Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

rcsb 4.8 vs rcsb hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rcsb 4.8 vs rcsb hemi?

i was driving home last night and came across a single cab hemi who got right next to me and started jumping a little to get me to race. we were doing about 60 and i punched it, and jumped ahead about half a car length before he could react, and then i pulled on him till he was about 2 cars behind me and then i hit 3rd gear and he finaly matched my speed and sloooooowly started gaining on me, im talking really slowly, i hit the governer before he passed me, and he had only regained about a car, maybe. The only thing i have on my truck is some ravin exhaust that was on it when i bought it, its just a dual exit muffler. I dont have anything other than that done to it.

i was really expecting one of them to be faster than that, i mean it was obvious that he was a little bit faster, but not near as much as i thought one would be. have any of yuo 5.3 liter rcsb owners raced one?
Old 05-25-2005, 01:59 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I think you got lucky or the one I raced had a SuperChips programer because I had pretty bad results racing one. My case was about the opposite except her had about 3trucks or more on me. Mine is a RCSB 4.8L and runs 15.3s@90mph stock.

Or are you modded?

my battle with a RCSB Hemi
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321551
Old 05-25-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I Would Say That You Got Lucky. They Are Pretty Fast. I Am In The High 14s And I Can Only Get One By 3 Or 4 Truck Lengths In The 1/4. He Has Exhaust And K&n Drop In.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I would have got the chance to race one with just my exhaust and shift kit. I blow them off the road now. Maybe your 4.8 is a freak, 420. Where are you located?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have not had the chance to race a rcsb hemi yet but i did race a crew cab hemi with 20's and got him pretty good. The rcsb hemi with the 16 or 17 inch wheels i heard are def some good comp and can mod pretty good so you must have some mods to pull on him or maybe you do have a freak.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

i think u might have gotten alittle lucky. i've raced a stock rcsb hemi and there not that slow. good run anyway!!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

My truck is a 5.3,3:73,G80 all stock(Sig Pic) and I been really tempted to race a regular cab hemi. There are plenty I see here in Houston. If 420 had a good run with one I imagine how I would compare?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

i think you got lucky also... did you get a big jump on him before he went? I had a friend run a quad cab/ext cab whatever HEMI in his 4.8 and he got him.. but i think that was only due the his being a RCSB and the hemi weighing so much

i know a few people thats been easy 15.1-3's in them bascially stock, so it usually takes some work on our trucks to beat a stock one

atleast you can say you cracked a HEMI in a 4.8 MUAHAHAHHAHA
Old 05-25-2005, 11:19 AM

I'll jump in this with a Hemi Ram owners point of view. I've never reaced a Silverado on the street with a 4.8L or anything else but I did own a 00 EC Silverado with a 5.3L.. Stock for stock, my 04 Hemi Ram Quad Cab is faster than my 00 5.3L Silverado extend cab was. The Silverado was and still would be faster when I sold it to by my Ram than my Ram currently is, both truck times in sig.. The GM engine with their ECM and MAF design intake system are much more mod friendly than the DC PCM and Speed Density system. When I put an intake and exhaust on my 00 Silverado, it definitly made a difference. When I did the same thing to my Ram, I really couldn't tell other than from the sound increase. So mod for mod, the GM engine responds much better! Next is the transmission, as much as GM guys complain about the 4L60E, it shifts 10X better than the DC slush box in my Ram. The down shifts in my Ram are HORRIBLE and SLOW! When punched on the freeway doing say 70 mph, it literally takes 2-3 seconds for it to down shift from the 2nd OD the trans has to the 2nd gear passing gear, by then, a race will be over. It doesn't shift straight into 2nd gear, it goes from 2nd OD to 1st OD to 3rd then to 2nd, damn it's slow. The TM in GM programming is bad, the TM in DC programming is the worst! Also, a Ram with 20's is slower than a Ram with 17's, I was really thinking hard about going to the factory 17's and dumping my heavy *** factory 20's. Don't let the Hemi hype fool you, the Hemi is a good strong engine BUT it's not the street screamer it's made out to be. I really like my Ram over my old Silverado for many reasons but being mod friendly isn't one of them. So if and when you race a Hemi Ram, mod for mod, you guys definitly have the edge. I'm not siding or making excuses for either brand or truck, just giving my opinion on how both trucks respond to mods and how they drive.
Jim
Old 05-25-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Good run dude. Especially vs a truck with almost a full liter on you. I have not got to race one since 3.90's went in, electric fans, k&N and updated tune.
I want me some Rumble Bee.

Quick Reply: rcsb 4.8 vs rcsb hemi?