Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

ROLL CAGE ???s

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Kids, play nice. I think Casey missed part of your post and I think you have no idea who you're talking to. That solidworks rendering is pretty much exactly the cage he has in his truck. Play nice and take it to pms so I don't have to close this poor guys thread.
Why do I have to be the poor guy???
Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Casey2323
Yawn... My cage is done... complete with an NHRA chassis tag to 7.50 without bars out the back window.... Sorry for my above post and yes the 2nd cage is cool.. but WHY would u install a cage with isnt Legal for anything???... Cages suck... You stand to hurt youself more hitting the bars ... More weight... More money and yes it does look "cool" why have all that and a truck that will not haul ***?
when you have a truck that is capable of high speed through dirt over big bumps/dips and some whoop sections upwards of 4' deep, having a cage only makes sense, cause the factory cab will not stand up to a low speed rollover on the street let alone in dirt, its usually the cheap bolt in cages or chinsy cages that arent built correctly, just wearing a helmet in an offroad vehicle can save your life, but if you dont have a cage you can expect to get hurt, its happens all the time, you can hit your head on a tube, same as a window, a door, the roof a steering wheel something loose hitting you like a sub box....

ill find some pics......
Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Launching!

pic #3 is the the one with full interior looked when it was first built...it has since changed a bit
Attached Thumbnails ROLL CAGE ???s-belt_structure.jpg   ROLL CAGE ???s-gundy4.jpg   ROLL CAGE ???s-salep19092n1.jpg  
Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Launching!

still looking....
Attached Thumbnails ROLL CAGE ???s-post-2-84081-castro_022.jpg   ROLL CAGE ???s-post-2-84125-castro_023.jpg   ROLL CAGE ???s-post-2-84171-castro_024.jpg   ROLL CAGE ???s-62bc_1_b.jpg  
Old 03-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Launching!

first is another shot of the full interior truck
next is jesse james' prerunner

still looking...
im not tryin to make this a offroad thread, just showing pics ive collected of silvy cages

here is another example
http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/.../photo_20.html
http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/.../photo_12.html

google gave me this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ink-build.html
Attached Thumbnails ROLL CAGE ???s-100_1423_211.jpg   ROLL CAGE ???s-s08.jpg   ROLL CAGE ???s-s07.jpg  

Last edited by KleenHall; 03-30-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

any idea on what those cages weigh in at?

most of the drag racers want a safe car/truck but also dont want to add a **** ton of weight . those cages are strong as hell i know and a roll over in an offroad truck is usually alot worse than in a drag strip in a straight line , however ive seen some bad ones but usually in 7> sec cars.

i have to get one done soon and the hidden one would be awesome but to comply with nhra rules for a 10.0-11.49 cage a 6 point cage/roll bar is needed and you have to have the welds visible/inspectable and have the sidebars between your shoulder and elbow , along with the rearover head hoop no more than 6" from the top of your head and the two rear bars need to tie into the frame for additional support but can have bends to an extent. im trying to get the two rear bars to go over and behind the rear seat and into the frame to keep full functionality of my truck . i plan to use c/m to help with weight and bulk . then to wrap it in suede minus the welds and have removable side bars.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Launching!

idk the weight, if you can figure out how much tube you need then you can find the lbs per foot online, maybe use the masking tape mock up trick to figure out tube placement and estimate total length

maybe you can build your cage/chassis and have it tech'd before finishing it and hiding the tube work, this is allowed in offroad cause usually roofs are cut off to weld 360*, or even just a cutout in the body panel to finish the weld and have it inspected

use these for the door bars
Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the dead. Has anybody found out if a company makes a cage that will fit??
Old 12-29-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverado.408
From the dead. Has anybody found out if a company makes a cage that will fit??
bought mine as a kit from S & W race cars cut to fit, fits perfect bends were precise
Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

How much was the cage? Really thinking about building my own.

Quick Reply: ROLL CAGE ???s