Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Silverado SS or Lightning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 09:24 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smooth sierra
I love the way everyone skates around the warrantee issue. ... And if anything breaks in the first 3 years or 36,000 ford picks up the bill as long as you don't swap pulleys.
What does Ford think about swapping chips or custom tuning?

Sad thing about any warranty - 36K miles comes pretty quick on the open roads here in Texas.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:36 AM
Need More N2O Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the way everyone skates around the warrantee issue. does no one value a 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warrantee? yes you can throw a stall converter (void tranny warrantee) and a cam and tuning(void engine warrantee) but then if anything breaks it is on you. You can make a ss go 13 but without a warrantee. the L will do it right off the showroom floor. And if anything breaks in the first 3 years or 36,000 ford picks up the bill as long as you don't swap pulleys. I like that. At this point in my life I appreciate a vehicle that I don't have to work on. even better with it being a SVT vehicle you automatically get a rental car if you have to take it in for anything. I would think with this guy being a college student he really can't afford to be buying new trannys and new engines if he breaks anything. Buy the lightning and drive it for 3 years worry free. by then maybe you will be out of school and can afford to break stuff more. I guarantee the L will give most cars and almost all trucks on the road a run for their money. As mentioned earlier this truck was ENGINEERED to run 13's. you can't say that about the SS. It can do it but was not DESIGNED to do it.

Jimbo.......I would buy the L throw a catback, intake, programmer on it and start handing asses to people......with a 3 year 36,000 warrantee to boot

there are a few things here that you can get by a service dealer. one get a trailblazer converter which stalls around 2300-2400 and it is identiacal to the factory one. you can get a larger cam that has no lope to it like mine. the only reason people can tell i have a cam is becasue i usually run open exhaust. but it still idles close to stock. the tranny will hold up to 450 hp easy and last for a long time. and a custom tune the dealer cant even tell it has one. and to be exact some dealers will still cover it under warranty with heavy mods you just have to know some one.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

I too was in a similar situation as you. I had my 2001 Silverado and was thinking about an SS. So, I went looking around at trucks, ALL TRUCKS. I looked at and test drove the Nissan Titan (pretty nice truck), the Dodge Hemi (hated it), Toyota Tundra (o.k. but no power), Silverado SS (didn't feel strong at all), '04 Ford F-150 (o.k. but once again, not much power), then the L (OH MY!! I loved it).

The L by far was the best truck for the buck. I got mine for around $29,000. I couldn't touch any of the other trucks I listed for that price. Of course, I had to go to the Bay Area to get it, but it was the color I wanted (Silver) with 5 miles on it. I was the first person to test drive it and instantly fell in love with it. The only upside to the other trucks I test drove was the extra room (back seat), but heck, that's what my girlfriend's car is for (more people).

Steve
Old 11-11-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

I love the way everyone skates around the warrantee issue. does no one value a 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warrantee?
I love that quote off the site... "I wiped my *** with the factory warranty".

The only thing I consider my warranty good for is anything non-powertrain. IE: Something I can't or won't ever modify or upgrade.

Tranny goes? Aftermarket goes in.

Engien failure? 408.

Rear diff? Something stronger.

Everything else should still be covered.

Also, with the way I drive, it's more like 1 year, 36,000 mile warranty.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
as for towing and big payloads, like a few have said, i dont see the SS owners pulling 5'ers or hauling 1000 lbs of mulch lol.
I tow 5,000lbs a few times a year... 5th's don't work in our truck for some reason or another.

I had two bucket fulls of wet mulch in my non-bed-lined truck - I should have got pics... The truck was hanging a wheelie. I still have red-stained scrapes in the bed.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Need More N2O Mod

Originally Posted by marc_w
I tow 5,000lbs a few times a year... 5th's don't work in our truck for some reason or another.

I had two bucket fulls of wet mulch in my non-bed-lined truck - I should have got pics... The truck was hanging a wheelie. I still have red-stained scrapes in the bed.

the sad thing is i have seen about 4 ss with 5th wheels in them pulling large campers. the first one i seen i about freaked out. couldn't get any pics because my camera was under my back seat and i was driving down the interstate. you can have 5th wheels in short beds just watch the cab because you will take it out on a turn.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

I'd keep the SS but I'm a Chevy man. Tried to trade my truck in on a new Camaro when it was a few months old. They wanted me to take a $5,000 hit on the truck. No deal
Old 11-11-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mwalls, I thought that the TB converter was smaller than stock, and therefore they would notice and probably would void the tranny warranty. Also the "cool" service advisor at my local dealership is not working there anymore. He has been there for a few years, and I called for him to day and all they could tell me is that he is no longer employed there. Warranty is a big deal to me, because I saved up for a long time for this truck, and I still am paying it off, so I can't really afford a built tranny, or motor. Affording the payments, and the little mods is no problem though.
I have in no way decided one way or the other on this yet. I guess that there really is no correct way to go because either way I will be giving up something.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigTex
What does Ford think about swapping chips or custom tuning?
They have programmers like the Predator now, which I guess you could just put the stock tune back in, but I know a few years ago the only custom tuning was in the form of a chip, and to install the chip you have to scrape off the coating on the PCM termial.....and dealers will check for this and void the warranty if they find that coating scraped off.

A while back I think they started sending SVT techs out to dealerships that requested expensive parts (motor/trans etc) for replacement under warranty. The SVT techs would "investigate"

But it helps to be apart of any local clubs - many good connections
Old 11-11-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo95z28
mwalls, I thought that the TB converter was smaller than stock, and therefore they would notice and probably would void the tranny warranty. Also the "cool" service advisor at my local dealership is not working there anymore. He has been there for a few years, and I called for him to day and all they could tell me is that he is no longer employed there. Warranty is a big deal to me, because I saved up for a long time for this truck, and I still am paying it off, so I can't really afford a built tranny, or motor. Affording the payments, and the little mods is no problem though.
I have in no way decided one way or the other on this yet. I guess that there really is no correct way to go because either way I will be giving up something.

the converter he is using was superceeded from the small one to the 12" and was later superceeded back to the small one (i believe 10.5"). fortunatly his was ordered before one of the many supercessions. if you do buy the latest part number, it will be of the small one although a similar stalled 12" is still available.

Quick Reply: Silverado SS or Lightning?