Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

royal purple oil???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default royal purple oil???

Is royal purple good for our trucks?? Since some of my friends warn me not use royal purple. It will cause problem on my engine? I been doing royal purple for 2 yrs on my truck. Let me know if these oil not good. Then tell me what best brand oil mobil? Etc
Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use purple 10-30 myself. my tuner recommends nothing less. i'm switching to AMSOIL sometime here soon though. royal purple is bad about causing leaks if you try to switch back to conventional though, as are most synthetics.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Go5.3tt06
Is royal purple good for our trucks?? Since some of my friends warn me not use royal purple. It will cause problem on my engine? I been doing royal purple for 2 yrs on my truck. Let me know if these oil not good. Then tell me what best brand oil mobil? Etc
There is nothing wrong with Royal Purple except for the price. There are cheaper oils that will do just as well.

Pennzoil Platnum and Valvoline Synpower both give really good used oil anyalsis. Mobil 1 is good but is a little higher. Wal-Mart has good prices on these.

There have been tales about Royal Purple, but with the thousands of people using it, I have seen no law-suits or heard of any engine failures. You your self have used it two years with no problems.

Good post on Royal purple.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...61#Post1683761
Old 11-30-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

not a fan of Pennzoil, but Valvoline and Mobil 1 are two effective, but cheaper brands.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
not a fan of Pennzoil, but Valvoline and Mobil 1 are two effective, but cheaper brands.
I don't use it either but Pennzoil has been owned by Shell Oil since around March of 2002, and it the leading seller in the oil market.

There were many old tales about Pennzoil that won't go away....like Pennzoil was paraffin based and would sludge up an engine...

Most mineral oils today are paraffin based, this is not candle wax. as some people like to think.

The word paraffin is a very common and basic term for base mineral oil. The MSDS sheets for many motor oils use the word paraffin to describe the main oil ingredient...as in "SOLVENT-DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC PETROLEUM," which is how Valvoline phrases it in their MSDS sheets.

Paraffin is the proper organic chemistry word for aliphatic hydrocarbons...more commonly known as oil. It is also the correct name for wax and candles. But there is as much difference between paraffin wax and paraffin oil as there is between a chestnut horse and a horse chestnut. They just ain't the same thing. Don't matter whether you're talking about Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline or your wife's Christmas candles. If you like Pennzoil, use it worry free. Hope this helps.

http://www.lloydminsterheavyoil.com/crudetypes.htm

Also you can switch between conventional and synthetic with out issues. There are people over on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com who do it two or three times a year without issues.

API says that all oils must be compatible with each other and can be mixed, whether conventional or synthetic.

If switching between them was a problem synthetic blend, a mixture of conventional and synthetic in the same bottle would cause a problem.

Last edited by dlstewart01; 11-30-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
not a fan of Pennzoil
why? Pennzoil Platinum produces just as good of UOA's as top oils such as redline and amsoil...royal purple is the one to stay away from
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Amsoil is a good oil but....

Something to ponder...Amsoil is a small company with only blending facilities, they don't have refineries to produce synthetic base stock oils.. Who do they buy these pao base stock oils from???

Their major supplier of PAO base stock is Exxon/Mobil, the largest producer of synthetic oils in the world. They purchase some Group III base stocks from Shell, Petro Canada, and others. About 90% of their additive packages come from Lubrizoil.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

****, sometimes its hard to believe good or bad about royal purple. I don't wanna them to rip my truck off. So far in 2 yrs straight had no problem. I always follow oil cap weight 5w-30 so I used since with royal purple. No leak bor anything. I'm going do some search about royal purple if they not worth. I probably switch to mobile 1 with full sythenic. What about Asmoil? I know asmoil hard to find. It not many stores that sell those oils. Expect online can do that. Royal purple and any kind of oils mostly avaiable in stores.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Mobil 1 isn't nearly as good as it used to be either. Pennzoil platinum is by far one of the best oil on store shelves right now.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DozerDan
Mobil 1 isn't nearly as good as it used to be either. Pennzoil platinum is by far one of the best oil on store shelves right now.
Pennzoil Planinum has been showing better UOAs than mobil 1. It shows less iron.

I'm not an Amsoil fan. I don't care for their multi level marketing and some of their adds push the limits on honesty.... The first to invent synthetics....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Quick Reply: royal purple oil???