Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Sky Redline?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:37 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Redline?

Anybody drove one of these? Sounds like it would be bad-***. Lightweight, rear-wheel drive, aluminum block, turbo-charged, intercooled, etc. My fiancee wants to get one but, they're way over-priced imo. I was just curious as to how fast they were. I told her that her next car is gonna be a new camaro!
Old 04-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drove one of the first skies around hear when I was in high school and did my co-op class at a saturn dealer, at that time they were fairly fast considering what it was, but the redline is gonna be pretty darn fast 260 hp, my brothers cobalt ss supercharged is fast and its only got 210 hp, so the red line should be kick ***
Old 04-29-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

some honda buddy of mine was trying to tell me GM use a honda motor or at least got the design of the motor from honda for either the redline or the regular Sky's... thats not true is it?
Old 04-29-2007, 03:37 PM
14 Second Truck Club

My sister has Cobalt SS with the 2.4L four banger. I was very surprised at how quick it was. I can't understand why she didn't get the supercharged 2.0...oh well.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UnrthdxDream
some honda buddy of mine was trying to tell me GM use a honda motor or at least got the design of the motor from honda for either the redline or the regular Sky's... thats not true is it?
No its not, same GM ecotec that are in other models. GM even has a website with buildups on that little thing all the way to 1000+ hp using Gm part numbers etc!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry this is what i was being told about from my buddy... the Vue used a honda v6...

...the General was talking to the Honda Motor Company about buying V-6 engines...
Old 04-29-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well everyone is sharing these days it seems (example, isn't the Vibe a honda chassis or something like that?), but the ecotec is GM design, I have never seen anything to indicate otherwise.I don't follow that small stuff too much...be lots of time for that in the future, right now like my V8's!! Small blurb found on engine:

Ecotec

The Ecotec name was adopted in 2000 for the new generation of Family II engines. The name was already used for the Opel Family 1 and Family 0 ranges. GM intends this new Ecotec to become its global 4-cylinder.

The Ecotec Family II is a modern chain-driven DOHC 4-valve design with an aluminum block and head (L850), designed for displacements from 1.8 to 2.4 L. It was developed by an international team of engineers and technicians from Opel's International Technical Development Center in Rüsselsheim, Germany, GM Powertrain in Pontiac, Michigan, and Saab in Trollhättan, Sweden. Much of the development work on this project was carried out by Lotus Engineering, Hethel, United Kingdom. The engine uses aluminum pistons and cast iron cylinder liners. Vibration is reduced with twin balance shafts.

The current Ecotec line is manufactured in Tonawanda, New York, Kaiserslautern, Germany, and (for Saturn) in Spring Hill, Tennessee.

I drove the standard Solstice last year, pretty peppy even with the base engine, the redline would be great fun!

Last edited by niugnep; 04-29-2007 at 07:51 PM.