Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Swap info, parts I.D., instructions, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap info, parts I.D., instructions, etc...

i have been asking a few questions lately about swaps and what stuff ment. and i think it would be a good thing to archive and sticky really usefull threads. the last few questions i have asked all i really got was a "do a search" in reply. and i did and didnt get very far. ex: i asked why is a 6.0 better other than bigger. i got told to do a search so i did. i searched these terms.

6.0 advantage, 6.0 benifits, six liter, 6.0l, and six oh. and on all of them i got nothing in return. and when i say nothing i dont mean useless threads im talking about " no results".

if there is already a tech sticky or the like i have totaly missed it. i saw the stickies at the top but they arent what im looking for. i have so much i want answered. ex: head selection, i see members throwing around all of these head numbers and stuff and i dont know what they mean. i would like to see a post I.D. ing all of these heads and telling what they came off of. stuff like that. or even part interchangeablity.

Even do it for swap instructions.give a step by step how to on a swap. if someone could take the time to do a nice write up it would simplify so many things. Im coming from a strong ford backgorund and been racing mustangs forever and a few stangs sites im one have nice tech articles and they are very usefull. cause some times the search function just doesnt cut it.

i have found a new love in the new gm motors and would like to understand them better, and wouldnt mind getting none confusing straigth forward answers in the process. i hope my ramblings came out right. and let me hear some more opinions on this.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swap wise, if you're running a V8 already, then it's just a matter of removing and reinstalling which is covered in any Chiltons/Haynes/GM Factory manual. There is NO external difference between the motors, especially if they're the same year. You might run into a few sensor swaps when you cross year swap, but that's it.

Benefits wise... Improved power, better response to similar/same mods as the 4.8L/5.3L. There ARE several threads both here and on LS1Tech covering head/cam/motor types, benefits, and selection guides.

Really, as far as searching... When I was plotting out my swap, I searched "6.0L Swap" and read nearly every thread that had any semblance of relevance.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here ya go, https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...archid=1972885

see if any of these threads may help, i do understand whatcha mean, sometimes to just have to search and seek, maybe even try what youre searching using google or another web browser.

someone just posted about the different heads, that are used and the difference in compression ratio and stuff i'll see if i can find it.. looking for a 6.0l i would sugguest looking for newer than a 99-00 model cause of the cast iron heads. basically you'll end up searching and doing alot of reading to figure out exactually what youre wanting to accomplish in your modification or ie: motor or build. theres plenty of useful info here and elsewhere on the net, good luck with your journey, at lease youre on the right track by asking and doing some searches!!!!