Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

realistically 408 NA numbers ( anyone have any?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default realistically 408 NA numbers ( anyone have any?)

those with 408's running NA, what kind of power are you putting down, from searching the web and looking on other forums, i couldnt come up with any realistic rwhp/tq numbers, i seen a few in the mid 450s, and a few with prochargers/turbo's, maybe 1 or 2 in the mid to upper 500 rwhp/tq numbers, i am personally looking for NA numbers, reason being i have now begun the process of building a lanati rotating assembly for NA use , my expectations are high setting a goal of close to 600 to the wheels ( is this to high ?) thus the reason i am asking for realistic numbers if anyone has them

this motor will be built with a CR of 11:8:1

how street friendly will it be would be another story lol but still shooting for pump gas use
Old 04-24-2010, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
those with 408's running NA, what kind of power are you putting down, from searching the web and looking on other forums, i couldnt come up with any realistic rwhp/tq numbers, i seen a few in the mid 450s, and a few with prochargers/turbo's, maybe 1 or 2 in the mid to upper 500 rwhp/tq numbers, i am personally looking for NA numbers, reason being i have now begun the process of building a lanati rotating assembly for NA use , my expectations are high setting a goal of close to 600 to the wheels ( is this to high ?) thus the reason i am asking for realistic numbers if anyone has them

this motor will be built with a CR of 11:8:1

how street friendly will it be would be another story lol but still shooting for pump gas use
Don't know any 408 owners that I can think of. I know a 402 and a 416 owner, both making 540/500
Old 04-24-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine should be close to 11:1, i havent got on the dyno yet but ill post numbers when i do, im not expecting real high numbers with the intake set up and cam i have, but those will be replaced when i get the funds...ill post what i do when i get on the dyno tho, im a NA guy too...seems like most people go a different direction now days, i always like NA tho
Old 04-24-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skeet, what's your current combo now?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went to a local dyno day and saw a 408 trans am put down 495 N/A and 650 on a 150 shot.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Skeet, what's your current combo now?
i'd say look at my sig but i deleted it from all forums lol

anyway right now i consist of a stock lq9 rotating assembly, with l92 heavly ported heads, with hollow valve stems, 660 lift double springs, a 232/238 advertised at 230/236 cam, the FAST LSXr 102MM intake and throttle body, electric water pump, e-fans, 4400-4600 stall which flashes at 4500, stepped kooks headers 1 7/8s-2 inch headers, dual 3" exhaust into 2 xr1 borlas, 4l60e performabuilt tranny,detriot true trac 4:56 gears, last dyno i put down 480+/440+. oh yeah and its 4 linked, with fuel cell and race seats.

i'm shooting for a maxed out setup since i hardly drive the truck much anymore so street manors are out, but i do wanna stay within the boundries of still beingable to drive it on the street, my intentions is to build a light weight rotating assembly and be able to spin it up to around 7500-8k rpms for max power and gains, if it takes upping the stall i wont have a problem with it, but then again like i mentioned street manors will pretty much be history.

right now i do have a new cam which i may go ahead and try out its a 235/239 with a tight lsa at 113 +1 per patricks spec's wee did up the lift to a mere 621/624 even though its simular to the cam i have now i think its gonna help out in a small way. hoping where i need it, which is up top, even though my torque is rather low at 440 i think i can achieve what i am after, before the 408 goes in which will be feb. of next year i wanna run the setup i have now one more winter and on the nitrous before i move forward on the 408

basically i am after an all out NA motor then with a little juice behind it, i been told by a few why change since the setup i have is performing so well? well my answer is the setup i have now isnt going anywhere, it will be put up for backup in worse case scenario of the 408 crashing i'll use everything i have as per top end for the 408
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by banker099
mine should be close to 11:1, i havent got on the dyno yet but ill post numbers when i do, im not expecting real high numbers with the intake set up and cam i have, but those will be replaced when i get the funds...ill post what i do when i get on the dyno tho, im a NA guy too...seems like most people go a different direction now days, i always like NA tho
do you plan on doing a gear swap and going with a bigger stall? seems like youre close to the direction i am heading?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by pittman
Don't know any 408 owners that I can think of. I know a 402 and a 416 owner, both making 540/500
i know if another 402 that could be making close to that lol

Originally Posted by Black'Rado
i went to a local dyno day and saw a 408 trans am put down 495 N/A and 650 on a 150 shot.

to me thats weak i mean i know i am wanting to see realistic numbers but damn i would think anything above 550 NA would be ideal? no?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Skeet youre going to need more than the top end you have right now to get 600rwhp. The guys who are hitting those numbers on tech with manual trans are running sheetmetal intakes and canted valve cylinder heads and more compression. Since you dont run it on the street much why not bump up the CR and mix in a little 110 with some 93?
Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Skeet youre going to need more than the top end you have right now to get 600rwhp. The guys who are hitting those numbers on tech with manual trans are running sheetmetal intakes and canted valve cylinder heads and more compression. Since you dont run it on the street much why not bump up the CR and mix in a little 110 with some 93?
thanks cody, yeah i know what ya mean, i been talking to a few engine builders about it and one mentioned a sheet metal intake, honestly i am not afraid to spend the cash its more of the end result? i know where youre heading with the upping cr thing trust me its been going through my mind for a few days now, one told me stay at 11:1 others say 11:8:1 and as far as 12:2:1, if i remember correctly i ran the 706 casting heads on the lq9 and the cr was up around mid 12's? without issues.

so, in your own experience and anyone else that wants to have input, what CR could we possibly be looking at? i mean come on, say this was your build youre not cutting corners youre buying the best parts money can buy, how would you or anyone for that matter go about doing so.?

myself i talk to big name builders, i get there info and there advice then i think on it then make my decissions.i keep in mind some think to damn soft as in being mild, well i have mild now, i dont want mild lol i want aggressiveness

on a side note, Cody i know 600 to the wheels is high,its just a number i picked and trying to achieve, thats why i mentioned realistic numbers ones that are proven, but i do know i can push over 500 without doubt, now how far over 500 is another story, one that i am willing to try and accomplish, if 550 comes out of it then i am more then happy, anything above that would be just plain badass

Quick Reply: realistically 408 NA numbers ( anyone have any?)