Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

sugar in the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sugar isn't soluble in gasoline. It will just sit in the bottom of the tank. It won't do anything to your truck, but it will be a pain in the *** knowing it's there.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Upon further review sugar DOES NOT dissolve in gas, it stays in solid form. So for the most part, all it can do is plug you filter.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp
Old 10-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Where's the Beef?

It won't disolve but you'll be going through fuel filters like a ****.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:20 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

that's fuked up right there, really. What people will do to another's property. Go buy a locking gas cap. Pull the bed and drian the tank thru a filter. Then get 12ga. load it with salt shot and stay up all night waiting for the punk to come back.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
that's fuked up right there, really. What people will do to another's property. Go buy a locking gas cap.
this has been on my list of things to do, going to get one today. sorry about what happen, i would drop the tank and clean it out, something like that would drive me crazy knowing its in there
Old 10-04-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jack ur truck from the front, and make a hole on the rear of tank to drain it out plug it back up with something
Old 10-04-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

its a yukon denali lol....my gfs vehicle....and it was a biotch but, i got it finally looks nice and clean in there now i dont have to worry about pluggin filters all the time. my truck is still in good condition..so far i dont have ne problems with neone.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much was in there?
Old 10-04-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

not that much i really only saw it on the float didnt see much on the bottom so i pretty much did it for nothing...
Old 10-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Much to everyones dis-believe enough sugar WILL cause problems. Will it harm the actuall engine??? NO most likely not. Here is what I personally have seen it do.

01 Tundra (I know thats the first problem but still...) Came in with cylinder #1 Miss fire. Went through all the mechanical Diagnostics. check compression, fuell pressure, pressure leak down, spark Plugs, look for lose conections, check for electrical continuity, Blah, blah, blah... SO we Replace the plugs, swaped coil packs and still had a problem. Even though all the injectos were firing and the fuel pressure was good we finally tore the injector rails off to see if there was a faulty injector. Guess what was wrong with Cylinder #1... It was was packed full of Sugar. How did I know it was sugar. It was white and sand like. Oh and I tasted it.....It was sweet so I knew it was sugar. we pulled the tank were we found at least a pound or 2 of sugar...

Remedy was first to have him call his insurance to cover the act of savatoage. They did.

Drop and flush the tank, replace pump, replace fuel filter, clean all Gas Lines with solvent and compressed air, clean fuel rails the same way, and replace all the comprmised injectors.

After we replaced the pump we decided to take the old one apart. It was a good thing we replaced it because it packed full of sugar. The sock filter was also full of sugar.

Oh and now for the kicker The gas door locks on that truck and guess who had the truck last??? His brother... He borrowed it while this poor guy was in the hospital. He was having open heart surgury to correct a problem they found. It was found during his check up in the emergency room after he passed out at the wheel of his semi and drove it into a ditch....

Quick Reply: sugar in the gas tank