Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Returnless style or return style?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returnless style or return style?

Ok so I have a question about the different fuel systems... My truck was originally a returnless style. But an old tuner of mine told me to switch to return style when I went to a turbo. So we made it return style. I have a sputter at 2000 rpms and I think it's due to running a returnless style factory pump with an aero fpr... I also have a secondary walbro in tank. Should I just take out the factory pump, install the walbro in its place, and run it as return style, or set it back up as returnless. I'm running the blower in my sig. Also I'm running seimens 60lbs inj. What are you guys with similar setups running?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO stick with the return set up, add a pump in place of the stock pump. Not sure why you would think the return style is giving you the issue.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Well I thought the return style might be giving me my issue because it's a returnless style pump with an aero fpr...
Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OOOO, then I believe that pump has the FPR in it, it could be the issue then.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

I can't remember... Maybe you could enlighten me. When some one throws a tvs on their system the have different fuel corrections for both return and returnless style fuel systems... Isn't it if you have a returnless style you have to add a boost / inline pump and if your return style, you have to change out the pump?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every system has a return, the "returnless" style is just inside the tank. If they made your system with the return on the rail, they should have eliminated the in tank pressure regulator. I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and see if your pressure is where you want it (right around 58 or so). Then I would see where it is when it is stumbling. On a boosted application, the fuel pressure is often referenced (there is a vacuum/boost line running to the pressure regulator). If it is not referenced and you are just getting into boost, it could cause a stumble. Basically what's happening is the tip of the fuel injector is seeing the boosted value, and that is deducted from the fuel pressure making the system act as if the pressure is lower.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice. Right now I have a fpr on my rail and I also have a fp gauge in the truck. It generally reads 60 psi in all rpm ranges... Except for 2000 rpms... Then the fuel pressure bounces around all over the place... That what I'm trying to figure out. It's abit annoying while driving around. When I get back in town and get the truck to a shop with a lift. I'm going to pull the tank and take the factory (return style) pump out and put my secondary walbro pump in its place and recalibrate the fuel rail pressure with the boost reference line disconnect off at idle...

Does this sound like a good idea???