hp and trq. I have looked aroud at different performance mods, but i am not sure what will work. I would appreciate any and all help with what cams heads throttle bodies spacers etc. that you guys recomend. I have only done the exhaust so far Pacesetter headers Magnaflow cats and Flowmasters. It sounds really good, I just want some punch to go with it.
you didnt say anything about having it tuned....if its not then you should prob start there. are your headers shorties or long tubes?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:17 PM

I do not have a custom tune, did not know there was such a thing. I have looked at programers but really did'nt see any real benifit to them. The headers are shorties. The more I think about it, I probably won't do FI really more than I need. I've got the 4.10's on order. I really appreciate you looking over my ignorance

Last edited by Envelope Man; 04-01-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Import Moderator

Id ditch the shortys and go with a set of longtubes and a offroad Y pipe (catless)... you will need to have get a custom tune for that though, that would definitely net you some power there. I shaved .3-.4 seconds off my 1/4mile with swapping from stock manifolds, y pipe, and flowmaster catback to LT headers, ORY and custom catback
Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not have a custom tune, did not know there was such a thing. I have looked at programers but really did'nt see any real benifit to them. The headers are shorties. The more I think about it, I probably won't do FI really more than I need. I've got the 4.10's on order. I really appreciate you looking over my ignorance
the hand helds just dont cut the mustard bro.a custom tune from one of the guys to the right >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
would help you out a great deal. i have street tunes from wheatley and just love it.now on the shorties... sell um get a set of long tubes.swap in electric fans and you ll be pretty set.all that combined with 4.10's will please you well
Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...hlight=boltons

read that, then decide what you want from there.

id go with 4.56s for gears though.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by trever1t
Yup, if you are going to lift it and run larger than stock tires (even stocks are big) then gearing and transmission modification will be a priority. Gear selection will depend on your choice of wheel/tire diameter and a shift kit, servo and trans fluid cooler are minimum requirements.
Once you have your drive line in order then you can start thinking about the go fasts! Keep it simple and do one thing at a time.
Thanks Trever1t,
Everyone has been great with helping me understand everything! I like the do one thing at a time way of thinking. I think your rid is sweet!! I looked at your mods for ideas. chris