Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

rough ride, bumpsteer, etc~~please come in

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having a similar problem for awhile. I would constally have to correct steering every grove in the road it would try to follow. Turns out my inner tie rod was bad crazy thing is I checked for play in the wheel itself right before I took it in to get aligned and didn't notice it. Tech told me it was bad. Night and day difference drives like a new truck just replaced all 4 for 130
Old 07-14-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I called summit and they are shipping me out all 4 of them (warranty) it was like $120 shipped, but will be refunded since I bought them new a few months ago. I tried the same thing, and alignment shop did too, but I decided to give it a try due to the sloppiness in the steering. If that doesn't fix it, I will do ball joints, can't hurt to replace them with 76k miles. If that doesn't fix it, I will burn this bitch...or just have it bagged and addressed at that point in time!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Your before & after numbers appear to be identical. Could you scan your printout & post it up? Or maybe a pic?

Is the wobble you're trying to describe what we call "death wobble"? That's usually caused by worn out parts, or not enough caster, or terrible steering/suspension geometry. I'd ALSO recommend a switch away from twin-tube shocks to mono-tube shocks, no matter what. Problem is, they are harder to find, and cost alot more. BUT, they really are that much better.
Yes sir I can, I don't know how I missed your post

I will get right on that, and upload for you!

What shocks? I hate the BT SP shocks, a buddy has damn near new Edelbrock IAS he wants to sell me, but I have also thought about sucking it up and doing QA1 or Fox for the front, and a decent shock in the rear since I will be notched and helpers soon. Thoughts?

As far as the wobble, it most certainly can be, the bumpsteer is what bothers me, and I could be calling it the wrong thing, when I hit rough bumps, my steering wheel freaks out and **** starts jerking, ride is ROUGH, much rougher than it should be IMO.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same issue in my truck, exactly as you described. Scares the hell outta me when it decides to act up at 75 on the highway. Putting all new tires and shocks on it soon, along with an alignment, so well see if any of that helps. If I can find anything definitive Ill let you know.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had my wheels balanced too...maybe I should rebalance them to make sure they are still good to go.