Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Rollcages - DFW - Any info and pics are very welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rollcages - DFW - Any info and pics are very welcome!

Well guys, its come to my attention that I need a roll cage in the coming months. I would like to keep the business in DFW simply for the fact that I know a roll cage isn't a 1 hour job and I don't wanna get a rental or stay in a motel. Does anyone know of a shop in/around DFW that has experience with roll cage fabrication, specifically in trucks?

Also, pics are very appreciated.. I have only seen a few designs before, mostly cutting through back windows and through the bed.. I have a fiberglass tonneau and the trucks a daily driver, so less holes the better =)

Thanks guys!
Lurius
Old 10-11-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Umm...you have a EC so you're going to be hard pressed to get pictures. AFAIK, nobody has a roll cage in an EC truck. That's not to say there aren't a few that need them but....I've nevre seen any pics.

If I were you I'd avoid putting it through the back window being an EC and all. It will probably still need to exit the cab and go into the bed, but I'd try to get it below the window/bed line.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Umm...you have a EC so you're going to be hard pressed to get pictures. AFAIK, nobody has a roll cage in an EC truck. That's not to say there aren't a few that need them but....I've nevre seen any pics.

If I were you I'd avoid putting it through the back window being an EC and all. It will probably still need to exit the cab and go into the bed, but I'd try to get it below the window/bed line.
Below the window is what I was thinking too! I don't wanna remove the tonneau since I keep my bottle, some nitrous electronics, and sometimes cargo in the bed.

I guess what would be better to ask for here would be any shops at all who do rollcages in DFW.. Prefer a shop with NHRA legal experiences.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Depending on the angle of the down tubes it can probably all fit in the inside of the truck. The main hoop needs to be 6 inches (MAX) behind the driver and the rear bars need to no lower the 5 inches from the top of the main hoop. You also need door bars that mount on the main hoop at the top of your shoulder and extends to roughly the firewall.

That is for cars under 11.49, under 9.99 full cage is required.

You could probably get aways with a standard hoop and then just run bars door and rear bars off of it. It is kinda PIA, I have been mocking one up in my stang lately....
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you are going to put a cage in your daily driver? You are crazy man, more power to you
Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Launching!

My dad just had a roll cage put in his 78 Camaro. There's a new vid on this link that shows it I believe and probably some other vids too. My dad said he'll e-mail the guys name and number to me when he gets back to the office tomorrow...if you like his work that is. He's in the DFW area, maybe Plano to be exact.

http://www.youtube.com/user/78rat
Old 10-11-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Depending on the angle of the down tubes it can probably all fit in the inside of the truck. The main hoop needs to be 6 inches (MAX) behind the driver and the rear bars need to no lower the 5 inches from the top of the main hoop. You also need door bars that mount on the main hoop at the top of your shoulder and extends to roughly the firewall.

That is for cars under 11.49, under 9.99 full cage is required.

You could probably get aways with a standard hoop and then just run bars door and rear bars off of it. It is kinda PIA, I have been mocking one up in my stang lately....
I am hoping for low 11's oneday, so I might as well go with the style you described. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
So you are going to put a cage in your daily driver? You are crazy man, more power to you
Ive been called worse lol.

Originally Posted by greencountry05
My dad just had a roll cage put in his 78 Camaro. There's a new vid on this link that shows it I believe and probably some other vids too. My dad said he'll e-mail the guys name and number to me when he gets back to the office tomorrow...if you like his work that is. He's in the DFW area, maybe Plano to be exact.

http://www.youtube.com/user/78rat
Awesome, let me know!

-Lurius
Old 10-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Ok, got it...

Mark @ Texas Thunder Racing 972-712-6558
Little Elm, TX
Old 10-12-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Cool, i'll have to giv'm a call next week and see what they would charge.

Im thinking the bar could extend down from the roof of the car, have a bar go the width of the vehicle just below the window line, then through cab wall, thriough bed wall and floor and to the frame.. I'd be ok with that I think.. I just need to be sure it will be all legal for track.. incase I come across some picky track.

-Lurius
Old 01-15-2008, 10:34 PM
LS1Tech Whore

did you ever get it done?