Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Silverado Reclining Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Silverado Reclining Seats

I'm in a wheelchair and I just purchased an '03 silverado Ext cab. It has ample room for my wheelchair to fit in the back seat on passengers side, but the driver seat doesn't recline far enough to get the chair in and out easily.
I've found some fully reclinable racing seats but they don't have seatbelts, and the seats on the silverado have built in seatbelts. So if you take out the seat, you also take out the seat belt.
I also found a set of racing seats with a 4 point harness. The problem with that is I don't want Blue seats and racing seats aren't soft enough.

Is there any way to modify the hinges in the factory seats on a silverado so they will Fully Recline?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What style of truck do you have, regular cab or extended cab?
Are you folding the seat forward or backward?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

By Recline I assume you mean "Back" More. I haven't done it on my 04, but on other trucks I have cut the notch that governs how far they tilt back. An air powered buzz saw is the ticket. I like mine to go back till they hit the back seat. you'll see all the little notches that stop it in different positions, add a couple and you'll be set....
Old 01-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Maybe look at power seats versus manual? I remember reading something about manual seats not going back as far.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you mean that the seat doesn't fold forward far enough to fit the chair in? My truck's different (regular cab), and I have power seats, but there's a handle that's marked "entry" to manually fold the seat forward. Not sure if it can be modified, but what if you folded the seat forward and slid it forward also...would that give you enough room?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one thought, and it would probably take a bit of ingenuity, but I'm sure that it could be done would be to take the rear captains chair type seats out of a Suburban LT (i.e. without a bench) and put the mounting hardware in the front of your truck. They are made to flip way forward to give people access to climb back to the rear bench. If that is indeed the issue.

As far as the seatbelts go, if you can find a race car shop that does cages for drag cars, I bet they could work up a harness system for the aftermarket seats that you are looking at.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Where's the Beef?

Yea i need the seat to lean back. I have to Sit in the the seat, lean it back and lean against the back door to help hold me up while i bring the chair in and put it in the back, behind the passenger seat.

Originally Posted by FastCrewCab4x4
By Recline I assume you mean "Back" More. I haven't done it on my 04, but on other trucks I have cut the notch that governs how far they tilt back. An air powered buzz saw is the ticket. I like mine to go back till they hit the back seat. you'll see all the little notches that stop it in different positions, add a couple and you'll be set....

That sounds like my best bet. I was thinking about that, but didn't know if anyone had done it or if there was some aftermarket hinges to put on it.
I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by viciousknid; 01-28-2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Where's the Beef?

No Dice.

on the '03 there is a rod with teeth on top and a spring on the back side. where the teeth end is where it stops reclining. I need to find an aftermarket piece like that where the teeth don't end or just go further.
I was going to take the rod out and just grind the top of it enough so it wouldn't stop, but couldn't get it out.
Dealership says that it won't come out and i have to find that entire piece already cut if i want it to recline.
Any help would be great. I can get pics if you need some.