Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Satellite Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 04:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Satellite Radio?

Any of you guys listen to satellite radio? I've been thinking of getting it. My truck is a '00 and didn't come set up for it. Right now i've got a pretty basic Kenwood head unit in it, that's not satellite radio ready. Actually i don't much care for the radio in the truck now, works well, just don't like the layout of the buttons and stuff.

Anyways, the obvious choice is to get a new satellite radio head unit, except that i do actually listen to the radio in the house sometimes. So that got me to thinking about one of those removable units. I don't know if they would hook up to my current radio or not.

Anyone got any experience, suggestions, etc...?

Also, which service do you have, XM or Sirus, likes, dislikes? At the moment leaning toward XM, but only cause i heard they have some Nascar programming.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

I have XM, and like it a lot. I have the one that's an add on, with the tuner that can be used in multiple places. I chose XM because they do have the NASCAR channel. The only drawback, is the only place you can mount the bracket that comes with the kit is right on the passenger airbag control. It kind of sticks out like a sore thumb, but that is about the only place that's flat enough to get a good stick for the tape they give you to mount it. If you have a center console, there might be a few different mounying options. You could also make some kind of custom mount, if you want to go that route. Just don't forget to get an antenna adapter before you start the install. I had to make a trip down the road with my dash all over the floor.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:47 AM
TECH Regular

Yep. Got me a XM roadie and put it on the cell phone mount. Never listen to the radio anymore. You can also get a $20 kit that will hook to your home sound system.
Get a pro-fit cell phone bracket for the silverado. It hangs to the right of the air bag switch area and angles towards the driver....perfect.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

I don't have it personally yet but when I do it will be Sirius. My buddy had XM and switched to Sirius. He said alot of people were switching from XM to Sirius because Sirius rotates thier playlists more often and has real DJ's.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

SIRIUS!!!! I had XM in a rental car before I got Sirius. Sirius is much better IMO.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Question

As soon as sirius gets the Nascar channel, maybe I'll think about switching. Funny thing.....they advertise themselves as "the Official Satellite Radio" of Nascar, but they don't have the Nascar channel. Duh!!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Default Thanks guys

I saw that profit braket on Crutchfield's website, looked pretty cool.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, No, No, that is not a performance mod!
Old 07-01-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the sirius and i love it.. whats better than every nfl football game being broadcast and even the superbowl next year... also the music channels rock compared to xm.. and i listen to both.. because its my job to sell it
Old 07-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Truck addict

sirius and it is excellent. no more static from FM stations. it is better than cd quality imo.

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio?