Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Relocating Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Relocating Battery

I spent the afternoon trying to find this doing searches, well not the whole afternoon, maybe a couple of hours, well actually maybe a half hour...
I've noticed some of you cooler cats have your battery located under the fender brace, next to the firewall, on the passenger side of the truck.
I measured, there doesn't seem to be enough height. Am I measuring wrong, or are you using a shorter battery than my stock one, or is there less space on a 2500?
Thanks, Mike.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can just remove the fender brace with no ill effects to fit a normal sized battery in there... They come out pretty easy, heck i have to remove the driver side one just to remove the cover off of the master fuse bus lol.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I could swear that I saw one with the bracket still in place. I'm a believer in adding brackets, braces, bolts, or other supports, not subtracting them. I'm sure that it wouldn't be on the truck if GM could save a few cents by leaving it off.
Thanks though, RoninsDenali.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

well, im sure GM had a good reason putting them in, but i've seen some dual-battery setups that did not have the one on the passenger side. However, if you really want to keep that in place a shorter battery would work fine as long as you can atleast meet the Cranking Amps and Cold Amps rating of the original Delco battery.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=RoninsDenali]i've seen some dual-battery setups that did not have the one on the passenger side. [QUOTE]
Did GM do that? If they send 'em out of the factory that way, I guess I could do it. (How's that for being wishy-washy?) I don't take my truck over any sweet jumps, I'm just afraid of developing rattles.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm to be honest i dont remember if that was a GM setup or not...

But another thing that supports my conclusion is.

My Factory Service Manual lists the same GM part number for BOTH batteries when used in a dual battery environment, while i dont have my FSM's with me, they would still both probably be group 78 batteries (dont quote me on teh group number lol)
Old 12-24-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

My buddy's 05 diesel has the factory dual batteries. The fender brace is missing.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also want to relocate to the passenger side. What all is needed as far as wiring is concerned?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Diesels come with a dual bettery setup, you need the battery tray from a diesel passenger side. I'm sure someone can find the P/N for you. I'm just lazy.....
Old 12-26-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

In the factory service manual GM did install an auxiliary battery located on the passenger side. I did take a look at GM parts direct and tried to look for the battery tray with not success, but I did come across a picture (under battery tray) but no part number.

Quick Reply: Relocating Battery