Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Stealership Refused Warranty Work

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you happy with the upgrade? It should really move out now with a performance converter.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to burst anyones bubble. But has anyone thought that he may just have cracked his flexplate? i did that 2 times on my 98 k1500 i have a crate 383 with a magnuson blower. i broke the center bolt pattern out of the flexplate the first time, well almost completely, and heard the tappping only in gear, cause that when there is a heavy load on it. just a thought i have done that to a few different vehicles now.... if that is the case. then get a replacement from tci.... you wouldnt believe the side by side difference..... i will see if i can dig up some pics.

also magnuson warranties the gm powertrain so if it is a powertrain problem, then give them a call cause they are pretty good people. they helped me when there crappy tune holed a piston. they bought me a new crate motor to replace the one that went boom... but they wanted the old one so they could disassemble and inspect, to find out what went wrong. and yes i know the gm poppet injectors in the late 90s sucks..... i did the gm conversion to MPFI btw most dealers will gladly service the problem if you are cool and honest..... (i should know i work with GM)
Old 08-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Launching!

More transmission woes, the noise was gone and now is back. Once again in gear only, the tranny shop says it is coming from around the planetary gears now.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVRACER83
...i broke the center bolt pattern out of the flexplate the first time.....i will see if i can dig up some pics....
I'd bet you mean like this:

Scott,
A common place for the 80-E to fail is the bushing in the forward clutch housing where it is supported by the hub on the overdrive carrier assembly at the aft end of the turbine shaft. It's hard to say what causes it but since the forward clutch housing sort of "floats" between the overdrive carrier ont he end of the turbine shaft and the forward clutch hub on the end of the main shaft, it could be an alignment problem. The turbine shaft is held in line by bushings in the pump. This shaft should not wobble around inside the stator shaft protruding front the front of the pump where it goes into the torque converter. The main shaft is supported close to each end by bushings in the center support. This is a huge cast-iron bulkhead in the center of the transmission that separates the main gear train in the rear from the clutch housings and bands forward of it. Unfortunately you cannot check tollerance on the main shaft without disassembly. Any excessive freeplay between the alignment of these two shafts will cause the forward clutch housing to wobble and create a noise like what you hear.

Here's a picture of a failed bearing in the forward clutch resulting from what I've tried to describe above:

This is the Forward Clutch Assembly that foats between other supported assemblies inside a 4L80-E: (bearing pictured above goes right in the top center there)

This should really only be seen in high-mile units. I guess it could happen to one with an off-balance converter or bad flexplate that was causing excessive turbine shaft bushing wear.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Well the old torque converter was bad, my question is will this damage the new torque converter if I continue to drive it? I should be able to see the flexplate from the inspection cover right? When the new torque converter was installed last week the shop said they found no material in the pan, seems to me if a part was worn out there should be some shavings or chunks of metal.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by James B.
I'd bet you mean like this:

Scott,
A common place for the 80-E to fail is the bushing in the forward clutch housing where it is supported by the hub on the overdrive carrier assembly at the aft end of the turbine shaft. It's hard to say what causes it but since the forward clutch housing sort of "floats" between the overdrive carrier ont he end of the turbine shaft and the forward clutch hub on the end of the main shaft, it could be an alignment problem. The turbine shaft is held in line by bushings in the pump. This shaft should not wobble around inside the stator shaft protruding front the front of the pump where it goes into the torque converter. The main shaft is supported close to each end by bushings in the center support. This is a huge cast-iron bulkhead in the center of the transmission that separates the main gear train in the rear from the clutch housings and bands forward of it. Unfortunately you cannot check tollerance on the main shaft without disassembly. Any excessive freeplay between the alignment of these two shafts will cause the forward clutch housing to wobble and create a noise like what you hear.

Here's a picture of a failed bearing in the forward clutch resulting from what I've tried to describe above:

This is the Forward Clutch Assembly that foats between other supported assemblies inside a 4L80-E: (bearing pictured above goes right in the top center there)

This should really only be seen in high-mile units. I guess it could happen to one with an off-balance converter or bad flexplate that was causing excessive turbine shaft bushing wear.

YES THAT PIC OF THE FLEXPLATE LOOKS JUST LIKE BOTH OF MINE..... TCI IS SO MUCH BETTER
Old 08-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVRACER83
YES THAT PIC OF THE FLEXPLATE LOOKS JUST LIKE BOTH OF MINE..... TCI IS SO MUCH BETTER
Hey CHEV, turn off those caps. It's getting late and after my 4th vodka it's starting to get loud!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

sorry at work, and in gm system everything is caps lock.... so i go between the 2 all day, and end up with half my posts caps...
Old 10-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Verdict is a busted flex plate, just like in the picture. The tranny shop obviously didnt notice all the cracks in it when they changed out the torque converter.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Quick Reply: Stealership Refused Warranty Work