Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Reduced engine power

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced engine power

I got in my truck tonight and started it up and it seemed to fire up faster then normal and once it did the idle was a lot quieter and then across the screen it said reduced engine power.it started to idle rough in park. So i turn it off for about 5 secs and turn it back on and it fires up normally, idle sounds good, and it didnt say reduced engine power. I drove it for about 10 mins and everything seemed fine. Took an OBD II scanner to it and pulled up these codes. The bank 1 and Bank 2 sensor keep coming back on. I have had the tuner turn those off twice now. What do you guys think?

P1516 Manf Control Veh.Spd.Control Aux Inputs
p2108 TAC module Performance
P2A01 02 Bank 1 Sensor 2 Range/Performance X2 listed code twice
P2A04 02 Bank 2 Sensor 2 Range/Performance X2 listed code twice
U0107 Lost Comm. With Throttle Control Module
Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Just at a glance at those codes, it reminds me of a tuning problem or a tuning malfunction.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Just at a glance at those codes, it reminds me of a tuning problem or a tuning malfunction.
hmm...anyone else?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

ttt...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Reduced engine power notice has something to do with the fly by wire throttle body. Any time anything at all happens to the throttle body it will reduce engine power for safety reasons. Check the TAC module connectors for water intrusion. There is a TSB for replacing the throttle body connector but it lists different codes.

Here's some stuff I found:

DTC P1516

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The predicted throttle position (TP) is compared to the actual throttle position. The two values should be within a calibrated range of each other. Both the powertrain control module (PCM) and the throttle actuator control (TAC) module redundantly monitor the predicted and actual throttle position. DTC P1516 sets if the PCM detects an out of range condition between the predicted and the actual throttle position.

DTC P2108

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The throttle actuator control (TAC) module contains data which is essential for proper TAC system operation. The TAC module continuously tests the integrity of this data. When the TAC module is unable to write or read data to and from random access memory (RAM), or the TAC module is unable to correctly read data from the flash memory or an internal TAC module processor fault is detected, this DTC sets.

The U0107 was set because the PCM detected a loss of data on the network lines.

I couldn't find any info on your O2 codes.

I've heard of some people having to replace the throttle body for problems like this.

Last edited by sixltrbtr; 10-28-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rfoster
Reduced engine power notice has something to do with the fly by wire throttle body. The P2108 is what caused it. Any time anything at all happens to the throttle body it will reduce engine power for safety reasons. Could have just been a glitch. Maybe some carbon build up caused the throttle blade to stick. You might check to see if it is clean.
parke10 had suggested that it was probably something having to do with throttle body sticking or something or being a glitch. Everything ran fine today so i am guessing it was a glitch.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I change my original post to add some more useful data.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixltrbtr
Reduced engine power notice has something to do with the fly by wire throttle body. Any time anything at all happens to the throttle body it will reduce engine power for safety reasons. Check the TAC module connectors for water intrusion. There is a TSB for replacing the throttle body connector but it lists different codes.

Here's some stuff I found:

DTC P1516

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The predicted throttle position (TP) is compared to the actual throttle position. The two values should be within a calibrated range of each other. Both the powertrain control module (PCM) and the throttle actuator control (TAC) module redundantly monitor the predicted and actual throttle position. DTC P1516 sets if the PCM detects an out of range condition between the predicted and the actual throttle position.
I was having this issue on my 04 GMC - it kept giving me the P1516 code and what was happening was the motor would still run but no throttle. Did it like 10 times in one day. So i got fed up and took the throttle body off my 04 Chevy and havent had the issue since. I think the TB sensor was going bad!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3}
I got in my truck tonight and started it up and it seemed to fire up faster then normal and once it did the idle was a lot quieter and then across the screen it said reduced engine power.it started to idle rough in park. So i turn it off for about 5 secs and turn it back on and it fires up normally, idle sounds good, and it didnt say reduced engine power. I drove it for about 10 mins and everything seemed fine. Took an OBD II scanner to it and pulled up these codes. The bank 1 and Bank 2 sensor keep coming back on. I have had the tuner turn those off twice now. What do you guys think?

P1516 Manf Control Veh.Spd.Control Aux Inputs
p2108 TAC module Performance
P2A01 02 Bank 1 Sensor 2 Range/Performance X2 listed code twice
P2A04 02 Bank 2 Sensor 2 Range/Performance X2 listed code twice
U0107 Lost Comm. With Throttle Control Module
If the rear 02 sensor codes keep coming back ALL the checks for them haven't been turned off in the tune.

The TAC module code is probably what threw you into REP mode. Check connections at the TAC module and TB. I'd suspect water. Only time I've thrown those and the connections were wet from an engine cleaning.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for takin the time to respond KY.. But this thread is ancient haha.. I havent had a problem since i started this thread a year ago..

Quick Reply: Reduced engine power