Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

speedo went out

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo went out

I was driving down the road the other night in my CC, and I look down at the speedo, and it said 80...I was like WTF, and looked at my GPS and I'm going 60ish along with the flow of traffic. Then as I get off the freeway and start to speed back up, it was up to about 110 (doing ~30), and then pegged out shortly after.

So basically I think my guage cluster is shot. I remember getting a letter for a recall on the guages about 4 weeks ago, but if I remember right, it was only up to 80,000 miles. My truck has like 86k on it.

I haven't hooked it up to HPT to see if the computer is seeing the correct speed, but I assume it is, cause the cruise control was working fine.

So are there any hints to getting it working, or do I just have to pony up and buy a new one? Is there any chance I can get it covered under the recall?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Your stepper motor in your cluster is f*cked. It's very common. While you might have 86K on your truck, it is in fact only covered under the special policy up to 80K. BUT....if you go in to your GM Service dept. with a cool attitude and not be hateful or demanding and just ask the Service Manager nicely about possibly covering it under a GOODWILL WARRANTY, then he may just help you out. Trust me, niceness goes along way. If I get a customer who is out of warranty, but they are cool and very appreciative and nice, then I usually try to Goodwill the claim. But....if you coem to my shop all pissy and demanding me fix your car/truck and especially if you didn't buy it here.....then I'm just going to tell you that I can't help you and you need to go to the place you bought it.

So, try the nice way...and ask about a Goodwill Claim.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

good advice. Yeah, I don't really expect them to fix it, but it would go a long ways to help thier image in my mind and may persuade me to buy a vehicle there....I guess we'll see.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell them you dont believe the mileage cause the speedo isnt working, and you dont know how long its been reading high.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or if you are even slightly good with a solder iron, buy a stepper motor off ebay, and solder it in yourself.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Yes very common problem. I am a site sponsor on another forum and sell upgraded clusters. Some have had GM cover them over the 70k miles. There is a class action lawsuit and if you mention that it helps.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by white1
Tell them you dont believe the mileage cause the speedo isnt working, and you dont know how long its been reading high.
Now that sounds like a winner right there...................
Old 10-21-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Prime Power
Yes very common problem. I am a site sponsor on another forum and sell upgraded clusters. Some have had GM cover them over the 70k miles. There is a class action lawsuit and if you mention that it helps.
There is a class action lawsuit in progress. And you can only get in on it if you were sent a letter describing this problem by the Law Firm representing the disgruntled customers. This lawsuit involves a few hundred thousand customers and once it's settled, the settlement money will be divided up among all customers involved. Resulting in each customer will likely recieve a total sum of maybe $50.00 each.

You'd be much better off asking your local Gm Service Manager if he'd Goodwill it.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

But the threat of it has got a few people to get reimbursed by gm where gm before said they wouldn't. And you don't have to have gotten the letter to get reimbursed, just have a vehicle that they say was affected. But other years are affected that they didn't include.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Prime Power
But the threat of it has got a few people to get reimbursed by gm where gm before said they wouldn't. And you don't have to have gotten the letter to get reimbursed, just have a vehicle that they say was affected. But other years are affected that they didn't include.
Trust me, to be included in the class action lawsuit, you do indeed have to be the recieptient of a letter explaining the lawsuit and the outlines of the included parties and the settlement form. I know this because 1.) I myself recieved the letter of Intent for Classaction Lawsuit from the Lawfirm representing the affected parties. It includes a form to fill out with your personal information along with the info of your vehicle. To be included, you must fill out both forms and agree to be included into the settlement agreement, and 2.) I had my Business Attorney from the Street-Scott & Bowman Lawfirm look over the paperwork before I said "f*ck it" and decided it wasn't worth my time.

Common sense would tell you that you indeed have to be the recieptient of a Legal Notice and sign some form of agreement to be involved in this lawsuit. Because, no one is just going to send you a settlement check in the mail for a speedometer classaction lawsuit just out of the blue now are they?

Quick Reply: speedo went out