Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

random rough idle, misfires on all cylinders randomly

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I can't guess what your problem is from the info that scan an config shows (not that I could otherwise ), but it makes me wonder what your fuel pressure and ignition advance are like.
My fuel pressure is pretty high, 60-65 psi when not in boost. Idk why it is so high

want me to post up a scan of the ignition advance? or any other values that could help you determine a place I should start looking?

If you look at the oxygen sensor info, the bank1 seems to go crazy, which then the bank2 starts to follow it. Could my bank1 sensor be bad at a low flow rate going across it (at idle) and then bank 2 tries to follow it thus resulting in bad afr/misfiring
Old 03-04-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
here you go, the voltage does drop quit a bit (down to 12v) but I don't really see a relation to the misfires

you can see in one part I hold the rev at about 3k and all the misfires go away

The "misfire history" on this truck is ridiculous... every cylinder has over 800 misfires lol
Voltage drop will cause all sorts of unexpected failures. Everything from the fuel pump to the ignition coils are affected by a voltage drop, considering they are designed to run at 13.5-14.5 volts. Also, if your alternator is failing to keep up, it will cause some unbelievable electrical noise which the interference canceler (if equipped) cannot suppress.

I'd say get some jumper cables and borrow power from another running vehicle and see what happens with your voltages and rough running concerns.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
Voltage drop will cause all sorts of unexpected failures. Everything from the fuel pump to the ignition coils are affected by a voltage drop, considering they are designed to run at 13.5-14.5 volts. Also, if your alternator is failing to keep up, it will cause some unbelievable electrical noise which the interference canceler (if equipped) cannot suppress.

I'd say get some jumper cables and borrow power from another running vehicle and see what happens with your voltages and rough running concerns.
good idea! actually the other week I was driving and electrical noise starting going through the speakers (if that is what you were talking about). Your idea will rule out the alternator being the problem, thanks!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 200 Likes on 157 Posts

My fuel pressure is pretty high, 60-65 psi when not in boost. Idk why it is so high

want me to post up a scan of the ignition advance? or any other values that could help you determine a place I should start looking?

If you look at the oxygen sensor info, the bank1 seems to go crazy, which then the bank2 starts to follow it. Could my bank1 sensor be bad at a low flow rate going across it (at idle) and then bank 2 tries to follow it thus resulting in bad afr/misfiring
Some guys tune by disabling the vacuum reference on the fuel pressure regulator. I doubt that Nelson did that unless he changed his method, and had you disconnect the vacuum.
We already know that your misfire isn't a voltage issue from the scan you posted.
I would fix the fuel pressure, and any other issues that you know about, first.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through a very similar problem with my crew cab, turns out to be a lazy 02.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 AM

yeah, when the rough idle starts it goes down to about 12 then shoots up to a little over 15 while it idles rough. Then as it straightens itself out it goes back to 14.6-14.8

Could my spark plugs be causing this? NGK TR6 set to .035, unless I set them wrong

edit: I guess it couldn't be my spark plugs if it wants to run lean under the rough idle condition/misfires.. if plugs weren't firing it would cause it to go rich, right? unless the computer sees that first 12afr (from plugs not firing) and immediately cuts off fuel creating the lean misfires
I just looked at your tune, is it Nelson or yours? What injectors? offset? The LT fuel trims want a ton of fuel... If this all started at the time of your FI install I would bet injector tuning...

Last edited by Wilde Racing; 03-04-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I just looked at your tune, is it Nelson or yours? What injectors? offset? The LT fuel trims want a ton of fuel... If this all started at the time of your FI install I would bet injector tuning...
It is Nelsons tune still, injectors are 60#, idk what the offset is on them or anything since the pcm is locked.

I'm going to mess with the o2 sensors, because it seems like bank 1 is sort of lazy when there isn't a good flow going past it (at idle). I'm not sure if the o2s on my truck have ever been replaced and I'm at 130,000 miles!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good idea! actually the other week I was driving and electrical noise starting going through the speakers (if that is what you were talking about). Your idea will rule out the alternator being the problem, thanks!
Audible electrical noise means you've got a REALLY big problem with either the alternator or a power cable somewhere. Usually loose/burnt connections cause noise along with a failing alternator regulator. Occasionally there is ground feedback but I haven't seen that except with my own vehicle and it went away after changing the ground straps around the chassis.

I've seen bad alternators "jackhammer" the electrical system by switching from none to high output at midrange frequency.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 PM

The LT fuel trims need help, new 02s might be the fix but if it all started when the injector were installed I'd lean more toward the tune/injector offset....