GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Tahoe starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe starting problem.

Hey guys,

My tahoe that I just had to change the fuel pump on, just recently started having problems starting. Most of the time, I have to crank it over, turn the key back off, and try cranking it again, then it will start. It runs fine when it starts, but just doesn't fire right up anymore. Has anybody every had this problem or have any ideas of what it may be? I don't believe it's a fuel pump problem, because it was firing right over after I changed it. Started happening a couple weeks after. I also adjusted the tune on hptuners. All I did so far was take off the torque management and limiters. Let me know what you think. Thanks. Tim
Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Location: TEXAS: h'vill, smallest, boringest town u could ever dream of

fuel pressure regulator is my guess, if it gets worse, thats most likely what it is. or maby... your mass air flow sensor.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is a one way check valve in the fuel pump assy that is supposed to keep fuel from draining from the lines back into the tank. I have experienced this on many GM vehicles, including my S10. I haven't bothered replacing the pump and it has been doing this almost ever since I replaced my fuel pump years ago. Now, even with a LSX swap and different fuel rail/regulator, it still does the same thing.
All I do is turn the key on, wait for the fuel pump to prime the system (~2 seconds), then turn to start. Works every time.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CODE4LS1
There is a one way check valve in the fuel pump assy that is supposed to keep fuel from draining from the lines back into the tank. I have experienced this on many GM vehicles, including my S10. I haven't bothered replacing the pump and it has been doing this almost ever since I replaced my fuel pump years ago. Now, even with a LSX swap and different fuel rail/regulator, it still does the same thing.
All I do is turn the key on, wait for the fuel pump to prime the system (~2 seconds), then turn to start. Works every time.
Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm thinking that the check valve thing is the issue, only because it gets better or worse depending on what kind of angle its parked. I would think if it where the regulator or the mass air flow sensor, it would run bad or not at all. I'll have to try the turn the key wait a couple seconds and then try to start it.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Launching!

myself and a friend had the same problem.....if the engine was cold no prob starting..after running around and shut it down had hard time starting..... took alittle longer than norma normal to start.. .after it was running no prob or hesitation....changed out the fuel pressure reg. on the right fuel rail as your looking at engine..havent had a prob since....starts like a champ....