Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

random rough idle, misfires on all cylinders randomly

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random rough idle, misfires on all cylinders randomly

Been having a problem ever since I went FI, once I start it up hot or cold, the engine will idle good for a few seconds then start idling rough for a few seconds.

When I hook a scan tool to it, I can see ALL cylinders misfiring when the idle starts to go rough.

Also, if I get on it a little and then come to an abrupt stop, the engine will almost die.

I have clean the MAF, fuel pressure is good (it use to show 58psi at idle, but now it is showing 60-65 psi) the change in pressure has nothing to do with it though because it has been doing it long before that changed

what do you guys think? warped intake gasket? bad fuel pressure regulator?

remember, all this started after I installed the turbo... idk what would cause ALL cylinders to misfire all at the same time every other few seconds at idle (only happens at idle, I can hold it at a rev and it is smooth, as soon as I let off the gas though it starts running rough/misfiring for a few moments, then runs OK then goes back to misfiring-- then goes back to OK and so on back and forth)
Old 03-01-2012, 04:28 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Got a wideband on it?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Got a wideband on it?
yeah, when the rough idle starts it goes down to about 12 then shoots up to a little over 15 while it idles rough. Then as it straightens itself out it goes back to 14.6-14.8

Could my spark plugs be causing this? NGK TR6 set to .035, unless I set them wrong

edit: I guess it couldn't be my spark plugs if it wants to run lean under the rough idle condition/misfires.. if plugs weren't firing it would cause it to go rich, right? unless the computer sees that first 12afr (from plugs not firing) and immediately cuts off fuel creating the lean misfires

Last edited by TXjeepTJ; 03-01-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

I'm going to pull the plugs and gap them a little closer, been reading through threads of people having problems specifically with the TR6 spark plug
Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

gapping the plugs smaller didn't do anything

also, I was wrong about the afr when it starts to misfire. it runs 14.6-14.9 and once it hits the 14.9 it starts misfiring and goes to 15.1
Old 03-03-2012, 01:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

I have the same problem .....and a nelson tune.......i believe it is in the tune....when the fans or ac compressor is coming on it is drawing too many amps ans causing this......the idle ir related issues need to be fixed in the tune
Old 03-03-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 200 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
Been having a problem ever since I went FI, once I start it up hot or cold, the engine will idle good for a few seconds then start idling rough for a few seconds.

When I hook a scan tool to it, I can see ALL cylinders misfiring when the idle starts to go rough.

Also, if I get on it a little and then come to an abrupt stop, the engine will almost die.

I have clean the MAF, fuel pressure is good (it use to show 58psi at idle, but now it is showing 60-65 psi) the change in pressure has nothing to do with it though because it has been doing it long before that changed

what do you guys think? warped intake gasket? bad fuel pressure regulator?

remember, all this started after I installed the turbo... idk what would cause ALL cylinders to misfire all at the same time every other few seconds at idle (only happens at idle, I can hold it at a rev and it is smooth, as soon as I let off the gas though it starts running rough/misfiring for a few moments, then runs OK then goes back to misfiring-- then goes back to OK and so on back and forth)
Originally Posted by terravast4
I have the same problem .....and a nelson tune.......i believe it is in the tune....when the fans or ac compressor is coming on it is drawing too many amps ans causing this......the idle ir related issues need to be fixed in the tune
Log engine voltage to see if it is causing the misfire. Incomplete injector data, along with a faulty alternator, can have a big effect on fueling. Do a scan to see if voltage drops just before a misfire occurs.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Log engine voltage to see if it is causing the misfire. Incomplete injector data, along with a faulty alternator, can have a big effect on fueling. Do a scan to see if voltage drops just before a misfire occurs.
thanks for the info, I'll go and get that scan right now and post it up by tonight
Old 03-03-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

here you go, the voltage does drop quit a bit (down to 12v) but I don't really see a relation to the misfires

you can see in one part I hold the rev at about 3k and all the misfires go away

The "misfire history" on this truck is ridiculous... every cylinder has over 800 misfires lol
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
voltageSCAN.hpl (44.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: cfg
MisfiresVoltage.cfg (2.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 200 Likes on 157 Posts

I can't guess what your problem is from the info that scan an config shows (not that I could otherwise ), but it makes me wonder what your fuel pressure and ignition advance are like.

Quick Reply: random rough idle, misfires on all cylinders randomly