Default Snow + Frozen Lake = Crazy drivers

Check out these geniuses...

http://selfmedicated.net/misc/cartrouble2.wmv

Some people man.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Snow + Frozen Lake = Crazy drivers

pretty damn stupid to be doing some of that on a lake......
Old 09-27-2003, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Um not really. You guys down there in Texas obviously haven't seen much snow for a substantial period of time. Once winter sets in here and the lakes freeze over ALOT of people drive on the lake. Lots of ice fishermen take thier 1-ton duallies or other heavy vehicles out there. The ice can literally get many feet thick. I've seen many races held out on lakes with fire trucks and ambulances waiting out there should an emergency arise. There have been few instances where someone has actually gone through the ice and then it's only happened when it was way to early in the winter or in early spring. So in otherwords, it's not that crazy at all.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:58 AM
TECH Resident

we havent seen snow since '85. I have no problem with ice fishing, hockey, or snowmobiling, or even taking a car on ice.....I know its common up there.....

But I do know frozen lakes also have weaker layers of ice, usually thin ice due to currents and depth. Unless the lake was fully marked, doing consistent aimless spinning at 80mph is asking for trouble imo. Well, not worth the risk of becoming a frozen statistic in 45 seconds. May not be the craziest thing to do, but its definitely not the smartest thing
Old 09-28-2003, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah the ice can get thin in certain areas especially where there is high current flow but that's usually on rivers. Most people are really cautious about it and wait until the ice is safe before they start driving on it.

Now speaking of totally insane, I've seen guys deliberatly hit open spots with thier snowmobiles and ride on the water. If you so much as let off the throttle in the slightest you'll sink.

Like I said before though usually the only time there is a problem is when the eager fisherman or recreation vehicle rider gets out on the ice either too early or late in the winter.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Running snowmobiles on water is very easy, if you have a real sled (meaning 600 to 1000 cc) . I done it, not for any great distances , like the pictures here. With my old Mach Z 780 triple I would start with the skis in the water, and stand her straight up across the ponds (2 feet deep at the most). Snowmobiling is my first passion, you can't beat the acceleration of a 130-160 hp two stroke through a CVT transmission

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288998813
Old 09-29-2003, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Check out these geniuses...
http://selfmedicated.net/misc/cartrouble2.wmv
Some people man.
LOL! I've done moves like that in my old '99 reg-cab Z71. It was 3 or 4 years ago and a big ice storm rolled thru the area on New Year's Day. Ice was 2-3 inches thick on the road. The only places open were a few restaurants and some bars. There is an old dried up lake west of town, so me and a buddy got an idea to go out there and have some fun. The old lakebed was an icy miniature version of the Salt Flats, a big *** ice rink. Had a freakin blast out there on that ice, doing things that I didn't think were physically possible to do in a pickup truck. I'm honestly surprised I didn't blow up the motor/diffs/transfer case. The rev limiter got a healty work out that day.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Their was a snowmobile race late winter in Minnesota last year I guess spring came a bit too soon and where the race teams parked their 40' haulers the ice cracked a few went under.