Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Stealership Refused Warranty Work

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550

I image you have quite a few reddish-pink stained shirts....
Man, that stuff doesn't come out no matter what you try. I just hope that Dexron-VI lives up to its promises of superiority and is even MORE delicious.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um....the MAGNUSON-MOSS act protects people in situations like this, by law the only thing that they are NOT required to warranty is the aftermarket parts that are installed on the vehicle (in this case the Maganacharger....it's considered external and covered by the act), unless they can definitevely prove that it was the supercharger that caused the transmission to break (requiring them to remove and inspect the transmission under warranty) they are still held responsible by law to repair or replace the transmission under warranty, if the supercharger IS found to have caused the problem THEN your pretty much fucked...but until then your warranty is still good by law

Call your service manager and mention the Magnuson-Moss act to him....he may not like you much after doing so but he'll be required to bring your truck in for warranty inspection
Old 07-11-2006, 03:46 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yelo
Um....the MAGNUSON-MOSS act protects people in situations like this, by law the only thing that they are NOT required to warranty is the aftermarket parts that are installed on the vehicle (in this case the Maganacharger....it's considered external and covered by the act), unless they can definitevely prove that it was the supercharger that caused the transmission to break (requiring them to remove and inspect the transmission under warranty) they are still held responsible by law to repair or replace the transmission under warranty, if the supercharger IS found to have caused the problem THEN your pretty much fucked...but until then your warranty is still good by law

Call your service manager and mention the Magnuson-Moss act to him....he may not like you much after doing so but he'll be required to bring your truck in for warranty inspection

Amen brother. If that part failed because it just FAILED, there is NO reason why the dealer cant replace it under warranty. The bottom line is, they must prove the part failed due to the aftermarket part. I would argue this one all the way to the Supreme Court.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all it is they were being dicks. i work at a dodge dealership and dodge doesnt even have to know if you have a blower on there or not. thats pretty much up to the dealer if they want dodge to know about it or not. all that will happen is they will take the tranny out inspect it and replace the parts that are messed up. now after that they keep the parts incase dodge calls them back and they just do that to make sure the parts were messed up. go to a different dealership. im sure gm is pretty much the same as dodge about warranty cause when i worked at ford thats how they were.

also if they keep on do what yelo said cause they have to proove that the blower caused the damage.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott Mills
I took my truck to the dealer today to have a noise in the transmission looked at. It has been making it for about two weeks now, a clicking noise in gear, but not park or neutral. I finally deduced that it was coming from the torque converter. Anyhow the dealer today said that they refused to look at it because I put a Magna Charger on it a couple of months ago. They flat out said that they would not warranty the powertrain of my truck anymore because of the blower. Anyone else have the same type of trouble?

Just call around to different dealerships and tell them your mods and ask them if they will honor your warrantee -- much easier than beating people with the M-M act. That's what I did and found a dealership that *likes* my truck and *wants* to work on it. They told me that anything caused by the mods will have to be on my dime (cool with that), but anything else they will do under warranty.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Launching!

I ended up buying another heavier duty torque converter and will put it in myself. There is only one dealer in this small town and I don't want to keep driving the truck and risk further damage. If I could drive it a few block over to another dealer I would, but the nearest one is 60 miles away. I also could get into it with the current dealer, but I would hate for them to do crappy work because they are pissed off or sabotage something else. I feel that the part failed because it was most likely defective and not because of the extra horsepower from the Maggie, but that's my opinion. This dealer will, I can tell you, get no business from me or anyone else I know. I am sure it wont hurt them, but you never know, this being a small military town it might spread if I make a big enough stink.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

One thing some of you forget about is the GM representatives that visit dealerships service department on random.
Not saying they should not at least check it out prior to saying the warranty is void, but the a GM district rep can have a service manager worried he might get an inspection while the S/C vehicle is in his shop that he's doing a warranty repair job on. The big warranty jobs are the ones GM reps will want to inspect, especially if there is a S/C sitting on top of the engine that wasn't installed by them.
I'm still 100% for at least giving them another shot at warranting it, or offering to pay for some of the parts or labor coverage.
You can replace that TC, but that may not be the problem. It could be the actual pump tapping. If you do change out the TC and the noise goes away, take it to a tranny shop to have the tranny flushed out.
Good Luck!

Jim
Old 07-12-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem, but only with my hypertech. I hurt my trans. and they said they couldn't warranty it because I installed the hypertech. I went straight to the service managers office and told him want the tech said, and told him that the hypertech doesn't void the warrantee. Next thing I know, he said to pull it in the shop! Some of the guys are right, be honest and tell them what you did, and get in good with he service manager and they just might take care of you.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

I would just tell them to shove the warranty where the sun don't shine and get an aftermarket converter.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Launching!

For anyone keeping track, the verdict is a defective torque converter. It was replaced by a Hughes heavy duty towing converter (At my expense though).

Quick Reply: Stealership Refused Warranty Work