Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

ruined my interior today

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default ruined my interior today

Well I have accomplished something today that I don't believe can be duplicated by pure chance like it happened to me....

Cleaned out the truck today since it was starting to get way too cluttered and began my drive to work. I had a can of primer, grey, and clear left laying in my back seat (I was gonna repaint my mirrors and bowtie again this weekend)

I purposely placed them in the back seat laying front to back so they wouldn't roll off. Well I guess they shifted during the drive and as I was pulling up to a redlight the can of grey rolled off and landed on my seat track and punctured the can (brand new can of duplicolor) and commenced spray-painting my interior while I tried to get out and get the can out... In that ~10sec that it was in the truck it got my carpet, back seat, front seat, driver door panel, EVERY piece of plastic from the back rt side of the cab to the panel behind the emergency brake pedal, the window tint on the front window, back window, and rear glass.... And my Infinity door speakers

I had planned on replacing the carpet anyway so that's not a huge deal, but as far as the interior plastics and the seats and the door panel carpet I don't know how to fix it other than just replacing the panels. The seats are the 6-way power too, replacing them would be way expensive I'm sure.

Is there anything out there that will take it off without hurting the original finish of the plastic? I know the seats are sort of a polyester material so I don't know how they would react...

Got my week old pair of Ariat boots and new nomex work jeans too

This **** pretty much ruined my night at work...
Old 11-20-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh thats sucks to hear dude. Had a can of beer do that one time, and a can of paint do that in the house one time when I set the box down. For the plastics, try some mineral spirits. Acetone may work, but try a small area to make sure it doesnt take off all the color. Maybe a little paint thinner? I know you have a real mess on your hands and wish you luck.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That really sucks, Im not sure what you can do. most cleaners would remove the paint or stain the seats.
I guess do test panels starting with Paint thinner, lacquer thinner, acetone
Old 11-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought about acetone but that's some harsh chit... pretty much everything is probably going to ruin the panels this freaking sucks.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 PM
11 Second Truck Club

man you do have the worst of luck.
i had to chuckle a bit the way you tell the story, lol...
i would say thinner on the pannels but it might take the dye out.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

on the plastics try, warm/hot water, a scrub brush and some murphy's wood oil mixed with water... Yes i know it says it is for wood, but works wonders on plastics.... It might take the paint off... When your finished the plastic will look dull, just put on armorall on it and it will look new again...
Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 PM
The House is Rockin'

first off i my condolences man, try acetone it will take the paint off, but will dry out and matte the plastic. so comeback with some armor all ( i think thats how you spell it?) to rejuvenate the plastic's shine. oh ya paint thinner will work to. but DO NOT RUB THE PLASTIC HARD! or it will take the color out
Old 11-20-2008, 07:39 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
on the plastics try, warm/hot water, a scrub brush and some murphy's wood oil mixed with water... Yes i know it says it is for wood, but works wonders on plastics.... It might take the paint off... When your finished the plastic will look dull, just put on armorall on it and it will look new again...
also a good idea
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't use acetone as it melts a lot of plastics but Mineral Spirits is a great suggestion. The sooner you get to it the better. Mineral spirits are what i use to clean 100 year old rifle stocks, very little odor and fairly harmless to most materials, try a small spot first.

I would be screaming pissed but it almost sounds like a scene from a movie, I can picture it happening to me.
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post this over in the detail section of Gmfullsize. There are some badass professional detailers that would be able to tell you if there's anything that can fix it.

Quick Reply: ruined my interior today