Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Steering shaft rattle/clunk revisited. Not your typical clunk thread. Good info here

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished replaced the bearing. The good news: it's very easy to do. The bad news: it didn't help me one damn bit. Groan is still there, really bad when turning to the left, does it a little when turning to the right.

Tried reaching through the window to turn the wheel while standing outside and the sound does seem to be coming from pump/box area. I need to draft someone to turn the wheel for me so I can listen closer though.

This sucks. Time to start reading some bulletins and see how much this is gonna cost me...
Old 10-06-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by truckmann
Well doing some more investigation on my problem I don't think that bearing is it. While it probably could stand to be replaced my problem is really noisy fluid flow in the PS system. I think this is also a common problem. I hope to verify this with a GM tech and I fear that I need a new steering gearbox to fix the problem. The noise and vibration is very load and apparent near my steering gearbox.
I had this problem on two of three OBS trucks I owned. I know what you mean by being embarrassing. Sounds like the steering is dying a gruelling death. Only difference with the third was it was 2WD. The dealer replaced my steering gearbox on both trucks. I hadn't heard that this problem carried over to the NBS.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Default 2004 silverado steering tube bushing

I want to thank the contributor of the info and pictures pertaining to this. I had already taken my truck to my frontend guy and got the intermediate shaft replaced. But, I still had some of the rattle still hangin on. I saw the post on here, went straight to chevy parts, and fixed it, all because of info I got here. Now...on to the noisy passenger side door panel. Just got instument cluster repaired last week, and learned a little I will be glad to share. Thanks to everbody. vbm
Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the thread helped 1 person out. Just like I hoped it would. Enjoy your tight truck
Old 01-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Great Thread! I had a 2003 ext cab that didnt have any rattles in the steering but did have the groaning from the power steering pump. Traded it before I fixed it. I have 2 friends that have 02 Tahoe's and the steering on both is horrible. I now have some things I can look into on them.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gonna give this a shot as soon as the part comes in! Been tired of disconnecting the ISS and pushing it back and forth every few months, time for a more permanent fix (hopefully). I'll post up how it goes.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Update. Installed it this afternoon, not a hard install, just tight working space and need patience with getting the old one out and new one in, but night an day difference. Much smoother steering, not as loose as before. And I swear it is quieter on the highway now too. Definitely worth the $24!!! Thanks a ton for the writeup, I would have never known otherwise
Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hirdlej
. Mine had only a few thousandths only of play and it was enough to cause my "bb rattle".

I have a similar BB rattle in my 2006, it started with a column rattle at idle in park. The rattle has now evolved into the sound of BB's or bad bearing/sand sound occasionally when I am driving or making a turn.

thanks for the info! I'm going to try the clamp method first

I googled the GM PT# and came up with this from Dorman

http://www.dormanproducts.com/mobile...6-905-512.aspx

Last edited by 262_NBS; 01-16-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Update. Installed it this afternoon, not a hard install, just tight working space and need patience with getting the old one out and new one in, but night an day difference. Much smoother steering, not as loose as before. And I swear it is quieter on the highway now too. Definitely worth the $24!!! Thanks a ton for the writeup, I would have never known otherwise
Update on the update: Clunk is back now, 5 months later. Climbed under the dash and found that the steering shaft has 1/4" of play in it. I swear, when I installed it and covered it in grease, it was snug and tight, the shaft could not wiggle at all.

Does the new, revised bearing only last 5 months? Anyone else had the new, revised one crap out?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man i just looked at the sticky on this SIMILAR subject 3 days ago. mine has had the notorious rattle since I bought it and when i did buy it in 2007 they said grease it but the rattle comes back in 10-12,000 miles. well low and behold it came back almost right at 10,000. so i never worried with it bc i figured it'd have to be a recall after seeing so many people have this problem and then replace the steering box and it'd be fine but some people still have the problem. But mine is similar to the "jknox" problem that is moans more turning left. checked my PS fluid seemed somewhat low so i was going to try that first but i hope someone has an update on the new bearings. if that fixes im going to look into it more. this along with the sticky is very helpful

Quick Reply: Steering shaft rattle/clunk revisited. Not your typical clunk thread. Good info here