Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

realistically 408 NA numbers ( anyone have any?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you can achieve very close to 600rwhp. You should talk to Richard at WCCH, last time I talked to him he had some very interesting heads coming down the chute that may meet your needs. Id talk to Beck about a sheetmetal manifold. It will suck on the street due to heat soak but at the track with a bag of ice on it to get it nice and cool it ought to be fun.

On the CR thing I have no personal experience other than I ran 11.2:1 on 93 towing with over 30*s of timing with no problems. From what Ive read on tech mid 12s is pretty decent for a stout street setup on race gas.

Im interested to see how this all pans out, I bet it will be fun
Old 04-24-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm only sitting at 465\450, sure wish I was at 550 right now. My problem would be solved...lol.

The 416 I mentioned is running 11.8 compression and running on 91 octane. He thinks you can run 12.1 and have no problem.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about building a NA set up myself but the competition is getting really tough. I love fast NA set ups but im afraid im eventually going to have to jump on the FI bandwagon.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pittman
I'm only sitting at 465\450, sure wish I was at 550 right now. My problem would be solved...lol.

The 416 I mentioned is running 11.8 compression and running on 91 octane. He thinks you can run 12.1 and have no problem.

i still think you can achieve 500 or closer to it with what you have i ran over 12 cr with the 5.3 heads on a lq9 so i know 12.1 is no problem

Originally Posted by amadeospike
I thought about building a NA set up myself but the competition is getting really tough. I love fast NA set ups but im afraid im eventually going to have to jump on the FI bandwagon.

what competition you speak of lol !! FI has crossed my mind several times lol just cant justify putting down serious money at once i rather put it down little at a time lol without going in debt for a few years
Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skeet
those with 408's NA, what kind of power are you putting down, from searching the web and other forums, i couldnt come up with any realistic rwhp/tq numbers, i seen a few in the mid 450s, and a few with prochargers/turbo's, maybe 1 or 2 in the mid to upper 500 rwhp/tq numbers, i am looking for NA numbers, reason being i have now begun the process of building a lunati rotating assembly for NA use , my expectations are high setting a goal of close to 600 to the wheels ( is this to high ?)
this motor will be built with a CR of 11:8:1

how street friendly will it be would be another story lol but still shooting for pump gas use

...i know where youre heading with the upping cr thing trust me its been going through my mind for a few days now, one told me stay at 11:1 others say 11:8:1 and as far as 12:2:1, if i remember correctly i ran the 706 casting heads on the lq9 and the cr was up around mid 12's? without issues.

...say this was your build youre not cutting corners youre buying the best parts money can buy, how would you or anyone for that matter go about doing so?

myself i talk to big name builders, i get there info and advice then i think on it...
Pump gas only, right? Or do u plan on relying on race gas whenever u drive it or just on max effort runs?

11:1 on 93 is what I'd planned on a motor build, cause that's reasonable in terms of gas quality from what I've read. When I planned on doin this was some yrs ago, but ahh...some things got in the way of that build. I wanna be able to gas up anywhere on 93, & not rely on race gas. Your build is max effort, I'm not. What do u believe will be key if u run say 11.8-12.2?

My guess is tune, cam choice, & gas octane. Did I leave any out?

Originally Posted by skeet
i'd say look at my sig but i deleted it from all forums lol

anyway right now i consist of a stock lq9 rotating assembly, with l92 heavly ported heads, with hollow valve stems, 660 lift double springs, a 232/238 advertised at 230/236 cam, the FAST LSXr 102MM intake and throttle body, electric water pump, e-fans, 4400-4600 stall which flashes at 4500, stepped kooks headers 1 7/8s-2 inch headers, dual 3" exhaust into 2 xr1 borlas, 4l60e performabuilt tranny,detriot true trac 4:56 gears, last dyno i put down 480+/440+. oh yeah and its 4 linked, with fuel cell and race seats.

i'm shooting for a maxed out setup since i hardly drive the truck much anymore so street manners are out, but i do wanna drive it on the street, my intention is to build a light weight rotating assembly and be able to spin it up to around 7500-8k rpms for max power and gains, if it takes upping the stall i wont have a problem with it,...

i think i can achieve what i am after, before the 408 goes in which will be feb. of next year

basically i am after an all out NA motor then with a little juice behind it,...
What Lunati reciprocating assembly u goin w/. specifically or p/n's? Plan on a kit or pick your parts? I mean as in what rods, what crank, what pistons? I'd like to see how someone else thinks.

Originally Posted by pittman

I don't follow much on drag threads, but skeet & u are who I'd consider to be guys I'd watch. You're more street friendly, but skeet has to do as he wishes, & I wish him G/L on this goal.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have nothing constructive to add to this thread, but my goals/build plans consist of a 427 with a worked L92 h/I something in the neighborhood of a 238/242 ish cam running about 11.5cr. My goals were 500-550 rwhp. I'm not sure how realistic that is but I think 500 for a 408 would be easily doable (not necessarly easy, but not too dificult) I'm hoping for a solid 11sec truck N/A that I can daily drive. Should be a fun goal!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:07 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

my l92 put down 458/435 in the dead heat of summer through an auto and heavy *** 22's!!!!! dyno graph was showing where it flat lined out from the truck intake and stock injectors meeting thier limits at 6300 rpms...

its got a 230/242 cam the heads have ben shaved lightly and the runners have been EVER SO LIGHTLY touched up .

i bet with 60* temps and the t56 in now i bet i can get a really nice number!!

t56's uaully free up 10-15 hp right? + lighter stock alloys and the cool wheather i bet low 470's .... but im just dreamin . i hear tall gears really eat up HP on the dyno and i have 4.88's now
Old 05-03-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Pump gas only, right? Or do u plan on relying on race gas whenever u drive it or just on max effort runs?

