Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:06 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thankyou, thats cool of you to post that info.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx for the part #s. i was just looking for something that looked cool and provided less brake dust on my rims. im way past due for a brake job so im upgrading the pads and rotors at the same time. prolly paint my calipers and drums too
Old 02-08-2011, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

heres the # from napa pr86825r then put a L or R after the r
Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bumpers
While we are on the slotted rotors subject.. What about all the ones on ebay? They have tons of them for like 200 for all four. They might be decent like the ebay headers or could be complete junk. What's yalls take? Not meaning to thread jack but it might be useful to the op too
I tried a set of slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic pads for my wifes car from ebay. Was something like $225 shipped. Happy with the quality. Had them on there for 4+ years no issues. Was going to try a set on my silverado but haven't got to it yet. Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless you're spending a lot of money for a quality brand (Baer, Brembo, etc.) it's not worth your money to buy crossdrilled or slotted rotors. Back in the day you bought these with the old style of pads because they would build up gasses under heavy braking and start fading, thus the holes and slots to release the gas. Today the brake pad compounds are much different, and by purchasing drilled or slotted rotors you're just reducing the surface area for the pads. Also, with the slots and holes you're just introducing stress concentration points which will make them more prone to cracking.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

While I am not a fan of drilled rotors, I use slotted rotors on my corvette--heavy time trial usage--and the rotors do not warp as much from the extreme heat like the solid one often do. That being said, I bought the ebay drilled/slotted with Hawk towing pads for my Escalade ESV. After two + years not one problem, they stop very well and last time I check for rotor roll out it was minimal. The reason I bought the ebay ones is they were made in Canada...didn't want to trust the Chinese or Brazillian rotors. Years ago, drilled rotors were machine drilled for cooling and thus induced stress crack rather easily. Today they are part of the casting but are still prone to have stress crack under high heat conditions.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 04SilverCrew
I tried a set of slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic pads for my wifes car from ebay. Was something like $225 shipped. Happy with the quality. Had them on there for 4+ years no issues. Was going to try a set on my silverado but haven't got to it yet. Hope this helps.
Ive also got a set of ebay rotors/pads on my truck for a little while, mostly got them for looks but they did aid in the stopping(probably mostly because insides of stock 60k brakes had crudy build up).
When talking cheap drilled and slotted rotors most people complain about chance for cracking. This only happens under serious conditions (road racing, time trials, extreme towing etc) which the cheap rotor companys clearly say do not do, under normal driving and braking they will be fine.

I did alot of research before i got mine and if iirc they are cheap chinese blanks of course, most are these days, but the holes and slots are machined in the US somewhere.
I got the brakemotive setup, think they are based in Chicago(not 100%), still look great with the zinc coating in the middle of winter, still happy overall with the purchase..

Last edited by skolman91; 02-08-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

great info guys thanks
Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07vmax1500
heres the # from napa pr86825r then put a L or R after the r
link

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+59999+3999999

$124.00 each
Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 72firebird
Unless you're spending a lot of money for a quality brand (Baer, Brembo, etc.) it's not worth your money to buy crossdrilled or slotted rotors. Back in the day you bought these with the old style of pads because they would build up gasses under heavy braking and start fading, thus the holes and slots to release the gas. Today the brake pad compounds are much different, and by purchasing drilled or slotted rotors you're just reducing the surface area for the pads. Also, with the slots and holes you're just introducing stress concentration points which will make them more prone to cracking.
Not worth the money? I would like to see someone buy new rotors and ceramic pads off the parts store shelf and spend less than $200. Not going to happen. I got the ebay cheapies because they are inexpensive and look better than stock.

Quick Reply: slotted rotors