Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Test drove a new 5.7 Doube-Cab Tundra today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove a new 5.7 Double-Cab Tundra today.

Truck looks good in person, better then all the pics I've seen.
interior is nice, the radio and other control buttons are all over-sized which is nice if you're wearing gloves in the winter. Although the interior quality is very good, I think it's one notch under the new GM trucks which have that German-like looks and feel.

Driving performance is AWESOME, the engine pulls hard and the trans feels great in every gear. I did a couple WOT runs from stop lights, it gets up to 85 QUICK !! too bad I forgot to turn the traction control off I think it may have been a little quicker with tc off. I also stomped it down pulling out of a couple on ramps, it downshifted very very smooth and took the **** off !! I drove the truck up and over a very steep hill, the trans automatically downshifted on the decent,, I thought that was pretty cool. Cruising the highway at about 65mph the ride was good but felt kind of bouncy,, it wasn't a harsh bounce but the ride was not as smooth like the new '07 GM trucks. This may have been because of the optional TRD off-road package but I would figured the off-road package would be stiffer (less bounce)???

Also on the lot was a a 4.7 liter RBSB with a bench seat. I didn't like the bench-seat as much as the seats with the center console. The pull down arm rest was kind of shitty looking compared to the console one. Getting the bench seat puts the shifter on the column, then coll um shifter then has a little switch on it that lets you manually shift the truck if you want,, does anyone really use that manual shift crap???
One thing I really liked about the regular cab was the decent amount of space behind the seats, about double space that my RC silverado has. The seats can lean waaay back,,, almost straight back. I know mine seats can only lean back like 15-20 degrees before it hits the back wall,, so this is a real nice feature to me. I really want to see how the iForce5.7 would feel in a RCSB but the dealer said all of those truck were going to texas and he would have to special order it for me if I wanted one.

Chevy better get the 6speed trans and 6.2 liter engine in our pickups or the are going to get OWNED by Toyota......

If chevy had the 6 speed w/ the 6.0 or 6.2 in a RCSB I would buy it instead of the tundra since I've always been a chevy guy. But since they don't; if I end up buying a truck this year it may be a tundra.

Last edited by fake_usa; 02-24-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:32 AM
On The Tree

Not sure why you posted this in the GM section. The Tundra sounds like a it could be nice truck except it says TOYOTA on the tailgate.

Iv'e always wondered what's a TuRD off road package?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:02 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeanyus
Not sure why you posted this in the GM section. The Tundra sounds like a it could be nice truck except it says TOYOTA on the tailgate.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

I drive by the Toyota dealer alot and I'll keep an eye out for a rcsb. If I see one I'll stop in and test drive it.

Texas gets all the best trucks. lol
Old 02-25-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

off road packages have softer spring rates for better flex.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure why you posted this in the GM section.
cause i own a gm and I wanted to share my test drive with the gm guys

well I guess I could have posted it in the foreign section but who the **** reads that **** over there?? lol

Last edited by fake_usa; 02-25-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:56 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

sounds like a beast, thanks for the feedback
Old 02-25-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with you. If it says TOYOTA or NISSAN, it's not for me! They may be nice trucks but I still would rather buy AMERICAN. A truck that is made by an AMERICAN company.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TurboJohn6
I'm with you. If it says TOYOTA or NISSAN, it's not for me! They may be nice trucks but I still would rather buy AMERICAN. A truck that is made by an AMERICAN company.
Nissan and Toyota have assembly plants IN the US, creating jobs. GM trucks are made in CANADA and MEXICO, taking jobs away from the US. Whats more American about that?
Old 02-25-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TurboJohn6
Well take Dodge out of the fight then, since their profits eventually make it to Germany Seriously though, even if the Toyota and Nissan have foreign components on them, they are still built by Americans, they are transported by Americans, they are sold by Americans, and they are serviced by Americans. I'll always buy what I feel will work best for my needs.

Quick Reply: Test drove a new 5.7 Doube-Cab Tundra today.