Plans to rely on 93 octane, i yet to run race fuel or any additives

11:1 on 93 is what I'd planned on a motor build, cause that's reasonable in terms of gas quality from what I've read. When I planned on doin this was some yrs ago, but ahh...some things got in the way of that build. I wanna be able to gas up anywhere on 93, & not rely on race gas. Your build is max effort, I'm not. What do u believe will be key if u run say 11.8-12.2?

sorry to hear about things getting in the way, trust me it happens when i say MAXED out take it lightly i would by all means like to still beable to drive it on the street without issues like i do now

as far as the key to running 11:8 - 12:2 has alot to do with the overall setup how its built, and how well its built and which quality parts were used to build it. like mentioned i drove my ecsb when it was above 12:5:1 with the 706 casting heads on a lq9 short block without issues and drove it everyday 140 mile round trips to work.

My guess is tune, cam choice, & gas octane. Did I leave any out?

good guess, its all these rolled up into one!! cam choice will be huge, yes tune will play a big part of it, she'll run on 93 octane the heads will be flowed once again, then checked to see if anymore porting can be done on them they'll be reworked if needed

What Lunati reciprocating assembly u goin w/. specifically or p/n's? Plan on a kit or pick your parts? I mean as in what rods, what crank, what pistons? I'd like to see how someone else thinks.

this build is being pieced together the crank is lanati pro series billet crank, the rods are lanati pro series billet rods, the pistons are diamonds but not set on them yet, theres lots of time to complete this build its something i'm not gonns throw together everything will be thought out snd printed.i dont expect to complete or muchless install it until first of next year after i get one more winter run on the setup i have now, which i have yet to spray it

I don't follow much on drag threads, but skeet & u are who I'd consider to be guys I'd watch. You're more street friendly, but skeet has to do as he wishes, & I wish him G/L on this goal.
thanks, actually pitman was one truck i had in the back of my mind as far as NA setups, he put down some respected numbers

Originally Posted by white1
I have nothing constructive to add to this thread, but my goals/build plans consist of a 427 with a worked L92 h/I something in the neighborhood of a 238/242 ish cam running about 11.5cr. My goals were 500-550 rwhp. I'm not sure how realistic that is but I think 500 for a 408 would be easily doable (not necessarly easy, but not too dificult) I'm hoping for a solid 11sec truck N/A that I can daily drive. Should be a fun goal!
i agree with you i think 500 is easy to reach, BUT i also think 550 and just maybe a tad over is also easy to an extent, that 427 is gonna be sweet and should deffinately reach your goal without adoubt, i see no issue having a 11 sec truck, i have one now, i ran saturday in some fugged up weather and was still managing 11.6-7 runs during the evening as to 80*+ weather and 90*+ humidity

Originally Posted by daryn c
my l92 put down 458/435 in the dead heat of summer through an auto and heavy *** 22's!!!!! dyno graph was showing where it flat lined out from the truck intake and stock injectors meeting thier limits at 6300 rpms...

its got a 230/242 cam the heads have ben shaved lightly and the runners have been EVER SO LIGHTLY touched up .

i bet with 60* temps and the t56 in now i bet i can get a really nice number!!

t56's uaully free up 10-15 hp right? + lighter stock alloys and the cool wheather i bet low 470's .... but im just dreamin . i hear tall gears really eat up HP on the dyno and i have 4.88's now
some nice numbers foresure, is your cam custom spec'ed? yeah those 22's doesnt help, that l92 truck intake sure flat lined early i was pulling above 6600 when i was running it, then the cam is probably playing a big roll in that, you mind sending me the full spec's on it? just wanna see what it looks like.so how much was milled on the heads? mine were milled .015 using a .040 gasket to achieve 11:1 but then again your bore is so slightly bigger on the 6.2. dyno in some cooler weather with that T56 and smaller tires those numbers will go up foresure. as for gears i run 4:56's which has proved to work well with my setup i personally dont think youre dreaming you'll come close to the 470 mark in way better weather. by the way get some better injectors
Old 05-04-2010, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

theres a 408 sticky on ls1tech check dyno section
i think 540 was average to wheels
Old 05-04-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cmiller
theres a 408 sticky on ls1tech check dyno section
i think 540 was average to wheels
yeah i seen that, i know my goals are way out there as some would think or say, but i managed to pull off 480 + with my stock short block i figure if i can pull off 560-570 i'm in the good and achieved some respected numbers

Quick Reply: realistically 408 NA numbers ( anyone have any?)