Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Tailgate repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tailgate repair

Any of yous ever replace the tailgate latch? Its not latching upon closing the gate, it will only lock if i close the gate, then use my finger to push each latch bar over to lock, lubed it up but to no avail any input?? thanks all!!
Old 10-20-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

I think that there is something inside the tailgate that you need to take something else out to get to it and lube it. I seem to remember it happening to me, I'm not sure, just trying to keep you from buying something that you don't need. Take it apart.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bout a year ago i was unloadin my 4wheeler out of my truck, and well the cables snapped..
tailgate, 4wheeler, and me hit the ground hard.
got to lookin and at the bottom corners it bent the tailgate bad, but new hinges ($40) and new cables(free from stealership) it works now, but with the 2 corners bent like they are it puts the hinges in a bind. and here recently when i let my tailgate down, the driverside Latch falls back in the lock position, now everytime i open my tailgate i have to pull the handle and reach over and pull the latch back to open position...

but i dont have a problem with my not locking mine lock when they dont need to.

did you lube all the plastic bushings? im not sure how it would stick but thats my 2 cents...
Old 10-20-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i lubed all the bushings, thats also what i want to avoid is buying things i dont need. i thought some lube would do it but i guess ill have to take it apart. ty guys
Old 10-05-2020, 06:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
............ and here recently when i let my tailgate down, the driverside Latch falls back in the lock position, now everytime i open my tailgate i have to pull the handle and reach over and pull the latch back to open position...

but i dont have a problem with my not locking mine lock when they dont need to.
I just developed the same problem. What's the fix, folks?
Old 10-05-2020, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

I took the latch mechanism out of my tailgate and cleaned it up and lubed it. Works MUCH better now. Easier to open, as well as shutting properly.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the latch pretty juicy and it always was free moving. Maybe too free. As quoted above it just flops into the closed, or latched position upon opening. Maybe the problem is with the mechanism at the handle and not the latch itself?

I'm trying to avoid removing the bezel because I know it will break and I will have to buy a new one.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 10-05-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:33 AM
makes children cry

Received 440 Likes on 361 Posts

might be worth taking the handle off to verify the two little plastic clips that hold the latch actuator bars to the handle didn't break... just warm the plastic bezel up first.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

A hair dryer warmed the bezel enough to keep it from cracking, thanks. Now the entire system is well lubricated, but that wasn't the problem.

I took the right side latch off to examine the difference between a good one and a floppy one. The good one isn't assisted by a spring, it is only held by friction until the lever is released and then the latch is held open by a detent in the lever. This friction is from the head of the pivot post, and the head is much like a rivet in that it's formed in a press. The head on the latch side is about 1/2" in diameter.

The fix was simple. I used a piece of pipe that had an ID that just caught the OD of the axle head, set the latch on my anvil, and smashed it with a hammer, checking tightness with each blow. I got it to feel the same as the right latch. It works like it's supposed to now.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:28 PM
makes children cry

Received 440 Likes on 361 Posts

yay!
that right there's proof that a little physical coercion can go a long way to correct bad behavior.

Quick Reply: Tailgate repair