Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Seatbelt options when installing aftermarket seats???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seatbelt options when installing aftermarket seats???

So for those of you out there who have installed aftermarket/other seats into their NBS (RCSB in my case), what did you do for seatbelts?

Is there a good point to bolt to in the b-pillar if I cut a hole in the plastic covering? Where? What's involved? Pics?

Or is there a cheap and easy to install basic harness bar that goes behind the seats for a 4-point harness??? Brand name/model? How-to?
Not gonna cage this thing yet, way out of my budget, so don't ask.

Just trying to figure out what to do, and find out what my options are for when I install some different seats into my 01 Silverado RCSB.

Please let me know, any tips/info is much appreciated! Photos are great too, so please post up!
Thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone? I figured this would be the site to ask, gotta be someone on here who has ditched the huge factory couch seats in favor for something lighter!

What to do with the seat-belt situation?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could use a belt out of a different truck or car make brackets that bolt on to the seat frame and use the metal from the bottom of the b-pillar and the belts. Measure from the floor up on the truck or car you get them out of for the belt assembly and the bolt location. Most people recover the factory seats or use racing harnesses. If you use a racing belt you should make a bar few inches lower then your shoulders to strap them to that runs from b-pillar to b-pillar.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I'm starting to think the 4-points with a simple cross bar behind the seats might be about the easiest solution.

I'll probably be using the stock factory brackets with custom adapters for the sliders (I don't have power seats in the Silverado), so mounting below the seat shouldn't be a problem, it's the upper mount that I cannot figure out what to do with.

I could even pick up one of those Corbeau retractable 3-point harnesses, but that would only work if I could find a worthy and structurally sound place to bolt to in the b-pillar, but it seems the speaker there is in the way. I have not completely dismantled that panel to take a good look though.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

If you want to keep the 3 point belt you will have to weld in 2 nuts. One ine the lower part of the b-pillar for the tensioner assembly. One in the upper part for the ancor where the belt slides through. They have to have alot of support they are sometime torqued up to 150ft lbs with blue locktight. The bolts most of the time have a 17mm head on them thier big. No matter if you want to make a bar or use a 3 point belt your going to be doing some welding. I would imagine either way would be about the same money. Most of the time I will get used harnesses and mail them in to get re-certified it's about $20.00 and you can get used harnesses for $50.00 each for good camlock harnesses. Or get new lacth style harnesses for $65.00. If your going to race it save your time and money and do it once get a full harness.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for your input bud, you seem like the only guy on the net willing to help and discuss the situation! Asked the same question on other forums too, and no response.

Anyway, I've never done anything like this before on an interior, so it's all new to me. I think the crossbar for harnesses might be easiest, but I'm curious what specs it should be made to, what kind of brackets to put on it for the harness, etc...
Only thing about that is harnesses can be a pain in the *** if I decide to DD this truck in the summer, and not to mention it seems pretty ill advised to run harnesses in a vehicle without at least a basic roll cage, since without it your head and neck are held upright in the event of a rollover.
So I dunno, if that's really the route I want... like you said, do it right the first time, but honestly, this is much more a street truck weekend warrior than it is a purpose built race vehicle.

Have you seen those corbeau retractable 3 point harneeses? I think they only require one nut on the b pillar, but then you have the huge bulky retractor/tensioner exposed and up high, probably ending up near your head if put in a single cab truck...

Well damn. I guess I've got a much bigger project on my hands right now than anticipated. My seats should be here early next week, and I originally thought making the adapter plates was going to be the hardest part!?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

All 3 point harnesses requite 2 bolts on the door side of the vehicle. Just in the picture it has a cover over where one of them go. I am going to switch the seats in a rcsb soon to cobalt SS seats but im never going to race it I will use a 3-point harness out of a car. You also have to rember about the belt pre tensioner for the air bag light so it woulnt come on.