Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

royal purple oil???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

I have an '05 and have been running royal purple the whole time with the exception of a few amsoil changes when I had the truck in the shop for the s/c install and head and cam install. I have had no issues whatsoever.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay what do you think about castrol synthetic and valvonie synpower synthetic oil. Would like to see some people's opinion. since my friend that who work with me. It just happend to his dodge truck. He use royal purple for 5 months and his oil pan gasket eat up and leak. Maybe cause from royal purple run thin? Thats why it worry me and might switch to other best brand of oil for good performance on my truck.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Go5.3tt06
Okay what do you think about castrol synthetic and valvonie synpower synthetic oil. Would like to see some people's opinion. since my friend that who work with me. It just happend to his dodge truck. He use royal purple for 5 months and his oil pan gasket eat up and leak. Maybe cause from royal purple run thin? Thats why it worry me and might switch to other best brand of oil for good performance on my truck.
Castrol Syntec 5W30 is not bad oil for a group 111 synthetic. Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline synpower are probably better. Castrol Syntec 0W30 the European formula made in Germany is the real deal, a group 1V pao synthetic, but it is only available at Auto Zone and some Pep Boys. It will say European formula on the front of the bottle and made in Germany on the back.

Don't worry about the 0W30 being thinner, it is not. It is a thick 30 weight. I have been using the German castrol Syntec for the last 4 years in my 05 Sierra 5.3 with really good results.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlstewart01
Castrol Syntec 5W30 is not bad oil for a group 111 synthetic. Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline synpower are probably better. Castrol Syntec 0W30 the European formula made in Germany is the real deal, a group 1V pao synthetic, but it is only available at Auto Zone and some Pep Boys. It will say European formula on the front of the bottle and made in Germany on the back.

Don't worry about the 0W30 being thinner, it is not. It is a thick 30 weight. I have been using the German castrol Syntec for the last 4 years in my 05 Sierra 5.3 with really good results.
Okay. Why it show European on oil stand for? Which oil should I use for my 84 k10 truck with 350 motor it is making 410 horsepower. Soon put in and should ready to crank up at first time. I thought I may use 20w-50 chevron oil for break in 500 miles. Then change to oil not sure what kind best and what weight should I put? Which oil is good for turbo feed by oil from oil pan line to turbo for 2006 silverado. I thought pennzoil have bad gum in pan?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Go5.3tt06
Okay. Why it show European on oil stand for? Which oil should I use for my 84 k10 truck with 350 motor it is making 410 horsepower. Soon put in and should ready to crank up at first time. I thought I may use 20w-50 chevron oil for break in 500 miles. Then change to oil not sure what kind best and what weight should I put? Which oil is good for turbo feed by oil from oil pan line to turbo for 2006 silverado. I thought pennzoil have bad gum in pan?
Obviously you did not read my post on Pennzoil?

There were many old tales about Pennzoil that won't go away....like Pennzoil was paraffin based and would sludge up an engine...

Most mineral oils today are paraffin based, this is not candle wax. as some people like to think.

The word paraffin is a very common and basic term for base mineral oil. The MSDS sheets for many motor oils use the word paraffin to describe the main oil ingredient...as in "SOLVENT-DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC PETROLEUM," which is how Valvoline phrases it in their MSDS sheets.

Paraffin is the proper organic chemistry word for aliphatic hydrocarbons...more commonly known as oil. It is also the correct name for wax and candles. But there is as much difference between paraffin wax and paraffin oil as there is between a chestnut horse and a horse chestnut. They just ain't the same thing. Don't matter whether you're talking about Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline or your wife's Christmas candles. If you like Pennzoil, use it worry free. Hope this helps.

http://www.lloydminsterheavyoil.com/crudetypes.htm

Maybe you just need to keep using Royal Purple......

Last edited by dlstewart01; 11-30-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlstewart01
Obviously you did not read my post on Pennzoil?

There were many old tales about Pennzoil that won't go away....like Pennzoil was paraffin based and would sludge up an engine...

Most mineral oils today are paraffin based, this is not candle wax. as some people like to think.

The word paraffin is a very common and basic term for base mineral oil. The MSDS sheets for many motor oils use the word paraffin to describe the main oil ingredient...as in "SOLVENT-DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC PETROLEUM," which is how Valvoline phrases it in their MSDS sheets.

Paraffin is the proper organic chemistry word for aliphatic hydrocarbons...more commonly known as oil. It is also the correct name for wax and candles. But there is as much difference between paraffin wax and paraffin oil as there is between a chestnut horse and a horse chestnut. They just ain't the same thing. Don't matter whether you're talking about Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline or your wife's Christmas candles. If you like Pennzoil, use it worry free. Hope this helps.

http://www.lloydminsterheavyoil.com/crudetypes.htm

Maybe you just need to keep using Royal Purple......

Many thanks, I really appericated for your help. I know you try to do all best. I do some research you gave me a few link. Many thanks!